Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How many languages can you speak?

Forehead

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I wonder how many people on here claiming to know Spanish, or any other language, REALLY know how to speak it...

It's a good question, I'm sure everyone has a different idea of what "fluent" is. I chose 1+ because I speak English, and I remember enough phrases from my Spanish classes to converse with a 3 year old, but only if they speak slowly, and stick to counting.;)

Here's a good question. Take a country like China. Mandarin is the most common Chinese language, correct? But aren't there a ton of other variations? Do you not count yourself as fluent unless you know a majority of them?

Other than English - I've learned ASL. Although deaf people have to slow down some w/ me - so I can keep up! My signing is ahead of reading others' signing.....I know some phrases here and there in French (from what i remeber from hs) and Japanese (used to live in Okinawa).

English and Spanish. The Spanish came from living in Medellin, CO when I was a kid and it was easy to pick up. Went to Mexico for a month of immersive study about 10 years and I'm lucky that I get to use the Spanish all the time here at work and outside of work as well. Thank you immigrants who refuse to learn English!!! NOT that I am making the thread about that but it's an interesting side effect that it's beneficial to me.

I lived in Naples for four years and I used to be quite fluent in Italian. (I worked at the pool on the NATO base and fluency in Italian was one of the job requirements.)

My Grandma was Italian. We used to converse in it before she passed. The only problem is that hers was a northern dialect, and mine southern.

I can probably get by now. If I were plopped down in Italy for a few days, I'm sure that I'd be fluent again in no time. I'd love to go back and spend a month, or two......

Archived