Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What kind of laptop should i buy?

RonYoungEra

Well, after 4 years, my Toshiba Satellite laptop finally crapped out on me (motherboard went out w/o notice). :( so, i'm in the market for a new one, but the choices/options are a bit overwhelming! i usually use my laptop for surfing the net, downloading music, & watching movies. i'd like something fast, reliable/quality, and affordable (around $500). i've heard that toshiba and hp are the way to go. does anyone have any recommendations, links, insight, deals? thanks in advance!

I would check out HP's. But my opinion of computers is that you get what you pay for. So if possible, I would try to stay away from the $500 laptops. I am not saying spend a fortune, just make sure what you are getting won't be a waste of money in a few months.

The HP pavillion laptops are an absolute disaster. I've had two over the past two years and both were absolutely terrible. You want to use it for internet, music and movies which is exactly what I used it for and HP laptops absolutely sucked at it. After a month of using your laptop, you won't be able to play music and be on the internet at the same time without lags, delays and freezing.

I have a Toshiba right now and I couldn't be happier. It's perfect for playing music, movies and downloading.

Toshiba FTW!!!!

I had an HP laptop that MELTED!!! No, nothing was obstructing the fans or anything like that. I overheated and melted my keyboard and the whole thing was done.

I have had a Toshiba and am SUPER happy!!

I saw one at Walmart the other day for around $400!! It had 3GB RAM and 160GB hard drive. Its perfect for what you are looking for.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=11040413#ProductDetail

They have them at the store in Germantown, MD but you are a bit too far...lol

i've been looking at this brand..and that exact deal through newegg (great site).. does anyone have any experience w/lenovo firsthand? i've never heard of the brand until today!

and thanks for the insights all..i'm semi-convinced that toshiba is better than HP.. but this lenovo now has me pondering!..

ZOMG WUT R U TALKIN ABOUT MACS PWN ALL!!!!!!1!!!1!!11!1 :silly:

i guess i am the only person that has so far had good experiences with their hp. i got it from circuit city on black friday for $699 with a $150 mail in rebate(which i thankfully got before they went under :D)

it isnt a pavillion and im not sure if there is a name for the series but it has been good for me. i use it for pretty much the same thing that you do bodi.

Well, after 4 years, my Toshiba Satellite laptop finally crapped out on me (motherboard went out w/o notice). :( so, i'm in the market for a new one, but the choices/options are a bit overwhelming! i usually use my laptop for surfing the net, downloading music, & watching movies. i'd like something fast, reliable/quality, and affordable (around $500). i've heard that toshiba and hp are the way to go. does anyone have any recommendations, links, insight, deals? thanks in advance!

Have you considered a netbook? It's one of those mini laptops and was designed exactly for the things you described (surfing, e-mail, watch movies). You can't really store a lot of music and movies onto it, but external hard drives are so cheap now that you can just hook one of those up to it.

Anyway, netbooks start at a low-end of 250-400 depending on the features you want.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=772&name=Netbooks&Tpk=netbook

i've been looking at this brand..and that exact deal through newegg (great site).. does anyone have any experience w/lenovo firsthand? i've never heard of the brand until today!

and thanks for the insights all..i'm semi-convinced that toshiba is better than HP.. but this lenovo now has me pondering!..

lenovo is IBM. i have not owned one personally, but have worked with people who used them, and they are reliable. i don't know if you can get one for $500, but i would definitely recommend them over dell, etc. i have not used toshiba or hp in a long time, so i can't really comment, but i have used my fair share of dells, and while i do think they're generally cheap and terrible computers, i have actually never really had a major problem with them other than slowness and a few hard drive failures over the years.

i will add that i'm a recent mac convert (although i actually run linux on mine, and occasionally boot into windows when absolutely necessary), and i'd suggest looking into a macbook (with a student discount -- you can probably convince them over the phone that you are one without needing any proof) if you don't mind increasing your budget a little bit. in general i am not fond of apple as a whole, but they will fix anything that goes wrong with it if you just take it to an apple store and be persistent.

HP Touchsmart laptop. Completely changes the computing experience particularly when Windows 7 is released. I am running the release candidate now on it. It is like a large itouch.

what do you think of windows 7? i'm hesitant to buy a computer now w/vista if windows 7 is gonna drop later this year.. everything i've read says good things and there'll be a free upgrade from vista, but only for computers bought after 7/1..i dunno if i can wait a month.. is that what you (or anyone esle) have heard? thanks!

what do you think of windows 7? i'm hesitant to buy a computer now w/vista if windows 7 is gonna drop later this year.. everything i've read says good things and there'll be a free upgrade from vista, but only for computers bought after 7/1..i dunno if i can wait a month.. is that what you (or anyone esle) have heard? thanks!

Thats crazy b/c Vista hasn't even been out all that long...

Archived