Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: Workouts intensify as offense gains traction

titus3

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009...ains-traction/

Click link for entire article

Workouts intensify as offense gains traction

Ryan O'Halloran

A year ago, the Washington Redskins' offseason workouts were an exercise in simplicity. The passing game was new, and the defense was kept basic so the offense could catch up.

Replace that with the scene Monday at Redskin Park: The organized team activity concluded with an up-tempo, 11-on-11, two-minute drill - a sign of how far the offense has come in Jim Zorn's system.

"We're building off what we ran last year," quarterback Jason Campbell said. "We've been able to create different pass plays. We're able to build and explore more."

Zorn estimated the offense is 30 percent ahead of where it was last year, meaning the Redskins will have a head start when they don pads for the first time July 30.

"We've given them more experiences," Zorn said. "Training camp is much like this with everybody - you put in everything you can possibly tap into during the season, and you give them a few experiences with each. Some of it is your core stuff, and you work on that every time."

Zorn said many of the new things Campbell referred to were in the system last year, but those plays were never used because of the practice time spent honing the basics.

"We're using a lot of the same concepts - just different personnel groups and formations," Zorn said. "The pattern is the same, but what Jason has to think about is the protection."

Campbell looked sharp during the drill, finding several receivers.

"He's progressing finer," Zorn said. "He's doing a wonderful job throwing the football."

Said Campbell: "That first game, we won't be feeling around trying to find ourselves. We'll be able to have a little bit of an identity."

The Redskins' returning players could have handled it if Zorn had sped up his instillation, but he decided to slow it down so the younger players could catch up.

"Although we're pushing hard, if we expect some of these young guys to get it, we have to keep it slow and deliberate," he said.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems like last year's offensive struggles and "poor play calling" was the result of Zorn not being able to open up the playbook "because of the practice time spent honing the basics." Hopefully, more of the playbook will be used this year and we will see an offense that can remain consistently productive throughout the season.

Note: Thanks to bubba for posting this in the "Redskins Breaking News" forum.

A slightly more worrying read from the Redskins 360 section in the Times is this quote below about the same OTA session.

* During a two-minute drill to wrap up practice, defensive ends Brian Orakpo and Andre Carter had their way getting around tackles Jeremy Bridges and Stephon Heyer.

http://washingtontimes.com/weblogs/redskins/2009/jun/08/monday-ota-recap-redskin-park/

Great to read about Orakpo getting after it from the DE spot in the nickle defense - not so great that the two leading candidates for the RT spot got their lunch handed to them as per this report.

If we can get the O'Line to hold up in pass protection and allow us to run right as well as left I think our defense can lead us to a playoff spot. If Campbell has to run the 'chuck and duck' again and everyone in the stadium knows we have to run left then its 8-8 again I fear.

I was happy reading this article until the very end.

"Slow and deliberate" is not what I want to hear from Coach Zorn at this point. I understand he wants our young guys to grasp the basic concepts of his offense... but our O is not exactly stacked with rookies, and the 2nd year guys should know their assignments by now.

I am one of the few people who believes that Jason Campbell can and will succeed in the right system... Last year it was pretty obvious that Zorn was "slow and deliberate" with his installment of the new offense, and that's the main reason (in my opinion) that his team collapsed after 8 solid weeks. Zorn grew comfortable and quickly became predictable.

Many of these vets are coming off of Saunder's 700-pager, (which apparently was only read by Todd Collins) and Zorn's "cliffnotes" playbook is probably CAKE compared to his. It's time to treat these players like grown men and expect more of out them than they expect out of themselves. That's what makes a great coach.

If a rookie can't learn EVERY play in the playbook, then he sits on the bench his first season. If a 2nd year guy is still having trouble, you replace him with somebody who wants to focus. Zorn needs to stop cradling some of these dudes and start making them worry about their paychecks instead.

It's just OTAs, they're laying the groundwork for a very different camp when the time comes.

I don't think people appreciate how much of last year was about Zorn & Co being rooks themselves and having to learn a lot of the basics.

One way or the other this should be a very different team this year.

If a rookie can't learn EVERY play in the playbook, then he sits on the bench his first season. If a 2nd year guy is still having trouble, you replace him with somebody who wants to focus. Zorn needs to stop cradling some of these dudes and start making them worry about their paychecks instead.

I would imagine you'd never see a rookie play on offense if he had to know every play. Your point regarding 2nd year guys is spot-on, IMO. They've had 13-14 months to learn the plays, practice them and get used to NFL-speed, so there shouldn't be a problem with their knowing the plays. Depending on how much playing time they got last year, one can not expect them to execute them perfectly, but you're right, they should definitely know them.

A slightly more worrying read from the Redskins 360 section in the Times is this quote below about the same OTA session.

* During a two-minute drill to wrap up practice, defensive ends Brian Orakpo and Andre Carter had their way getting around tackles Jeremy Bridges and Stephon Heyer.

http://washingtontimes.com/weblogs/redskins/2009/jun/08/monday-ota-recap-redskin-park/

Great to read about Orakpo getting after it from the DE spot in the nickle defense - not so great that the two leading candidates for the RT spot got their lunch handed to them as per this report.

If we can get the O'Line to hold up in pass protection and allow us to run right as well as left I think our defense can lead us to a playoff spot. If Campbell has to run the 'chuck and duck' again and everyone in the stadium knows we have to run left then its 8-8 again I fear.

Did you really expect Heyer and Bridges would be able to handle Brian Orakpo? It's a good sign to me that Orakpo isn't struggling with the higher tempo, even if this is practice. I think we all know Heyer and Bridges are not really all-pro material.

Did you really expect Heyer and Bridges would be able to handle Brian Orakpo? It's a good sign to me that Orakpo isn't struggling with the higher tempo, even if this is practice. I think we all know Heyer and Bridges are not really all-pro material.

Even if they are all-pro, would it be good news to read it in reverse?

Defense should be ahead of the offense at this point anyway.

Yes, i thought that Heyer and Bridges would be able to handle Orakpo.

While i think Orakpo is gonna be good, i don't think he is on par w/ some of the DEs in the NFC East.

This article makes it look like Heyer has regressed or that Orakpo a rookie DE is dominating a solid NFL RT.

I think the truth is in between.

if they are getting domniated, it only means one thing, in regards to their progression, they only get better. by challenging them with a monster such as haynseworth, and a beast such as orakpo, the OL will have to pick up the slack and start getting better themselves to stop the run. all in all a very positive impact on the team. both sides getting better, and campbell getting rushed more so he can learn to release the ball quicker

I just think that Orakpo's strength is rushing from the DE spot so he's showing his best at the moment. I like the thought that he and Carter are giving JC real pressure so he has to produce in a situation similar to what he'll face during the season.

It's just OTAs, they're laying the groundwork for a very different camp when the time comes.

I don't think people appreciate how much of last year was about Zorn & Co being rooks themselves and having to learn a lot of the basics.

One way or the other this should be a very different team this year.

Well said. The 6-2 start got all of our hopes up but everyone needs to remember that almost all of our key components (head coach, QB, OC, DC) were either new to their job or very young.

This year should bring better results. I really think Zorn is a winner.

A couple things:

One, this is OTAs. There's little-to-no contact, no pads even. If the offense dominated the defense or the defense dominated the offense, I don't think it can be used as a determinate for how things will go in three months. With minicamp and OTAs, they've only been together for a couple weeks in total, an hour a day. And with what we did last year and who we got this offseason, I'd be worried if the defense didn't dominate at this stage.

Secondly:

Seems like last year's offensive struggles and "poor play calling" was the result of Zorn not being able to open up the playbook "because of the practice time spent honing the basics." Hopefully, more of the playbook will be used this year and we will see an offense that can remain consistently productive throughout the season.

This is a point I've been trying to make for a while. It was widely discussed and understood before the 2008 season that the WCO took 2-3 years to install and for everyone to get down. The 6-2 start heightened expectations, but was unreasonable to expect that kind of continued success with a limited playbook.

In Seattle when Mike Holmgren brought the WCO, Matt Hasselbeck was given the opportunity to start, and he did pretty poorly and was benched. It took him another season and a half to take off. Campbell has played better than Hasselbeck did in the beginning of his career, so I'm not worried at this point.

Am hopeful in general, the one thing though in terms of Zorns "playbook" -- as far as I know and what I recall reading, he was making up his playbook before last season. Where would his playbook be coming from considering he hasn't called NFL plays before unless we are assuming that he just took Holmgren's offense play by play and made it his. So am assuming Zorn's own playbook is a work in progress unlike Saunders who ran offenses for years and had his plays.

You read about Zorn's strong command about improving the QB and he seems excellent at it. But in terms of him as a play caller, I guess we are all giving him the benefit of the doubt considering there is no history to judge him aside from last season.

It strikes me that you read about how meticilous he is about details when working with QB's but unless I've missed something I have yet to fall on an article that depicts him as being an obsessive Joe Gibbs (stint 1), Parcells, Belichick type game planner who works to the wee hours of the morning to find ways to exploit the opposition. So I wonder if he indeed becomes this kick butt offensive coordinator that some of us expect.

Edit: catching up with some posts, in terms of the WCO I don't see how its a one size fits all. Joe Gibbs was more than just a Don Coryell guy. And its not as if all Don Coryell guys are just as good as coordinators as Joe Gibbs (stint 1) becuase they believe in that system. There seem to be twists to plays in every offense philosophy, what to call when, how to exploit the specific defense you are facing and so on and so forth.

Am assuming that Zorn is trying to put his own stamp on the offense. I wish that it would be so that since he agrees with Bill Walsh's philiosophy of a WCO, then he is going to be Walsh. But it doesn't seem to work that way, there have arguably been dud offensive coordinators who embrace the WCO. Not saying Zorn is going to be a dud. You got me one way or another. But am assuming he has some hurdles to climb and will have to grow into the job

Am hopeful in general, the one thing though in terms of Zorns "playbook" -- as far as I know and what I recall reading, he was making up his playbook before last season. Where would his playbook be coming from considering he hasn't called NFL plays before unless we are assuming that he just took Holmgren's offense play by play and made it his. So am assuming Zorn's own playbook is a work in progress unlike Saunders who ran offenses for years and had his plays.

You read about Zorn's strong command about improving the QB and he seems excellent at it. But in terms of him as a play caller, I guess we are all giving him the benefit of the doubt considering there is no history to judge him aside from last season.

It strikes me that you read about how meticilous he is about details when working with QB's but unless I've missed something I have yet to fall on an article that depicts him as being an obsessive Joe Gibbs (stint 1), Parcells, Belichick type game planner who works to the wee hours of the morning to find ways to exploit the opposition. So I wonder if he indeed becomes this kick butt offensive coordinator that some of us expect.

who is to say he doesn't? and second thats not the only way to be a successful coach. i could careless what he does as far as preping for the other team. as long as it produces results then its golden with me. he could make up plays on the toilet and half our before game time for all i care. if we win then so be it.

who is to say he doesn't? and second thats not the only way to be a successful coach. i could careless what he does as far as preping for the other team. as long as it produces results then its golden with me. he could make up plays on the toilet and half our before game time for all i care. if we win then so be it.

You never know. The media generally tends to pick up on coaches who are workaholics and report it. Maybe they are missing it here, and Zorn regularly works to 4 AM, etc. You got me. And like you I wouldn't care as long as he gets results. Can we say his offense looked hot last year, IMO, nope. So at least for me I can't say that he is just yet looking like a hot offensive coordinator.

Whether its all Jason Campbell's fault, the O line, the rookie receivers, who knows. I do think he should be given another chance this season for us to find out.

You never know. The media generally tends to pick up on coaches who are workaholics and report it. Maybe they are missing it here, and Zorn regularly works to 4 AM, etc. You got me. And like you I wouldn't care as long as he gets results. Can we say his offense looked hot last year, IMO, nope. So at least for me I can't say that he is just yet looking like a hot offensive coordinator.

actually, Zorn has said that he is definitely NOT like that. he doesn't work late hours. he does come in early, but he says it's important to his wellbeing (which affects his job performance) to have a good work-life balance.

meh, whatever works. i guess we'll see if it works this season. if he's not one of those OCD-types, it's silly to ask him to act like one, though.

Archived