Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best use of music in television or movies

SUSkinsFan

No mention of John Williams and his score for the Star Wars Original Trilogy? John Williams score MADE Star Wars what it is. Best use of music in a film that I can think of.

Edit: nm...I just saw post #29

Recalling that when someone (AFI?) presented it's Lifetime Achievement award to Spielberg, the first thing he said was "I want to thank John Williams."

(I also think that the music he wrote for Lost in Space was very good, too.)

Great idea for a thread!

Basically all of the Dust Brothers stuff in Fight Club

The Doors' "The End" in Apocalypse Now

Someone mentioned Stuck in the Middle With You from Reservoir Dogs, which also makes me think of Singing in The Rain in A Clockwork Orange. I always felt Tarantino was inspired by that scene to impact the viewer in a lasting way, where you can't hear that song again without associating it with the violence of the scene (much like Alex). Kubrick was a master

Jaws. duh

Rage Against The Machine's "Bombtrack" in Natural Born Killers. The build up to the explosion of violence as Mickey is telling the joke to the prison guards

I am going to through some video game music in here. Shadow of the Colossus music was incredible.

It was incredible because you didn't realize it was there. It never distracted you from the game. But, it did help build the emotion of the game and made you feel as though something significant happened.

This game would be totally different with a different soundtrack

Recently, I thought The Watchmen made great use of its soundtrack. "The Times They Are A-Changin'" by Bob Dylan, "The Sound of Silence" by Simon and Garfunkel, and "Hallelujah" by Leonard Cohen were all used perfectly.

Great idea for a thread!

Basically all of the Dust Brothers stuff in Fight Club

Don't forget The Pixies "Where is my Mind" at the end of Fight Club

I thought of "Where is my Mind" when I was reading page two of this thread. I think that song makes the end of the movie. Good call.

I like the music Quentin Tarantino uses in his movies

I was also thinking this as well. One thing that Quentin Tarantino does really well is the music. Nothing jumps off the page but all of the music in his movies are great.

My nominations:

Comfortably Numb - The Departed

I can't find a clip of it on youtube but it's during the sex scene. The song features Van Morrison and is pretty awesome.

Let the Drummer Kick - Accepted

Can't find a clip of this one either but if anything, that movie featured a really good soundtrack.

- Stand By Me

This one always gets me. Very memorable.

"Stuck in the Middle With You"- Torture scene in Reservoir Dogs. Pretty intense.

Actually, Tarantino (imo) uses music better than anyone in movies, overall.

Also, nod to The Doors movie- incredible use of music in that flick. It helps that the Doors kick ass though

here it is

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9031272377329498376&ei=eI4hSqfjO4nKqgKr4dTOBw&q=Reservoir+Dogs&hl=en

Both Terminator soundtracks are awesome. So twisted.

(Music Only)

Police Station Massacre - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_2Y-9wRQzU&feature=channel_page

Escape from the Hospital - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X3oLkC72uU&feature=related

Escape from Cyberdyne -

Terminator 1 Theme (non orchestrated) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wCyZm7_uwU&feature=related

- Requiem for a Dream

A very depressing song for a very depressing movie. Everyone has heard this song (in one form or another) but most don't know the name. It's been used in numerous movies but this is the first and, I believe, best use of this song in a movie. I also think that this movie is Marlon Wayans finest acting moment.

I'm too lazy to read too many pages, so I hope this wasn't said already. Jett Li's: The One had great music for the scenes, especially at the beginning of the movie when he's fighting at the prison and even his escape.

I am going to through some video game music in here. Shadow of the Colossus music was incredible.

It was incredible because you didn't realize it was there. It never distracted you from the game. But, it did help build the emotion of the game and made you feel as though something significant happened.

This game would be totally different with a different soundtrack

Sorry.

Title for "Best soundtrack in a video game" goes to Peter Gunn in "Spy Hunter".

Recently, I thought The Watchmen made great use of its soundtrack. "The Times They Are A-Changin'" by Bob Dylan, "The Sound of Silence" by Simon and Garfunkel, and "Hallelujah" by Leonard Cohen were all used perfectly.
Good call, forgot about Watchmen.

For some reason, "All Along the Watchtower" was probably the song that most stood out to me the way it was used.

If You Leave Me Now - Three Kings

That movie was filled with great music. I particularly liked the scene when they steal the Iraqi limo and there is the song "If You Leave Me Now" by Chicago playing as they storm the base. So much violence for such a "nice" song.

. In a scene that could be the precursor to Apocalypse Now's "Ride of the Valkyries".

The music I'm referring to begins about 3:00 into the clip, but the entire clip's good.

(The context for the scene is: The tanks need to get across a river. The only bridge across the river that the Air Force hasn't blown up is a railroad bridge that crosses a canyon and then immediately passes into a tunnel. They have to cross using the railroad bridge, then drive through the tunnel, to get to the other side.)

Archived