Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Training Camp Hunch...RG

darrelgreenie

When the OL was healthy i thought that Rabach was by far the weakest link. I had my fingers crossed that we would sign Jason Brown from the Ravens.

I think Rabach is smart and tough but i just don't think he's strong enough to not get pushed back anymore.

I hope that competition from Will Montgomery and Edwin Williams can push him to raise his game.

Completely agree and I think VC understands we need an upgrade at C. Entirely too much pressure comes from the middle right into JC's face. Now, perhaps all of that is not Rabach's fault, but it appears to me that he has struggled the past couple of seasons in that regard. We have added some nice pieces to the DL IMO. The OL needs major re-tooling IMO with the C and OT positions in need of immediate help (of course if some of the guys we have now show something, which is entirely possible, this would obviously help mitigate such needs)

We've been pretty adept at finding quality UFA's IMO. The decision to keep Geisinger over Crummey was extremely poor though IMO.

If Thomas is healthy, then I don't see anyone taking his spot at all.

If Thomas isn't quite 100% and his play starts to slip, then I'd expect Jeremy Bridges to get the nod over Rinehart, simply due to experience. Dockery and Bridges at the Guard slots would be 652lbs of pain for defenses trying to stop our running game.

I don't see how much experience matters in the battle of Bridges vs Rinehart. Bridges is still new to the system and may not even have all the calls down. I think that battle would be based more on who is playing better in Training camp and preseason.

Plus we'd have to see how much injuries play into the entire OL. Bridges is a backup for RG and RT. I think Rinehart is a backup for LG and RG. So if Dockery goes down and then Thomas, we'd be more likely to see Rinehart at LG and Bridges at RG. If Heyer/Williams goes down then Thomas, we'd be more likely to see Rinehart at RG and Bridges at RT.

Because I see Bridges as more of a competitor at RT, and because that's still more of a question mark for us, I'd see it as more likely that we put Rinehart in at RG simply to avoid shuffling our OL around throughout the season - particularly if the play of the two is within comparison.

Completely agree and I think VC understands we need an upgrade at C. Entirely too much pressure comes from the middle right into JC's face. Now, perhaps all of that is not Rabach's fault, but it appears to me that he has struggled the past couple of seasons in that regard. We have added some nice pieces to the DL IMO. The OL needs major re-tooling IMO with the C and OT positions in need of immediate help (of course if some of the guys we have now show something, which is entirely possible, this would obviously help mitigate such needs)

We've been pretty adept at finding quality UFA's IMO. The decision to keep Geisinger over Crummey was extremely poor though IMO.

The problem is that if Rabach gets beat he is more likely to commit the drive killing holding penalty. I was hoping to get Eric Wood in the draft or AQ Shipley, the O-Line is going to need a rebuild soon. We're talking the following

1. Heir Apparent to Samuels- I believe that Samuels is the best LT in the game today, but we need to find someone to eventually replace him at that position when he calls it a career

2. Center- This should be Rabach's last season, I have been disappointed in him lately and think he is the weak link on the line.

3. An elite Right Tackle- I'm not sold on Williams or Heyer, and I'd love to see us get a Brian Balunga or Ciron Black type.

1. Heir Apparent to Samuels- I believe that Samuels is the best LT in the game today, but we need to find someone to eventually replace him at that position when he calls it a career

Absolutely. Chris is obviously a great LT, but I personally think the Eagles have the best LT in the division at present, and quite possibly in the entire league. Peters is nasty and when motivated he can simply dominate. The Eagles IMO with the addition of Peters and Andrews have leaped ahead of the Giants.

The defense is there for the most part for the Redskins. We now must get this offense going.

I have a hunch that after the Giants D-line finishes with our O-line in game one of the season, we will all ready be in 3rd or 4th place in our division.

Giants and Eagles refortified their lines too. And they had good drafts. Sorry but I don't see us improving over last season.

I think at this point it's Randy Thomas > All other RGs on the team. And that's all that matters.

I think since our OL did poorly we tend to blame anyone who is old and not a Pro Bowler. Randy Thomas is still a good player and as long he's the best option we have we'll play him.

I do hope Rinehart continues to improve as Coach Bugel says he has.

I'm sure Randy Thomas is buying into that challenge set by Buges. It's all a motivational tool and I highly doubt Rinehart is somehow ready this year to unseat Thomas. Buges is probably making those comments more for Thomas' ears and less for Rinehart's. Think about it---What coach do you know would praise a second year backup with such high praise after said player, who was a third round pick, was basically an f' up last year and never saw the field? Read between the lines pal.

If Rinehart sees the field, it will be because of injuries and the on-going depth issues that the Redskins have had on the O line under Snyderrato and not because Randy Thomas has somehow lost a step or what-have-you. I'd love to be wrong, but Rinehart is a bust at this point even for a third round pick. The Skins don't seem to value their third round picks like most good franchises anyway :doh: One of these days it would be nice to eat crow, but for some reason, the Skins never serve that delicacy on the menu :silly:

Imo Randy Thomas is a player in decline who best days like Jon Jansen are behind him.

How can a player be "in decline" when he hasn't even taken the field to play a down yet since being totally healthy? You haven't even given the guy a chance yet and you've already got him on the decline and comparing him to Jon Jansen.

Well, IMO Randy Thomas displayed a hell of a lot of guts and grit by not only playing injured in 08, but playing on a level that was more than just serviceable.

It was '07....'05 was when his leg got rolled up against Dallas right before the playoffs

Even more amazing was when he came back later that season in Week 13 against Chicago. Granted he re-aggravated the injury, but he sure impressed me with his toughness. And Randy was a Pro Bowl alternate last season. I still think he's the right man at RG.

That might have been a product of the Vote The Redskin Ticket crap they did last year. Not saying he was bad, just not dominate enough to be a pro bowler.

How can a player be "in decline" when he hasn't even taken the field to play a down yet since being totally healthy? You haven't even given the guy a chance yet and you've already got him on the decline and comparing him to Jon Jansen.

Well, IMO Randy Thomas displayed a hell of a lot of guts and grit by not only playing injured in 08, but playing on a level that was more than just serviceable.

I think a player who has been hurt or their level of play has dropped (compared to themselves) over a long period of time is a player in decline.

Don't get me wrong Randy has been tough, no doubt.

But Randy last year isn't anywhere near the Randy from 3 years ago hence "in decline".

HTTR!

I think a player who has been hurt or their level of play has dropped (compared to themselves) over a long period of time is a player in decline.

Don't get me wrong Randy has been tough, no doubt.

But Randy last year isn't anywhere near the Randy from 3 years ago hence "in decline".

HTTR!

I guess that we can just agree to disagree on this one my friend.:)

IMO last year it wasn't possible for Randy to be "anywhere near the Randy from 3 years ago", he was playing injured.

Therefore, I personally am going to hold off on saying that Randy is on the decline until I see how he plays all healed up again. And lets all hope that he is all healed up again.:fingersx:

Pro bowl caliber. Definitely the second best lineman for us for a very long time.

I hear what you're saying, and if this had been last preseason I would have adamantly agreed with you, but after all these injuries, the neck thing which isn't a small one, I just think it's going to take a much bigger toll on Thomas at 33 then it would on him a couple years back. The guy's been rehabing almost every offseason since he's been here which takes time away from his ability just to maintain his strength, agility, and speed, let alone get stronger.

I don't thinky he's pro-bowl caliber anymore, but it's hard to say, and the injuries might never let him prove me wrong. When we signed Jeremy Bridges I actually figured he would end up taking over for Thomas instead of at RT, if anyone can get a hold on the RT position. You're right in that you don't normally suplant a former pro-bowler just like that, but with Bridges the staff already has a pretty good idea what he can bring since he's had plenty of experience in Carolina.

I think Reinhart's got another year, but I think Bridges could definitely take over at RG before the Preseason's over. But having said that, I really hope Thomas proves me wrong because he's been one of my favorite for as long as he's been here.

I'll agree with everyone else about his toughness too, he's been a true Redskin in that aspect.

No offense, but younger is not always better. Experience counts, but if one of the youngs guys actually beat out Thomas, then so be it. I really think it is his job to lose. And it would be sad to see it end because he is not 100%.

Unfortunately, that is the name of the game. You don't get paid big bucks to warm the bench. You are fit enough to produce, or get show the door.

It's pro sport, and not bush league.

• 2 weeks later...
If Thomas is healthy, then I don't see anyone taking his spot at all.

If Thomas isn't quite 100% and his play starts to slip, then I'd expect Jeremy Bridges to get the nod over Rinehart, simply due to experience. Dockery and Bridges at the Guard slots would be 652lbs of pain for defenses trying to stop our running game.

I'm in this camp. Thomas I think is starting to decline though. He's still solid but even at the beginning of last year he wasnt as dominant as he had been previously. I do think age and injuries are catching up to him. but I dont see Rinehart beating him out and if there is a injury I see Bridges playing due the exp factor. I would like to hear how this is going though, more specfically how Bridges is preforming. I havent heard much about him since OTA's.

I don't see how much experience matters in the battle of Bridges vs Rinehart. Bridges is still new to the system and may not even have all the calls down. I think that battle would be based more on who is playing better in Training camp and preseason.

Bridges playing as a starter in the NFL and doing so pretty well should mean alot. You know what he can do in a game.

Plus we'd have to see how much injuries play into the entire OL. Bridges is a backup for RG and RT. I think Rinehart is a backup for LG and RG. So if Dockery goes down and then Thomas, we'd be more likely to see Rinehart at LG and Bridges at RG. If Heyer/Williams goes down then Thomas, we'd be more likely to see Rinehart at RG and Bridges at RT.

Because I see Bridges as more of a competitor at RT, and because that's still more of a question mark for us, I'd see it as more likely that we put Rinehart in at RG simply to avoid shuffling our OL around throughout the season - particularly if the play of the two is within comparison.

We'll have to see about RT. I havent heard much about Bridges recently playing there...or anywhere else actually.

Also looks like Randy Thomas went out with an injury, and if my eyes didn't deceive me, Stephan Heyer and Casey Rabach as well. I know that I saw Rinehart taking 1st team snaps. Again, we'll have to wait to see the official reports.

VOR Training Camp recap (Day 6)

Hurt again, it seems.

"The guy who was having a banner camp was Stephon Heyer," Bugel said. "He got a little nicked in the goal-line drill. But he's really improved. This is his third year. I would expect him to be real good. He's doing a good job."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

They continue to have high expectations for Chad Rinehart, a third-round pick who did not play a snap as a rookie.

For Washington it comes down to depth. Rinehart, who needs every snap he can get, may wind up pushing Thomas at right guard.

“Nobody’s out for the year. These are nicks and bruises. This doesn’t concern me one iota. The young kids are getting their opportunities,” Bugel said.

He especially liked the way Rinehart got his act together in the offseason and brought more strength and maturity to town for his second year.

“Night and day,” Bugel said. “Last year he was a star-struck rookie. He’s becoming a pretty good hitter in there. Just teaching him the total picture is the big thing.”

http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/For_Redskins__O_Line_Issues_Are_Short_Term_45793.jsp

8-5-2008 Pressers

Both Zorn and Bugel say they would be comfortable if Rinehart had to start at RG:

http://www.redskins.com/gen/index.jsp

I hope Rhino can advantage of these reps and up step up to the plate.

Also, Will Montgomery and Edwin Williams ® back-up centers have looked good in place of the injured Casey.

The Centreville native has looked good as the No. 2 center behind Casey Rabach. Montgomery’s last two days have been his best. Working with the starters Wednesday morning, he consistently handled defensive tackle Cornelius Griffin. Montgomery’s strength serves him well. He and No. 3 center Edwin Williams both have played well throughout camp. The Redskins also will work him at guard.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sports/Redskins-training-camp-notes-8068797-52538552.html

If Will Mont could challenge Casey....and Bridges/Rhino can push Randy Thomas...wow we have the making of a good young line.

I know...i know.. i'm getting ahead of myself, but i can dream right?:silly:

Montgomery was part of a great squad at VT, I didn't really follow his pro career, but I know he could be at least a serviceable G/C swing guy.

IMO, we should be going to the season with 10 lineman. Obviously the starters, Samuels, Dock, Rabach, and Thomas.

Of course right tackle is supposedly an open competition, but I've kind of been losing my hope in Mike Williams, but even if he stays on the roster I'd like to see a stop-gap signing like Levi Jones or Runyan for the sake of having a solid starting RT, Heyer as a solid backup tackle swing guy, Bridges as a solid backup guard, Montgomery as a decent swing G/C, and Rinehart and Mike Williams as the last resorts.

IMO, that'd be as solid of a line as we could ask for, considering how much we spent on defense this offseason.

Sign back Kendall and get Runyan in here and we have an effective band-aid for the right side. I have a really ominous feeling about Randy Thomas. And Heyer... even if I thought he was starting caliber, he's always been nicked and injured. He's been a less reliably healthy backup for us than Ladell Betts. I can't imagine him lasting as a starter.

Archived