Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

THEHERD (ESPNRADIO): Drew Brees: QB is 90% Mental (Discussion)

KDawg

I agree 100%!!!

Think about it. Why do you need to throw a ball 100 mph? If you can just throw it at the right time, at the right place, defenders don't know where you are going with it.

Some of the best QB's didn't have the most arm strength or could run a good 40 time.

Well, I think obviously you need to have physical ability. For example...somebody haynesworth size, even if he was the smartest man on the face of the earth...just wouldn't make a good quarterback.

However, once you get to the NFL...pretty much every qb is physically gifted, and there isn't a whole heck of a lot of difference in their abilities. That being said, the mental capacity is what makes a QB great. Make sense?

would say Brees is right on the money in the sense he is talking about the NFL. To have got the point where you are competing for a spot as a starting QB in the NFL it's fair to assume that you have the basic physical tools of arm strength, size, accuracy etc. For sure there will be guys with better physical tools and some may be marginal but anyone who just is not physically able to function at an NFL level will have been weeded out.

Of those that are left in our pool then the bit between the ears and the heart are what count. I played QB in the UK and there were lots of guys I competed with who could throw harder and further with a pretty spiral but very few who could do it in a game, under pressure, with bruised ribs, down by 7 etc etc.

Confidence is part of it as is the ability to inspire confidence in those around you. Toughness is huge and the football smarts (not intelligence) and feel for the game.

So yeah at least 90% mental. Which was good news for me since physically I was VERY ordinary! Deceptively slow one coach described me as after a scramble ........

Is this why pocket passers are generally more successful than the scrambling variety of QB? Are the scramblers the ones with more physical ability than the pocket passers? Or are the scramblers just less mentally inclined? Or a combination of both?

I don't see your Mike Vick's, Vince Youngs of today with much of a mental grasp on things.

An exception to that could be Steve Young, but as a scrambler, he scrambled only when he had to, which is part of the mental thing. The new generation of scramblers don't seem to want to throw the ball, so they run.

I was just naming one, but since you went there, I'll expand it further:

Are the scrambling QBs of today alot less mental and much more reliant on athletic ability? And is that the reason why they aren't as successful as scrambling quarterbacks of the past?

I think that your oldschool QBs were pocket passers first and then scrambled when thay had to. When the plays broke down, they had more room to scramble, which made their scrambling abilities look that much better. Not that I'm taking anything away from them.

Today's scrambling QBs have always been scramblers, that's how they grew up playing the game. So, I don't think they lack mental toughness, they just play a physically tougher game.

Umm, who am I or anyone here to argue with one of the best QB's in the game? All you have to do is look at the history of Superbowl winning QB's and you will see that the majority of them were blessed with more football smarts then they were physically gifted.

I believe its mostly (85-90%) mental

mental:

1. Ability to make the action seem to be playing in slow motion

2. Ability to correctly and instantly read a defense and know the correct solution set

3. Ability to know who your options are and where they are suppose to be

4. Ability to ad lib when the play breaks down and see a solution

5. Ability to isolate the action around you and focus on your solution

6. Ability to know a called play won't work and to select and communite a correct play with the players available

7. Ability to know the play won't work and decision to either throw the ball away or take a sack

8. Ability to see that you can run as the best course of option and then act

9. Ability to take charge of the huddle and convince people to do what needs to be done.

10. Ability to talk to the coach or OC about what will work and what won't

11. Ability to make adjustments along the way

12. Ability to forget the last mistake

13. Ability to believe in yourself and your team mates esp when adversity strikes

physical:

1. ability to throw the ball where you want it

2. ability to hand the ball off

3. ability to hand on to the ball when being hit

4. ability to run with the ball when necessary or opportunity strikes

5. ability to hang on to and set a snap if you are the place holder

6. ability to get up again after being knocked down (partly mental too)

Imagine how sick the Skins offense would be had Gibbs made the push for Brees.

It's nice to dream, but they were already heavily invested in JC and still had Brunell. Plus given the clowns they acquired that year, (Lloyd and Archuleta) Brees probably would not have made sense, in terms of their way of thinking.

It's nice to dream, but they were already heavily invested in JC and still had Brunell. Plus given the clowns they acquired that year, (Lloyd and Archuleta) Brees probably would not have made sense, in terms of their way of thinking.

He only cost a 2nd rounder that is throw away money for the Skins.

:)

If we can safely say that no QB ever makes it onto an NFL roster without a seriously good set of physical skills then the balance (in terms of success) has to be 2 parts mental and 10 parts luck.

How lucky was Joe Montana to be drafted by Walsh as he developed his new offense?

How lucky was Steve Young to be rescued from Tampa by Walsh?

Would Ben Rothlisberger or Tom Brady be household names if they had been drafted by Detroit?

How unlucky was Jason Campbell to be drafted by Washington during an era of constant change?

Luck is HUGE. To be drafted into a good organization with a deep roster and premier coaching trumps arm strenght and smarts.

:helmet:

Archived