Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If Michael Jordan evolutionized the game, what are players like Kobe Bryant...

WhoRUSupposed2Be

trying to create a new generation of players to cheer for, instead of just jerseys and logos.
reaping the benefits of those who've gone before them... like Jordan reaped the benefits of Magic and Byrd, who reaped the benefits of Wilt and Dr. J, who reaped the benefits of....
:yes: to both of you.

As good as I know Kobe Bryant to be, I still see him as a Jordan-alike. He came into the league trying to talk like MJ, trying to act like MJ and hoping to achieve what MJ achieved. Therefore (and I mean nothing against Kobe,) I don't think he did anything to revolutionize the game and create a legion of young fans who wanted to emulate him. He emulated someone else. When someone says, "I want to be like Kobe," they are really saying they want to be like Mike, who did it all just a little better.

Now- As much as I despise LeBron James, I definitely see where he is revolutionizing the game. He's like Magic in that he plays so many roles but I don't feel like he's trying to emulate Magic the way Bryant was trying to emulate Jordan. LBJ has his own thing going and is definitely the future of the league. (Burns me up to say that.)

As a major Jordan fan, I see Kobe and Lebron as the new spawn of players. Jordan didn't necessarily revolutionize the game, but set the bar higher. Kobe is great and so is Lebron.

Now Jordan has 6 titles that he basically carried his team. He had a nice supporting cast, but it was not as good as Kobe's and about on par with Lebron. Not to mention he retired after 3 championships, came back, and won another 3-peat...come on!!!!!

Kobe and Lebron are great talents, but they still have to show more to be on par.

Nah...

Exactly. LeBron has a lot of rings to collect before I'll give him "best ever" status and like I said in my last post- as good as Kobe is (and he is great) he's not MJ. I think people forget what Jordan was and what he could do. He never had Shaquille O'Neal and Phil Jackson was not who he is now when he joined MJ in Chicago. Kobe had a lot of help. People will say MJ had Pippen but if you look at Pippen's post-Jordan career you will see that it's Pippen who had MJ. Michael made Scottie so much better than he really was.

As good as I know Kobe Bryant to be, I still see him as a Jordan-alike. He came into the league trying to talk like MJ, trying to act like MJ and hoping to achieve what MJ achieved. Therefore (and I mean nothing against Kobe,) I don't think he did anything to revolutionize the game and create a legion of young fans who wanted to emulate him. He emulated someone else. When someone says, "I want to be like Kobe," they are really saying they want to be like Mike, who did it all just a little better.

Now- As much as I despise LeBron James, I definitely see where he is revolutionizing the game. He's like Magic in that he plays so many roles but I don't feel like he's trying to emulate Magic the way Bryant was trying to emulate Jordan. LBJ has his own thing going and is definitely the future of the league. (Burns me up to say that.)

But, you have to give Kobe his dues. We would be having a different discussion if Kobe was working to achieve his sixth championship ring.

Would you say that he was still emulating Michael Jordan or seperating himself from The Great and all the current underclassmens.

As a major Jordan fan, I see Kobe and Lebron as the new spawn of players. Jordan didn't necessarily revolutionize the game, but set the bar higher. Kobe is great and so is Lebron.

Now Jordan has 6 titles that he basically carried his team. He had a nice supporting cast, but it was not as good as Kobe's and about on par with Lebron. Not to mention he retired after 3 championships, came back, and won another 3-peat...come on!!!!!

Kobe and Lebron are great talents, but they still have to show more to be on par.

Rethink that one more time please.

Kobe is the 2nd best SG ever. Period. LeBron has a ways to go.

Nah...

;)

(I'm just being difficult. These are one of those horribly unfair and subjective things like comparing Landanian Thomilson to Jim Brown or Joe Montana to Tom Brady to Sammy Baugh. Who was best depends on what qualities matters most to you and what you experienced.

How would Kobe function in the 1960's or 1980's? My guess is he'd be damn good, but it was a different and rougher game back then and he might not have been quite as good or if we moved someone to the future we might realize that they were so much better than we thought they were. Could you imagine Gary Clark playing in today's "don't touch the receivers" NFL. Dude would have been unstoppable.)

You could ask this question about any sports' stars. If Jim Brown evolutionized the game of football what are LaDanian Tomlinson, Adrian Peterson, and Clinton Portis doing for the game?

Depends on your interpretation...

Are we suggesting racial motivation or just the position as a general?

Archived