Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Jason La Canfora (JLC or JLac) to NFL Network

GenMgr

Thats all I look for from a Redskins Insider. I mean, I like HomerMcFanboy (is that Murf?) and JimmiJO for just about the same reason. I'm not really looking for any kind of bias in reporting. I'd just like somebody who can give me accurate facts. Its a tiresome procedure trying to cypher through an article and decide how much of it I can believe.

That's really all we ask for in a beat reporter. David Elfin has been doing it for a long time for the Times, and I think he generally does a good job.

That's really all we ask for in a beat reporter. David Elfin has been doing it for a long time for the Times, and I think he generally does a good job.

I was going to post but MartinC already said everything, then I was going to comment on David Elfin who has been doing the blog at the Times almost as long as JLC has been at the post and has done a great job . For all those defending him you have to realize it is not the negative spin he did or did not put on things or the way he apparently kept things real . It is the fact he ended up not reporting on the news but reporting the news the way he thought it should be told and has in the past lead the hang'em and cook'em on a merry dance with halve truths and rumors .

lol, i got this vision of larry michael with that stupid grin and suit with the red power tie on, riding around on a burgandy tractor with steam coming out of it yelling "playoffs! playoffs!"

I hate Larry Michael as well. Actually that's not true. I enjoy listening/reading each of their stuff equally. Michael only reports the positive and puts a silver lining on everything (see Bob Carpenter). LaCanfora puts a negative spin on everything. The difference is that LaCanfora sometimes tries to make news instead of just report it.

How about the next guy gets trained by Tarik El-Bashir? He's proof that the Post has guys that can report news and give opinions that are balanced and fair.

I hate Larry Michael as well. Actually that's not true. I enjoy listening/reading each of their stuff equally. Michael only reports the positive and puts a silver lining on everything (see Bob Carpenter). LaCanfora puts a negative spin on everything. The difference is that LaCanfora sometimes tries to make news instead of just report it.

How about the next guy gets trained by Tarik El-Bashir? He's proof that the Post has guys that can report news and give opinions that are balanced and fair.

larry michael is way worse than bob carpenter. carpenter isnt a homer, hes more like a wishful thinker. and with the nationals, he has to be sometimes. and besides, dibble has been keeping him in check which is awesome. dibbles been our best color guy to date.

Prediction - as long as the front office has this current structure. It won't matter who's covering the Skins....and where they are from. People here will claim there is a hidden agenda that is making things look worse than they are........AND its just bad luck since Snyder has owned the team.

I'm sure that some will claim it but that doesn't mean that the team hasn't received slanted coverage from JLC. The team has earned a lot of criticism but not everything they do is stupid.

larry michael is way worse than bob carpenter. carpenter isnt a homer, hes more like a wishful thinker. and with the nationals, he has to be sometimes. and besides, dibble has been keeping him in check which is awesome. dibbles been our best color guy to date.

I'd agree but it really grates on me sometimes to hear him try to spin everything positively. And I agree 100% about Dibble. I wasn't too excited about the move when I first heard about it but he has been great and a nice foil to Carpenter.

I'd trade Larry for Jason any day. Jason said alot of negative things about the team, and yes I get pissed sometimes when I read his stuff, but the fact is that he is just telling it like it is. This team hasn't won more than 10 games in 18 years!!!!!! I'd rather have someone like Jason pissing off Vinny then Larry Micheal trying to sugar-coat the situation.

I'd trade Larry for Jason any day. Jason said alot of negative things about the team, and yes I get pissed sometimes when I read his stuff, but the fact is that he is just telling it like it is. This team hasn't won more than 10 games in 18 years!!!!!! I'd rather have someone like Jason pissing off Vinny then Larry Micheal trying to sugar-coat the situation.

The difference is that Michael is a company paid glad-hander. You know that going in. The Post's beat reporter is not supposed to be a hatchet man. A beat reporter is supposed to report news. He's supposed to be objective. There are plenty examples of good beat reporters out there and JLC is not one of them. And the real answer to your trade is neither. I'd designate both of them for assignment. If JLC is truly gone I will dance a jig and pray that the Post assigns a reporter that will report the things they do well with the same amount of glee that he reports the negative.

No man tried harder to make himself a national star than JLC. No man failed more, attempting to hold ESPN up for more cash, before being rejected for faulty reporting. A man who could develop no sources within the organization he coveres now moves to a position he'll be asked to develop sources around the league.

It ought to be amusing at the very least.

Honestly, I don't even hold Elfin in that high a regard. True, he doesn't make the news up like JLC often times did, but he seems to go on hiatuses where he gives us nothing at all. What he gives us I appreciate, but I enjoy Murf, and Terl because they actually get us more than just the headline news.

I mean, everybody's gonna cover the Redskins and Cutler story. But who's gonna get us an interview with Rock Cartright? I'll tell you who - Larry, Terl, and Murf. It may not be the most interesting thing in the world, but its something nice to pass through the offseason.

Taking it to another dimension, I appreciate guys like KDawg and Matt Bowen who, while not really providing news, provide some nice pieces on understanding the game. Those make for some good offseason reads.

I'm glad you said this. It saved me from typing it.

They love the Larry Michael Burgundy & Gold Propaganda Machine.

Are you kidding? I hate that way, way more than I hate JLC.

Actually, I don't "hate" JLC at all, I just find him to be totally irrelevant. I can't think of a single story he broke as an "insider." If I want to find out the latest news about the Skins, he's one of the last sources I would go to.

No man tried harder to make himself a national star than JLC. No man failed more, attempting to hold ESPN up for more cash, before being rejected for faulty reporting. A man who could develop no sources within the organization he coveres now moves to a position he'll be asked to develop sources around the league.

It ought to be amusing at the very least.

But...But, he DOES have league sources. He mentions them all the time in his blog. :D

Seriously, tho, it doesn't seem that you are required to have actual skills to be promoted to the national stage. Both Nunyo and JLC have gotten their promotions despite being pretty worthless as beat writers here. Course, considering how much either wanted to MAKE the story, maybe that's the stuff those guys want. Whether or not that constitutes real reporting is somewhat questionable.

BTW, searching around, it looks like Nunyo stopped writing for SI back in 2007. I'm not sure what he's doing now.

But...But, he DOES have league sources. He mentions them all the time in his blog. :D

Seriously, tho, it doesn't seem that you are required to have actual skills to be promoted to the national stage. Both Nunyo and JLC have gotten their promotions despite being pretty worthless as beat writers here. Course, considering how much either wanted to MAKE the story, maybe that's the stuff those guys want. Whether or not that constitutes real reporting is somewhat questionable.

BTW, searching around, it looks like Nunyo stopped writing for SI back in 2007. I'm not sure what he's doing now.

Look. Nunyo was a young black writer the Post couldn't wait to get rid of and SI came in, hired him, then saw how atrocious he was and did what the Post couldn't. Fire him, though, they hid it with slowdown stuff :). Nunyo was last seen on a park bench in New York, feeding birds and giving a web chat about me. The guy is as loser as it gets.

JLC differs from Nunyo in a few ways. Nunyo had more natural skill as a writer than Jason, but was EXTREMELY lazy. Jason, while dry, isn't actually quite as lazy. He lacks in skill, sure, but his main flaw isn't that. It's that he believes to cover a team you must be adversarial. Good beat reporters believe you should be cooperative. Maske wasn't "friendly" to the team, but he respected how the game is played by writers who have a good fan following.

JLC never has. He's marketed himself to the moron. Effectively.

NFLN guys don't seem to do as much bashing as Pumpkinhead does so perhaps he'll be forced to tone down his "class" act a bit for TV. If he comes out and says crap like that about Vinny on TV, he won't be around long.

Archived