Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

THEHERD (ESPNRADIO): Drew Brees: QB is 90% Mental (Discussion)

KDawg

No, we can't do that. You aren't answering the question that was asked.

The original question was NOT -- "If we assume that any QB who has been able to make it to the NFL level has the ability to throw the football what percentage of what is left is mental."

The biggest factor in a QB's performance is the ability to throw the football, and even at the NFL level, there are crucial differences in ability that make the difference between winning and losing.

NFL football is complex, but it isn't rocket science, and it's a pro player's full-time job, so he has plenty of time to learn it.

Tom Brady doesn't call his own plays. He executes an offense that was designed by someone else. He has to be quick-witted enough to recognize situations, but from there on, the reaction is physical. His chief asset is the ability to throw a football with accuracy. Chad Pennington is equal to Brady in every way --except arm strength. But, that deficiency allows defenses to compress the field on him and his soft throwing sometimes puts his receivers at risk waiting for the pass to arrive.

I did not hear the show but I took the quote from Brees to be that playing QB is 90% mental - given Brees is an NFL QB I don't think its a real stretch to say he is talking about playing QB in the NFL.

The point I and others are making is that to have got onto the radar screen of an NFL team let alone a roster, let alone start a regular season game you can take the ability to throw a football as a given.

Now its true to say that some NFL QBs are better pure passers than others, some a tad more accurate, some more mobile and some have stronger arms than others - but they all have the basic physical gifts needed to play the position. Sure Brady has a stronger arm than Pennington but Jay Schroeder had a stronger arm than Joe Thiesmann and which would you want under centre for your team?

How much better a physical QB is Peyton Manning than Ryan Leaf? Given all the scouting which went into the drafting of those two not much if any was the almost universal answer. The difference between those two at NFL level is all between the ears - the desire to not just make the NFL but STAR in the NFL, commitment to master your craft not rely on physical talent and hope thats enough, work ethic, ability to handle wealth and fame etc etc.

I played QB at a MUCH lower level and I was a starter for 5 years here in the UK. I won that job every year against people who could throw a nicer spiral, had better arms and who were bigger and faster. I played because I worked hard to understand our entire offense and in a game situation I could command the huddle and perform and deliver under pressure. Not that many can do that however physically talented.

Well, look at which QB's win the big games.

It's the passers who aren't running 1/2 the time. Brady, Manning, etc.

The fad with the running QB seems to not want to go away, but no primarily scrambling QB has won a SB. And considering how many there are now, thats odd.

In the 70's it was only Tarkenton, in the 80's it was only Cunningham and Elway, both of whom actually got further later when they couldn't run anymore. Mc Nabb, is known as a choke artist, Vick couldn't win against a good defense, etc etc etc, Vince Young, yeah Buddy. Steve Young won a title, but he wasn't much of a runner after 10 years in the league.

Maybe having to stand there and out think it gives you an advantage over those who can just try to outrun it when the **** hits the fan. I mean, a guy like Brees has been in that position his whole career, either make the right decision with the ball, or go down for a sack. He wasn't going to ever run away from **** and that has to help.

The truth is in between, Campbell has the feet to get out of trouble, but really, who did he have to throw to besides Moss last year? What about 2007? You look at Montana: Rice and Taylor, you look at Peyton: Harrison and Wayne, you look at Rypien even and you have: Monk, Sanders and Clark. Some QB's become great because they have a safety blanket to throw to in the Tight End. Aikman, for example used Novacek like an old Teddy Bear. Marino had Clayton and Duper during his best years. Some QB's have had stellar O-Lines, Rypien for example was the least sacked QB in the league, only being sacked nine times thats less than the number of Sacks Rabach, Jansen and Heyer allowed last year.

You look at the best College QB's who go to bad teams and a few like Manning, Elway, Marino do well, but for every one of them there is a David Carr who spent most of his career in Houston counting the lights. Some guys just disappeared into obscurity on their franchises, because the franchise was so dysfunctional. I mean how many good QB's have the Lions had? Sometimes you get lucky and have a great team around you, Rivers for example has a good O-Line and a great RB in Tomlinson. Elway won his superbowls behind one of the best O-Lines ever, same with Brady. The truth is that the franchise makes the QB in most cases, Go to the Lions and you will never see the light of day from that dungeon known as Ford field, because the GM will not put the right talent around you.

It takes 22 men to win and one idiot to screw it up (i.e. Matt Millen or Josh McDaniels)

The truth is in between, Campbell has the feet to get out of trouble, but really, who did he have to throw to besides Moss last year? What about 2007? You look at Montana: Rice and Taylor, you look at Peyton: Harrison and Wayne, you look at Rypien even and you have: Monk, Sanders and Clark. Some QB's become great because they have a safety blanket to throw to in the Tight End. Aikman, for example used Novacek like an old Teddy Bear. Marino had Clayton and Duper during his best years. Some QB's have had stellar O-Lines, Rypien for example was the least sacked QB in the league, only being sacked nine times thats less than the number of Sacks Rabach, Jansen and Heyer allowed last year.

You look at the best College QB's who go to bad teams and a few like Manning, Elway, Marino do well, but for every one of them there is a David Carr who spent most of his career in Houston counting the lights. Some guys just disappeared into obscurity on their franchises, because the franchise was so dysfunctional. I mean how many good QB's have the Lions had? Sometimes you get lucky and have a great team around you, Rivers for example has a good O-Line and a great RB in Tomlinson. Elway won his superbowls behind one of the best O-Lines ever, same with Brady. The truth is that the franchise makes the QB in most cases, Go to the Lions and you will never see the light of day from that dungeon known as Ford field, because the GM will not put the right talent around you.

It takes 22 men to win and one idiot to screw it up (i.e. Matt Millen or Josh McDaniels)

To be fair to Montana, when he started he had Freddie Solomon and Dwight Clark, neither of whom were stars. He also finished his career taking a sub par chiefs team with no quality WR's to the playoffs in back to back years (including to a title game they might have won if Kimble Anders had hands).

That being said, I agree w/you for the most part, I think there are some guys that would be studs regardless, but i also think there are some franchises that would swallow any QB whole and make a misery of his NFL career (like the Saints did to Archie Manning, like the Patriots and Niners did to Jim Plunkett till he got to Oakland etc).

Sure Brady has a stronger arm than Pennington but Jay Schroeder had a stronger arm than Joe Thiesmann and which would you want under centre for your team?

You're missing the point. I was not arguing that arm strength alone determines the quality of a QB.

My point was that the difference between Tom Brady and Chad Pennington or Todd Collins is arm strength, a factor which allows defenses to compress the field. Now the difference between Tom Brady and, say, Ryan Fitzpatrick or Jon Kitna is probably accuracy

Jason Campbell has worked with coaches for the past three offseasons overhauling his original mechanics which limited his potential as an NFL QB.

Understanding the offense is a certainly a significant factor, but it's not worth much without the ability to put the ball where it's supposed to be.

why are Redskins fans still listening to Cowherd? I boycotted him after his Sean Taylor comments, and was reinforced in doing so when he never issued an apology after being proven wrong. I really wish everyone would do the same, the guy is a shock jock and no amount of "entertainment" or "insight" changes that.

Well, look at which QB's win the big games. It's the passers who aren't running 1/2 the time. Brady, Manning, etc.

That's because there are more passers who can't run. To QBs, the arm is more important than the legs. So, there are lots of QBs in the NFL with the arm but not the legs. But, the rare QB with both can do more with less supporting talent.

Tom Brady needs a lot of help to run a disciplined offense. Jay Cutler can beat you with less support. His legs give his OC options to move him and make life easier for the O line. Cutler was sacked less than any other QB in 2008. Shanny's protection scheme made that possible -- and Cutler's legs made the scheme possible.

Archived