Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is TO a changed man?

Passizle

The problem here is not whether or not he is any better than he was as a young selfish 49er....

I actually think he seemed to be a better team-mate as a cowboy than as a 49er or Eagle (mind you I said better, that doesn't mean good).

The real issue, is how would any player perform if every move, word, expression were scrutinized to the level that he is going to be. I would argue that any run of the mill player scrutinized on that level would be a severe distraction.

So even giving him the benefit of the doubt, and claiming that he is no more or less selfish than an average player (I realize this is a stretch), then you are still left with a significant distraction.

As a fan, this is the only way to approach the situation, every bit of information that comes out around this guy is going to be massaged, filtered, skewed, blow out of proportion, etc. So how is an average Joe supposed to make up his mind?

Bottom line:

1) There is no way to tell what is real and what is contrived

2) Even if he has changed, there is still going to be a distraction to the team because of who he is

IDK... he seemed pretty sincere in that video. I have not seen him like that before... and to the poster who said he was quiet in Dallas...

You dont remember? His crap started before training camp... and then there was the stationary bike stuff... the tension between him and Tuna...

It kind of snowballed right from the beginning.

I think a leapord can change its stripes. Emmit was right. While I dont know if TO is faking it or making it, I think its pretty interesting to see him there and to see him at least appear humble.

IDK... he seemed pretty sincere in that video. I have not seen him like that before... and to the poster who said he was quiet in Dallas...

You dont remember? His crap started before training camp... and then there was the stationary bike stuff... the tension between him and Tuna...

I think a leapord can change its stripes. Emmit was right. While I dont know if TO is faking it or making it, I think its pretty interesting to see him there and to see him at least appear humble.

Lol...leopards have spots....

IDK...Ive seen him act sincere and humble before at pressers and interviews....

Maybe hes changed, maybe not....who cares really.

As soon as Buffalo starts the season 0-8.. the real TO will step up i am sure, especially since he only signed a 1 year deal. He will "waaaa waaaa waaaaa!" so they dont WANT him back, then he'll sign with another team the follwing season..... if he keeps playing.

In answer to your question, allow me to quote wordsmith extraordinaire Emmitt Smith:

"You cannot change the stripes of a leopard."

LOL!!! Man what a moron. Thank goodness ESPN got rid of that dumb@ss. In response to the original question: TO is who he is and will never change that divisive personality of his.

Because teams are ignorant. He's a play maker. He's produced everywhere he's been. Sure he talks a lot and isn't shy about speaking his mind, but what's wrong with that? It's not like he talks **** and fails to produce. You get him the ball, your chances of winning are better, and it's a fact.

If it weren't for the media, how often would you hear about him?

There's a difference between a player "speaking" his mind and him tearing a locker room apart. On the three teams he has been on (49ers, Eagles, Cowboys) he produced great numbers and was an asset to their passing game. The problem isn't him demanding the ball, it's the way he demands the ball. He steps on the toes of his teammates and basically wants all the attention. In his mind, there isn't a team, there is only T.O.

To paraphrase Southpark, Owens' ego is so huge that he really doesn't feel like he's ever been at fault for anything wrong that might have gone down with the three teams he has been with. He does these "mental gymnastics" to basically deflect all the blame away from himself, convince others that he's not the problem, and divides locker rooms as a result. There is no denying his talent, he is a great player who is a strong possibility to be HOFer. But he ruins his chemistry with teammates, alienates coaches, and prevents himself from getting any better. In the end, QBs force the ball to him just to shut him up.

The NFL, like all competitive sports, is a game of confidence.

Some players gain confidence by excelling at their position and earning the respect of fellow teammates, coaches, and opponents. Other players are more introverted and the confidence stems from their own "swagger," if you will.

If TO is really a changed man, then he ought to just hang-up his cleats right now.

(See: Mike Tyson)

Because teams are ignorant. He's a play maker. He's produced everywhere he's been. Sure he talks a lot and isn't shy about speaking his mind, but what's wrong with that? It's not like he talks **** and fails to produce. You get him the ball, your chances of winning are better, and it's a fact.

If it weren't for the media, how often would you hear about him?

Since Mr. Owens came into the league in 1996, no one has dropped more passes than he has. Think about how many receivers are in the league solely because their 40 times are awesome but can't catch a cold. Now read that first sentence again.

Leopard:

leopard222.jpg

"Lookit all them stripes, Daddy!"series_squidbillies.jpg

Read this Wojo article, will help explain TO

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=4174252&sportCat=nfl

new team, new city, new fans, new tv show

equals TO stage 1 "honeymoon period" AKA the good TO

we've seen this TO before, when he first signed with Philly, and again when he first signed with Dallas, won't last too long.

Count on at least two or three times when Owens publicly complains about not getting the ball enough. (Multiply the figure by 1,000 for private complaints.) He did it this past September after a Cowboys loss to the Washington Redskins. Problem is, local beat reporters went back and counted how many passes were thrown his way that day. The number: 18. Oops.

I should go back and count how many he dropped. :D

The real issue, is how would any player perform if every move, word, expression were scrutinized to the level that he is going to be. I would argue that any run of the mill player scrutinized on that level would be a severe distraction.

So even giving him the benefit of the doubt, and claiming that he is no more or less selfish than an average player (I realize this is a stretch), then you are still left with a significant distraction.

As a fan, this is the only way to approach the situation, every bit of information that comes out around this guy is going to be massaged, filtered, skewed, blow out of proportion, etc. So how is an average Joe supposed to make up his mind?

Bottom line:

1) There is no way to tell what is real and what is contrived

2) Even if he has changed, there is still going to be a distraction to the team because of who he is

the point is TO craves and generates the attention, if the focus isn't on him, he will do or say something to put the spotlight back on him.

blaming the media for the TO distractions, is like complaining about someone punching you, after you kicked them first.

There are tons of star athletes that attract media attention, yet the media ONLY singles out TO, and tries to distort his image, spreading lies about him, and falsely blaming him..... no one else, in any sport,.... just TO :thumbsup:

every 35 year old journeyman WR that has never won a championship, on a sub 500 team is always a big ratings grabber :hysterical:

That's a good point. Whenever the management at my job wants someone gone but can't find a glaring reason to do so, they put the magnifying glass on them until they have built up enough mistakes to justify ****canning the person in question. It usually only takes a week or two. In the end, we all make mistakes, but many of them go unnoticed. The thing with T.O. is that he brings it on himself. He wants it that way because he is an attention whore. Plus, now he gets to complain about the media attention that he wanted in the first place. Brilliant!

He seems contrite and humble and it may be his most convincing act yet. But Owens is an entertainer, and he loves being in the spotlight. I can imagine he will be a better team mate than he was as a cowboy, but is better enough?

Personally, I don't believe it. I think he's become a more polished actor and that's what your actually viewing.

That's a good point. Whenever the management at my job wants someone gone but can't find a glaring reason to do so, they put the magnifying glass on them until they have built up enough mistakes to justify ****canning the person in question. It usually only takes a week or two. In the end, we all make mistakes, but many of them go unnoticed. The thing with T.O. is that he brings it on himself. He wants it that way because he is an attention whore. Plus, now he gets to complain about the media attention that he wanted in the first place. Brilliant!

I agree that he has brought it on himself....whether he likes it or not, his track record with the 49ers and Eagles has gotten him labeled as a malcontent (rightfully so). The issue that I was addressing is that EVEN if he had changed, now that the situation is the way it is, the media is going to turn it into a controversy. It's like reality television, the producer behind the scene is going to "script" the story line to say what he wants, which is not likely to be a very accurate depiction of what actaully happened.....

You just wait until December when it's -14 degrees in Buffalo and he catches One pass for 7 yards.

Oh, so now that he's gone you can talk **** like we have been for years? :laugh::laugh:

It's been funny reading Eagles and Cowboys, before and after posts the past few years.

TO is a great receiver, but he's nuts.

If he keeps the crazy in check, Buffalo will be fine. In fact, if I'm Trent Edwards, I'm pumped that he's on my team.

Things are usually great for the first season. He doesn't need to do anything to keep the attention on him. It's when he's no longer the new kid that his extreme narcissism begins emerging.

Oh, so now that he's gone you can talk **** like we have been for years? :laugh::laugh:

It's been funny reading Eagles and Cowboys, before and after posts the past few years.

I am one of the biggest Owens supporters on this board and will support Owens until he retires.

I don't bash Owens.

I just speak the truth.

Archived