Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Training Camp Hunch...RG

darrelgreenie

Everyone keeps talking about Randy being a tough guy and all, but some people were saying the same things about Jansen the past couple of years.

Thomas hasn't slid nearly as far as Jansen obviously, but he's going downhill. As others have said, age and injuries are combining to really catch up to him. At 100%, he's an excellent guard, but he's not at 100% for more than a few games a season.

I don't know what Rinehart's story is to this point, we'll see in the presason, same with Bridges, but I have a feeling quality depth there will be important this year.

Kendall is a LG and still believes he can be a starter.
Why shouldn't he believe that? He was our second best lineman last year. Over his two years here, he's played better for us than Dockery ever had. But because Dockery is relatively young and was drafted by us and Kendall is old and spent 11 years with other teams, the former is overvalued by this fanbase, while the latter is undervalued.

But that's neither here nor there, I guess. I think they should both start, switching one or the other to RG (which is not a difficult transition and the only reason Dockery plays LG is because we had Randy -- he's probably a better fit at RG). Thomas should be the odd man out if he suffers a Jansen-like decline or is injured all year, which is the direction we're heading with him.

I hope Rhino can advantage of these reps and up step up to the plate.

Also, Will Montgomery and Edwin Williams ® back-up centers have looked good in place of the injured Casey.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sports/Redskins-training-camp-notes-8068797-52538552.html

If Will Mont could challenge Casey....and Bridges/Rhino can push Randy Thomas...wow we have the making of a good young line.

I know...i know.. i'm getting ahead of myself, but i can dream right?:silly:

I like the way this guy thinks:

1. Put Chad Reinhart in a right guard—That is what’s happening now anyway with Randy Thomas nursing a knee injury. He also had neck surgery in the offseason. If Thomas can push Reinhart to the bench for the season opener, fine. But the chances of Thomas going 16 games are slim and Reinhart needs to be ready to go.
    2. Put Will Montgomery at center and leave him there—Not to supplant Casey Rabach but to see if he is capable of being the backup center. There are plenty of backup guards and we know that most centers could fill in a guard in a pinch anyway. He’s 26 and although he may not be the long-term answer he could fill in until the Redskins draft a center (OK, I know the part about drafting a center is a bit farfetched).

http://realredskins.com/2009/08/the-o-line%E2%80%94a-five-point-plan.html

Guard-tackle Chad Rinehart, the team's third-round draft pick in 2008, has been running with the first team since OTAs while Thomas recovered from his surgeries. He rejoined the first team when Thomas's knee became too painful for him to go full speed in the 11-on-11 drills, and Bugel said he would be comfortable if Rinehart had to start the season opener against the Giants on Sept. 13 at Giants Stadium.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/-after-watching-several-offens.html

I was pretty surprised that Zorn and Bugel said they were comfortable with him starting at RG. Everything I've heard certainly makes it sound like Rinehart is going to be ready for playing either this or next season (next season for sure).

If everyone, that's still on the team, from last year's draft turns out to contribute and stick, that will end up being a lot of crow in a lot of people's faces, and a rather amazing draft.

Rinehart looks good, Kelly and especially Thomas (if they can stay healthy) have picked up their game and look like they'll be solid contributers, same with Davis, of course everyone knows Mr. Brennan, and even Justin Tryon has been playing fantastic as a cover corner in practice (which is leaps and bounds from whatever it was he was doing last year), and then there's that slacker Horton (jk).

Even if 4/6 of these guys end up being solid contributers, and two or three of them possible starters (Thomas or Kelly, Rinehart, and Horton) that's a hugely successful draft. Like, lights out. I'll take a draft like that anyday. Our college scouting department should rule the world. Especially with the way this year's draft is looking (Orakpo, Jarmon, Barnes, a couple Practice Squad guys from later rounds).

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/12043557

Click link for entire article

Out of Nowhere Man

Clark Judge selects Chad Rhinehart for the Redskins' Out of Nowhere Man Chad Rinehart is working at starting right guard because Randy Thomas is hurt. Don't be misled. Rhinehart is pushing for a starting job, and there are those in the organization who think he can win it. That remains to be seen, of course, but he looks sharp in practice, showing good feet and balance in the face of a pass rush. Rhinehart was a third-round pick a year ago but did not play, so he committed himself to improving in the offseason, jacked up his weigh to 310 pounds and is now pushing Thomas for a starting job. "We had a nice little talk with him at the end of the season," said offensive line coach Joe Bugel. "We said, 'You need to bulk up some more and get more strength.' So he went back to Northern Iowa [where he attended college] and started pounding the weights. He put on about really good 15 pounds and came back a completely different player and person. He has confidence in himself, and he's a warrior. He's a good athlete, and he's very intelligent. He's a good learner."

Ok, if Rhino and Tryon, the 2 guys a lot of people here were declaring busts last year, come in and push the starters for playing time (Rhino pushing Randy, Tryon pushing Smoot), that would be damn impressive.

Also, I'd prefer to see Montgomery at G, his natural position, and Edwin Williams at C, his natural position. But that's just me

since when is randy thomas a probowler? frankly, i think we need to get younger and more athletic along the o-line

i just wanna know why Mike Williams isn't being tried at guard instead of tackle. Williams is so big its tough to move him but its easy to run around him. he is a natural guard at 350 pounds.

this is a no brainer! can't the redskins figure that out. let bridges and heyer fight it out on the corner and stick williams inside to fight it out with thomas and rinehart. JUst makes sense. sometimes the most obvious things are the ones the coaches just overlook and heres a good example.

i just wanna know why Mike Williams isn't being tried at guard instead of tackle. Williams is so big its tough to move him but its easy to run around him. he is a natural guard at 350 pounds.

this is a no brainer! can't the redskins figure that out. let bridges and heyer fight it out on the corner and stick williams inside to fight it out with thomas and rinehart. JUst makes sense. sometimes the most obvious things are the ones the coaches just overlook and heres a good example.

Guards need to be more mobile than tackles because a lot of the time they are pulling on counters and traps. I'm not sure if MW has the speed or quickness needed to get around the edge in time to throw a block.

Like the Cowboys did with Leonard Davis? It hasn't worked out so bad for them.

Like the Cowboys did with Leonard Davis? It hasn't worked out so bad for them.

I wouldnt mind giving him a shot inside. He would be a force in the run game and wouldnt have to deal with speed rushers off the edge. He could use his strength to stuff rush DTs

“I have had a whole lot of guys in the Pro Bowl and two guys in the Hall of Fame.

Colt is the best quarterback I have watched or coached in my 35 years.” -June Jones. June Jones, coach of Jim Kelly, Warren Moon, and many others.

I dunno about a guy named June. Would you trust a boy named Sue?

Sounds like we have lots of potential candidates at RG. We have less decent options at RT, unless you think Heyer is the answer.

We're paying Thomas serious starters money, so I expect he'll start if healthy. Rinehart seems to be the backup of choice, and not as great a fit at RT. So does Bridges move to RT? Or do we go looking for help, either through free agency, a trade, or combing the waiver wires?

My concerns going into the draft were Center and T. I haven't followed the progress of the backups at Center, and would like to hear if anyone thinks that we have a solution for RT.

I know Bugel can maximize the talent he's given for the O-line, but its now getting older, and spread more thinly. An injury to our LT or C would be extremely serious, unless someone thinks Heyer can play LT and RT simultaneously.

• 3 weeks later...

Stephon has grabbed a firm hold on the RT spot.

But who's going be his back-up?

Oh, and pretty much ending the right tackle competition, too. "Stephon Heyer is way ahead of everybody," he said. "He's a legit tackle. He's improved tremendously. This is his third year and he deserves to be the starter. He's been through all kind of torment and torture by me for three years. He deserves this opportunity. He's taken advantage of it."

Bugel followed up on this later, adding, "The biggest thing is I saw Stephon grow [through his] first, second, third year. I mean, he's a completely different person right now. It means something to him. He's very serious."

http://blog.redskins.com/2009/08/25/practice-offensive-line-doing-some-talking/#continued

My concerns going into the draft were Center and T. I haven't followed the progress of the backups at Center, and would like to hear if anyone thinks that we have a solution for RT.
depth at G/C is what concerns me, or anybody behind samuels.

By numerous reports/articles Will Montgomery looks really good at Center and can also play Guard.

bridges or williams will probably backup heyer.

depth at G/C is what concerns me, or anybody behind samuels.

I don't have faith in Bridges or Williams at RT what happened to Devin Clark?

In the article linked in my previous post mentions Bugel giving props to Will Montgomery and Edwin Williams as back-up center.

Bugel is notorious for extolling the positives of his players to the press, but -- as a result -- a lot of the regular media types have gotten pretty good at detecting when he's just being polite and when he's being sincere. The consensus on this one was that he was being sincere. And he was happy to go into details, lavishing praise on Will Montgomery ("He's had a stellar camp, and he's a rough, tough guy.") and Edwin Williams ("A pleasant surprise, I'll tell you."), among others.

As far as G depth goes if you look at any of the links in this thread it appears that Rhinehart will be a quality RG.

And although Bridges has looked spotty at RT he's looked better at G.

I think the staff has faith and Heyer has proven that he can be decent at the LT spot if Samuels were to go down.

Archived