Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN NEWS: Portis to lose up to 10 pounds...

heliKCx17

Is portis a powerback? What category would you guys put portis in?

I thougt he would get bigger because he's not going to get any faster as time goes by

I'd just call him a helluva back. lol. Has speed when he needs it, and he'll run your ass over, too!

Is portis a powerback? What category would you guys put portis in?

I thougt he would get bigger because he's not going to get any faster as time goes by

I'd just say "All-Around" if I had to call him anything. He's got enought power to run over you, and enough quickness to run around you. Blocks well, and has decent hands. Just an "All-Around" great RB.

Hence the name...

:silly:

Portis is still pretty fast as evidenced by his foot race with landry (who ran 4.3 forty).

If he loses some poundage he'll be quicker and shiftier, and that can only help the Skins so long as the passing game is working (which is what he had in Denver).

Rams 05

Packers 04 (but it was called back off BS penalty)

But yeah, it just occurred to me that Portis is going to need to lengthen his strides. I have a video of some of his highlights from Denver, but his running strides are much longer. He also hits his holes without hesitation and honestly, looks better than Adrian Peterson.

You don't lengthen your stride until you are past the traffic or the DBs angles are compromised by your down field blocks. On all but a handful of runs, CP's down field blockers have been outnumbered.

You don't lengthen your stride until you are past the traffic or the DBs angles are compromised by your down field blocks. On all but a handful of runs, CP's down field blockers have been outnumbered.

I don't think you understand what I'm saying. Portis has developed a shorter stride since coming to Washington. Like when he hits top speed, he's not taking the lengths he used to.

I'm trying to upload the Portis in Denver highlights right now actually. You'll see what I mean if I can get the video up. It's from his second year in Denver, when I believe he was around 210.

In Denver he got 2nd round money, which was pennies compared to what he was worth at the time. Averaging over 5 yards per carry......

So he got fat and happy after he got his money and averages less than 4 yards in his career in Washington. Portis got the money he wanted and after he got it we got very little production for our huge investment. He is paid like LT, does he produce like him......NO!!!

Portis is a great back. I feel like every offseason I hear something about his weight. I have yet to see him be any different from year to year.

What we need is a darren sproles type back ... get rid of betts for a back like this and you will see a dynamic running game.

Older back? He is stil 27. Same age as Michael Turner, know one calls him an "old back"

He is two years younger than Westbrook, so why does Portis get called old, and Westbrook is in his prime?

Wear and tear. Portis has many more rush attempts then these guys. Part of that is because Westbrooks an injury prone player. At least Portis stays healthy for the most part. I'd take Portis and his rush attempts knowing he will be there for us when the seasons going on then Westbrook any day. Westbrooks never played in a 16 game season ever and isn't likely to start that this year

Here's the thing though, is Zorn changing the running game?

If I remember correctly, Portis initially added the weight on because of the Gibbs-style smash-mouth running game, and that is the running game Zorn kept in place in 2008.

Will losing weight mean more damage and fatigue to Portis's body if the running game remains in the same scheme?

Archived