Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How many languages can you speak?

Forehead

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

English and Spanish are my best

like 7 years of french. got to the point where i was reading voltaire, etc in french. Still pick up a book every once in a while to make sure i still got it

2 years of italian in college + a study abroad in rome made me pretty proficient

i have a lot more respect for non-romance language speakers though (especially since spanish was my first language and picking up italian and french came pretty easy to me)

Spanish, conversationally.

The rest are certainly not fluent, but enough to get around: french and german.

A little Tagalog too (we spent a year studying before our Philippines trip in order to be effective in our community health projects; the req. kinda sucked at the beginning b/c it was on top of all of our other class work, but it ended up being so helpful...I'll never work on another international project again without a lot of local language prep).

Oh yeah, and a decent amount of sign language. One of our classmates is deaf, so our PI project group spent that year studying sign language as well, which was so cool! Sign language is my most favorite of all, it's pretty fun, and it's something that's pretty neat to learn because you are doing something to help people with that disability that you come into contact with throughout your life feel more comfortable and not so isolated.

So I guess the bottom line is English really, Spanish mediocrely, and then a little bit of a lot of other languages.

Fluent in Polish, Kashubian

Passable in French, Italian

Can pick up a majority of the words and phrases in German, Spanish if they're slow enough.

Understand just enough Mandarin to catch when they're talking about me so I can get wontons thrown in for free

Hablo Espanol. I took French in middle school. Really wished I had stuck to it since it was SO easy for me since Spanish was my native language.

I wonder how many people on here claiming to know Spanish, or any other language, REALLY know how to speak it...

I was a linguist in the AF. I lived in Germany for 4 years as an Army brat so my choice in the AF was German; but as a German linguist you also learn some Russian. Then the Cold War ended and all of us German linguists were told to cross-train. Perfect timing to learn Arabic.

Hablo Espanol. I took French in middle school. Really wished I had stuck to it since it was SO easy for me since Spanish was my native language.

I wonder how many people on here claiming to know Spanish, or any other language, REALLY know how to speak it...

and if they cant you got lied to on the internet wont be the last time lol

Farsi is the Persian word for the language. Same as Espanol is for Spanish. When speaking or writing in English, the proper term is Persian not Farsi.

I see I see. But there are variations to the Persian language not just Farsi. Its just my Persian friends growing up would say they speak Farsi but are Persian or Iranian. But I know what you are saying.

Farsi is the Persian word for the language. Same as Espanol is for Spanish. When speaking or writing in English, the proper term is Persian not Farsi.

Actually the proper term for "Spanish" is Castellano, which is the regional dialect from Castille that became the official state language in the 13th century.

Some other languages native to Spain are Catalan, Aragonese, Basque, Asturian, Caló, and Galician. Their origins vary from being Romance based to Gaelic based to Romani origin.

I see I see. But there are variations to the Persian language not just Farsi. Its just my Persian friends growing up would say they speak Farsi but are Persian or Iranian. But I know what you are saying.

They were wrong. Persian is the correct English word for Farsi. Other languages spoken in Iran are Turkish, Lori, Armenian, Arabic and Hebrew among others.

Actually the proper term for "Spanish" is Castellano, which is the regional dialect from Castille that became the official state language in the 13th century.

Some other languages native to Spain are Catalan, Aragonese, Basque, Asturian, Caló, and Galician. Their origins vary from being Romance based to Gaelic based to Romani origin.

Not correct. Castellano is the Spanish/Castilian word for the language. In English the word for Castellano is Castilian. However, it is proper to refer to it as Spanish when speaking English.

Not correct. Castellano is the Spanish/Castilian word for the language. In English the word for Castellano is Castilian. However, it is proper to refer to it as Spanish when speaking English.

Castellano is a synonym of the word Spanish in this context but also in a historical reference Castellano is the local dialect that became what is now known as the "Spanish language".

It's a common but incorrect useage in English to refer to it as Spanish. You can barely get away with calling the language Spanish in Spain, as it is a touchy subject. It's not proper in the same way as to say Oriental and not referring to rugs.

In the same way as their is no language named Chinese, Indian, Iranian or Soviet, there is technically no such language called Spanish.

Just to top it off

Castellano - the more precise name for the Spanish we know - is the national language and is spoken throughout Spain. However, what many people don't know is that along with the widespread Castellano, there are three other fully-developed independent languages: Gallego, Catalán and Vasco. Why, then, is Castellano the language most commonly thought of as Spanish?

Each of the four languages is historically linked to a specific region. Castellano, while it is spoken throughout the Spanish-speaking world, is actually the result of badly-spoken Latin spoken originally across Cantabria, Burgos and La Rioja. Eventually the language spread into and became the principal language of the ultra-important, government-based Kingdom of Castilla- hence Castellano: the language of Castilla.

I'm obviously fluent in English. I'm can understand and read a decent amount of Spanish, and I know enough Mandarin to not starve to death, sleep on the street, or defecate in my pants if I were in China. I'm in the process of becoming fluent in Spanish and Mandarin, and I plan on learning Russian and Arabic within the next 5-10 years.

Archived