Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Al Sharpton, AT IT AGAIN!

rdsknbill

What the hell is wrong with this guy? Why does he have to turn everything into his own personal racial issue?

sharpton.gif

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/zontv/2009/07/al_sharpton_michael_jackson_di.html

Rev. Al Sharpton recklessly attacks media on Jackson

So, now the Rev. Al Sharpton is a media critic. Well, let me tell you something. He is a very reckless one -- making racially-charged allegations without having his facts straight.

Sunday, standing in the pulpit of the First African Methodist Episcopal Church of Los Angeles, Sharpton called coverage of Michael Jackson's death "disgraceful."

"I am here because of the disgraceful and the despicable way some elements of the media have tried to destroy the legacy and image of Michael Jackson," he told the congregation, charging the media with using different standards for black and white performers.

"You have had other entertainers that have had issues in their life," he said. "But you [the media] did not degrade and denigrate them... Show the same respect for Michael and Michael's family that you showed Frank Sinatra and Elvis Presley."

From what planet was Sharpton following Presley's death if he thinks tawdry aspects of Presley's life weren't reported? There was no shortage of reporting about the details of how and where Presley's body was found, the ****tail of drugs to which he was addicted and the weirdness in general of Presley's life at Graceland. And in 1977, we didn't have the vast landscape of Web and cable outlets that we do today.

But Sharpton went further yet, according to wire reports, attacking the media for what he characterized as a lack of diversity and sensitivity to black culture in reporting the story.

"I don't think the media understand who Michael was,'' Sharpton was quoted as saying in wire reports. ``I don't think they have any cultural significance.''

One of the leading sources of mainstream media information on the Jackson story has been CNN. And the anchor who has been sprearheading CNN's coverage in Los Angeles is Don Lemon, who is African American.

I was on the CNN media show, Reliable Sources, with Lemon and others Sunday. The show offered 30 minutes of analysis of Jackson's "cultural significance" and coverage of his death, with a clear and strong African-American voice at the center of the discussion. Lemon made a great and passionate case for the cultural importance of Jackson.

Perhaps turning on his TV to one of the leading cable channels in America and watching 30 minutes of coverage before taking to the pulpit is asking too much in the way of homework from Rev. Sharpton.

I could cite dozens of other examples of Jackson's racial and cultural significance being explored in mainstream media in the last 10 days, like the Wednesday night special on CBS that found anchorwoman Katie Couric interviewing Spike Lee on that very topic.

Katie Couric and Spike Lee on CBS in prime time. More than 8 million viewers watched the conversation, but Rev. Sharpton apparently missed it -- or conveniently chose to ignore it because it didn't fit his inflammatory and divisive rhetoric.

"I don't think the media understand who Michael was,'' Sharpton was quoted as saying in wire reports. ``I don't think they have any cultural significance.''

He is of course correct about this- but it isn't fair to paint it as a race issue. The media doesn't understand anything.

I don't know why everyone gets so in a bunch about what Al Sharpton says. He has a right to his opinion.

The media doesn't understand anything.

Agreed...the media making assumptions and so forth...reminds a whole lot of what a lot of them (Specifically Colin Cowherd :mad:) said about Sean Taylor.

This is the main reason I have avoided watching a lot of the coverage about Michael Jackson...I just wish they would allow the family to mourn in private. That they would let him be buried with a measure of dignity...there will be plenty of time to hurl accusations and half-truths later...but all him to be buried with his good name as an artist first.

I don't know why everyone gets so in a bunch about what Al Sharpton says. He has a right to his opinion.

Does he? Is it an opinion, or just a vehicle to throw himself in the spotlight while he is spouting racism all the time?

He was exalting Joe Jackson as a "model father" while everyone knows, even before this media firestorm over MJ's death, he was incredibly abusive to his kids

You can add Jesse Jackson to this nonsense too. An article in the Raleigh News & Observer today.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/1597756.html

BY BARRY SAUNDERS - Staff Writer

There are two places you don't want to be if you value your safety.

One is laid up in a trailer with Sweet Thang watching "Green Acres" reruns when a tornado strikes.

The other is standing between the Rev. Jesse Jackson and a hot microphone when a black celebrity dies.

Just think of a famous black person who has died within the past 30 years. Now try to picture Jesse not at the funeral.

You can bet your last copy of "Thriller" that when Michael Jackson is laid to rest today, Jesse will be there.

The reverend has become a latter-day Zelig, the Woody Allen character who turned up everywhere throughout history. The tragic part is that like Zelig, too often he's just part of the backdrop.

It didn't start out that way. The Rev. Jackson could have been one of the great leaders of our time, could have inspired -- heck, did inspire -- millions.

Now, though, he seems more interested in the trappings of being the HBIC --Head Brother in Charge -- than with actually putting in the time and energy required to deserve that appellation.

In Barbara Reynolds' biography "Jesse Jackson: The Man, the Myth, the Movement," several people who were at the Lorraine Motel in Memphis on April 4, 1968, intimated that Jackson smeared some of Dr. King's blood on his sweater after the body was removed and appeared on television the next day claiming King had died in his arms.

More recently, after basketball star Michael Jordan's father was killed and his body cremated, Jackson leaped in to claim -- with no evidence -- that it was a coverup of a mob hit or something equally sinister. Turned out the quick disposal of James Jordan's body had more to do with the coroner mistakenly thinking he was just another unlamented poor black man -- a sinister assumption in its own right -- than a coverup.

There was no way Jesse or the Rev. Al Sharpton could let the circus that has become Michael Jackson's death pass them by. Both have gotten more airtime than Tito.

I marveled as de facto family spokesman Jesse bogarted himself into this family tragedy, challenging Michael's doctor on his "bizarre behavior."

Isn't it inspiring how Jesse is willing to rush into the breach at great personal sacrifice to speak up for a poor family that has no access to or savvy with the media? Really, without Jesse, how would we even know Michael died?

I'll bet that if he looked, Jesse could find some equally tragically dead young black man whose death deserves attention and illumination. Jesse could also be the man to address and help rectify the misguided examples of manhood with which too many young black boys grow up. If, that is, he could just get out from in front of the cameras long enough.

When Michael Jackson sang "I'll Be There," he wasn't talking about Jesse and his ghoulish propensity for funerals. I am, though. Here is my version of "I'll Be There" as sung by the Rev. Jackson. Maestro, hit it:

You and I must make a pact

"Larry King Live," please call me back.

Where there's a camera

I'll be there...

I'll give out my cell to you

I'll grant you an interview.

Just call my name

I'll be there.

(Just look over your shoulder, Anderson Cooper.) Ooh ooh ooh ooh.

He was exalting Joe Jackson as a "model father" while everyone knows, even before this media firestorm over MJ's death, he was incredibly abusive to his kids

Here is the major problem I have with Sharpton- and it was solidified with his allignment with Joe Jackson. Joe Jackson is a total piece of **** for a human and we all know it, his kids know it and his wife (or exwife) knows it. He hasn't stopped being a piece of **** and that was obvious by his comments at the BET awards. Yet you have a pastor- a supposed man of faith who is standing right by Joe Jackons side, soaking up the lime light and gaining money.

That is what it's all about with Sharpton and Jesse Jackson alike- they are in it for the money. They make mountains out of mole hills just for a profit, capitalizing on the already tense racial situations. It would be nice if they stopped their ****in and just find resolutions.

I am not a supporter of Sharpton by any means, but I don't understand how his comment was racial. To me he was comparing star status and seeing how people felt about it, clearly you thought it was racial. Everyone knows Sinatra was involved with the mob, and Elvis was a womanizing drug addict.

And ljs, They are preying off of the poor. And that is why I can not respect either of them. Neither Martin or Malcolm ever really did that.

Honestly, I think the media has been fair covering MJ. Every network has run atleast one special that made MJ look good. Shapton has done good for blacks, but I feel he's using this situation to be in the limelight and this is coming from a black man.

PS: I do have one problem with the media. Why are they so concerned on the cost of this memorial?

Himself? He has his own radio show.

Very similar to the people that made Stern the #1 voice in radio- people who didn't like him trying to shut him down. Goes back to the 'spell my name right' quote from PT Barnum imo

The media and bloggers love Sharpton for what he says. It sells papers and creates web traffic from people who "are just so outraged"

wash, rinse, repeat

Lets not get carried away.

Why not?

seriously, I don't know why everyone is afraid to say some people being dead would make all of our lives easier.

F this guy.

He's a liar, a charlatan, a hate stirrer, a racist, and a riot starter, a manipulator of his own people's struggle, and he does it all in the name of the Lord so many people try to respect. There is not a SINGLE redeeming quality to this man. At ALL. Not ONE.

If he had a white hood on how would we feel about him? If he wore a swastika armband when he made up the entire Tawana Brawley issue and incited people to riot in the streets and kill cops, how would we feel about him?

If he died today, I'd smile as wide as i could.

Twice.

And then I'd smile again tomorrow.

Twice.

~Bang

Honestly, I think the media has been fair covering MJ.

I agree 100%. Everything I've seen has covered all aspects of his life; the good and the bad. And very fairly and balanced imo. Now I haven't watched FNC and listening to Hannity on the radio yesterday, that may be where I'm missing all the MJ bashing.

So would if feel better to those who hate Sharpton or Jesse if someone else said what he said? Just because Sharpton said it, doesn't make it any less true. In fact Jamie Foxx talked about how MJ's legacy is being potrayed in some sections of the media.

I mean let's be real: when Elvis Presley died, was he remembered as an overweight, drug-abusing racist who dated a 14 year-old, or was he eulogized as The King of Rock and Roll? When Woody Allen dies, do you think the media will focus on the controversy behind him marrying his own stepdaughter, or his films and how great they some of them were?

MJ's musical accomplishments FAR outweigh the false allegations of child molestation. I mean it is not even close. This man changed the face of music, MTV, music videos, etc.

Why would people try to tear down a man who constantly used his power, money, and influence to help others? Why would people express such disgust and contempt for a man who constantly sang of love and peace, and used his talent to entertain, uplift, and inspire millions?

As MJ said: I guess it's Human Nature.

I am just gonna let the man's music live on.

So would if feel better to those who hate Sharpton or Jesse if someone else said what he said? Just because Sharpton said it, doesn't make it any less true. In fact Jamie Foxx talked about how MJ's legacy is being potrayed in some sections of the media.

I mean let's be real: when Elvis Presley died, was he remembered as an overweight, drug-abusing racist who dated a 14 year-old, or was he eulogized as The King of Rock and Roll? When Woody Allen dies, do you think the media will focus on the controversy behind him marrying his own stepdaughter, or his films and how great they some of them were?

MJ's musical accomplishments FAR outweigh the false allegations of child molestation. I mean it is not even close. This man changed the face of music, MTV, music videos, etc.

Why would people try to tear down a man who constantly used his power, money, and influence to help others? Why would people express such disgust and contempt for a man who constantly sang of love and peace, and used his talent to entertain, uplift, and inspire millions?

It doesn't make sense to me.

It goes along with the old media saying, "If it bleeds it leads." I used to work in the media and I remember there were a few Sunday nights that some people would hang out listening to the Police Scanner at a newsdesk to try and grab a major story to lead of the otherwise slow newsday.

He guarded his personal life and so people either have to make up the missing details or go poking around to get them.

When Prince, Springsteen, Whitney or Madonna pass away I wonder what the media will focus in on?

Sharpton & Jackson: They are taking advantage of the media coverage...they aren't the first people to do that and they won't be the last.

As MJ said: I guess it's Human Nature.

I am just gonna let the man's music live on.

I've heard very little critical of Michael Jackson since his death. No more than the passing reference to allegations, legal and health problems. Sort of like when Sinatra died, his alleged mafia connections were mentioned, just not expounded upon.

Archived