Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best use of music in television or movies

SUSkinsFan

Barry Levinson made the best use of a song in a movie with the ironic juxtaposition Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World" in "Good Morning Vietnam" playing over scenes of violence and death. Very powerful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1tl0RNuvQo

Levinson is a master at using music in his movies. Diner is one of my favorite movies of all time, and his use of music as soundtrack for the era in it really really good. You can tell how much music means to him, because the characters discuss music as part of the dialogue throughout too.( The Daniel Stern Shrevie character with his record collection, who's a better singer to "make-out" to, Mathis or Sinatra, etc.)

But NO discussion of use of music in movies would be complete without a nod to George Lucas, who pretty much singlehandedly created a renaissance in 50's rock and roll in the early 70's with the movie American Graffiti. The music was more than a soundtrack, it was what the characters were listening to as well.

"Stuck in the Middle With You"- Torture scene in Reservoir Dogs. Pretty intense.

Actually, Tarantino (imo) uses music better than anyone in movies, overall.

Also, nod to The Doors movie- incredible use of music in that flick. It helps that the Doors kick ass though

But NO discussion of use of music in movies would be complete without a nod to George Lucas, who pretty much singlehandedly created a renaissance in 50's rock and roll in the early 70's with the movie American Graffiti. The music was more than a soundtrack, it was what the characters were listening to as well.

Wow, you're right.

Before George Lucas, nobody liked 50's music. And nobody had ever had the idea of using 50's music in a movie that was set in the 50's.

(Sorry for the sarcasm. I think that Lucas has produced some very good work, which I've thoroughly enjoyed. (Which is, after all, the purpose.) I just don't understand the worship I seem to see in people who seem to think that he invented science fiction, or the idea that spaceports would have bars in them, or using operatic themes in film music. Lucas made good movies. He didn't invent good movies.)

And actually- the idea of setting a sci fi movie (Star Wars) to a classical music score was pretty dam inspiring too for its time.

I was watching the History Of Star Wars dvd not long ago and Lucas screened Star Wars to his director buddies (Spielberg, etc.)... none of them "got it" and predicted it would flop.

However, upon seeing it in the movie theater, Spielberg said IMMEDIATELY that it was one of the greatest movies he'd ever seen and that it would be a smash success. The only difference was that Lucas had added John Williams' (masterful, imo) musical score to the theater version that Spielberg had just seen

I might have to take back my Tarantino comment. Come to think of it, Lucas might be as good or better

"Stuck in the Middle With You"- Torture scene in Reservoir Dogs. Pretty intense.

Actually, Tarantino (imo) uses music better than anyone in movies, overall.

Also, nod to The Doors movie- incredible use of music in that flick. It helps that the Doors kick ass though

He is great by my favorite is Cameron Crowe: Seen All Good People from Yes in Almost Famous...also Tiny Dancer

Vanilla Sky had Salbury Hill

Say Anything had In Your Eyes

He makes the momentus scenes with his music chosen

more classics:

Fortunate Son in Forest Gump

Any scene in The Big Chill

whoever brought up Fandango is gold for bringing up such a great sleeper movie...all who haven't seen it SHOULD ASAP.

Tracks of My Tears in Platoon with the new Chris was key

Come Together in A Bronx Tale was a classic scene never to be forgotten

many more,,,

There was an old series called Wiseguy. It was a mob show and at the end of the season Sonny finds out Vinny Terranova was a fed that betrayed him. They played Knights in White Satin, great clip. Gave Kevin Spacey his start too, as a great character named Mel Profit.

Wow, you're right.

Before George Lucas, nobody liked 50's music. And nobody had ever had the idea of using 50's music in a movie that was set in the 50's.

(Sorry for the sarcasm. I think that Lucas has produced some very good work, which I've thoroughly enjoyed. (Which is, after all, the purpose.) I just don't understand the worship I seem to see in people who seem to think that he invented science fiction, or the idea that spaceports would have bars in them, or using operatic themes in film music. Lucas made good movies. He didn't invent good movies.)

I mentioned Lucas in spite of all the sci-fi crap he did after American Grafitti. :D

And yes, that movie did spark a resurgence of interest in 1950s rock and roll. And yes, he was the first to use 1950s music in which the music is part of the movie and integral to the scenes, and not just background music.

There was an old series called Wiseguy. It was a mob show and at the end of the season Sonny finds out Vinny Terranova was a fed that betrayed him. They played Knights in White Satin, great clip. Gave Kevin Spacey his start too, as a great character named Mel Profit.

Man I remember that series. That was a damned good show.

You mean form the 1979 Album The Wall by Pink Floyd?

No. I mean the Live in Berlin version with Van Morrison and the Band from 1990. They used it in the soundtrack for the Departed and the scene I mentioned has Christopher slipping in a copy of the soundtrack while sky high on heroin.

Did anybody see "That Thing You Do"? Tom Hanks produced it and had a small part as a record executive. It's about a band from Erie, PA in the early 60s that has a 1-hit song. The title song was written for the movie, and is a catchy little early-Beatlesque sounding song. The movie would not have worked if the song didn't work.

No. I mean the Live in Berlin version with Van Morrison and the Band from 1990. They used it in the soundtrack for the Departed and the scene I mentioned has Christopher slipping in a copy of the soundtrack while sky high on heroin.

Owned :doh:

Never occurred to me anyone would remake that song.

Owned :doh:

Never occurred to me anyone would remake that song.

Roger Waters put the show on to commemorate the fall of the Berlin Wall.

He had a host of guest performers for the show (Van Morrison, The Band, Joni Mitchell, Bryan Adams, etc.....)

Archived