Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN NEWS: Portis to lose up to 10 pounds...

heliKCx17

Whether he's at 215 or 205, Clinton still has some mileage left. He has another year or two as an elite running back barring injury. Only then does the team start looking at another franchise back.

Looking back now since 2004, Clinton was by far the best aquisition, even though it cost up Champ

His body is so beat up anyways from the poor line play last year and Zorn's over-reliance on him that 10 pounds will not matter anyways. He is done, last year was his last productive year ever in D.C.

Great job with your research. Tremendous effort in digging for those facts.

Lets see if Zorn is smart enough to abandon the gibbs riggo based running game playbook, and stop calling portis up the gut for most all of his carries. That play doesnt work. Run sellers up the gut. Get Portis into space. Its hard to watch down 2 scores late in the 4th running 26 behind raback on first down, heck, the whole season.

The poor guy took a beating in the gibbs running game. Portis a speed back never complained and added 20 pounds instead. But any back running as physical as portis was bound to get injured.

Try carrying a 10lb bag of potatoes at full speed and tell me there isn't a difference.

Carrying a ten lb bag of potatoes would shift the fulcrum to the front center of your body.......( awful analogy sir )

this is an irrelevant point AGAIN because of the overall frame of portis, his power and the fact that gained weight spreads out to predisposed areas. It doesn't clump together like potatoes.

An additional 10 lbs on a man of his characteristics wouldn't drop his 40 time more than 0.05. It isn't a speed issue with portis, it's a lack of holes to run through.......look back to Denver.....portis didn't gain ANY weight in the offseason we acquired him yet he lost a crap ton of YPC that next season, especially if you take off the first carry he ever had as a skin.

---

Problem: The offensive line is not blocking well enough to spring consistent long runs for Portis who is also showing signs of wear and tear in the most physically tasking position in football.

Solution: Spell him with Betts more & draft lineman next season

:co:

Carrying a ten lb bag of potatoes would shift the fulcrum to the front center of your body.......( awful analogy sir )

this is an irrelevant point AGAIN because of the overall frame of portis, his power and the fact that gained weight spreads out to predisposed areas. It doesn't clump together like potatoes.

An additional 10 lbs on a man of his characteristics wouldn't drop his 40 time more than 0.05. It isn't a speed issue with portis, it's a lack of holes to run through.......look back to Denver.....portis didn't gain ANY weight in the offseason we acquired him yet he lost a crap ton of YPC that next season, especially if you take off the first carry he ever had as a skin.

---

Problem: The offensive line is not blocking well enough to spring consistent long runs for Portis who is also showing signs of wear and tear in the most physically tasking position in football.

Solution: Spell him with Betts more & draft lineman next season

:co:

I wasn't making a direct correlation between carrying a bag of potatoes and its impact on speed. Weight, even weight distributed across the body effects performance. I agree that the Oline is a larger contributing factor to the success of a running game but I don't think the weight loss is insignificant. If you watch Portis's runs after he breaks through the line in recent years, more often than not, he appears to struggle sustaining his initial burst or loses balance avoiding tacklers. Shedding some weight while maintaining strength could offer improvement in both areas.

Older back? He is stil 27. Same age as Michael Turner, know one calls him an "old back"

He is two years younger than Westbrook, so why does Portis get called old, and Westbrook is in his prime?

FINALLY someone with some reason!!! CP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This team will live or die on his production, period! HTTR! Hail #26!!!

Portis could gain some quickness, but he'll lose some power... will it work? remains to be seen.

As for those people comparing his age to Michael Turner... Portis is older in terms of football left in him. He's taken more hits, had more carries, and ran more yards... his legs, joints, muscles, tendons, etc. have taken a beating and he's older in that regard...

Portis could lose 10 pounds and just be in better shape I think, I don't think he will lose too much power or gain too much speed though. Obviously 10 less pounds will mean less force if he's the same speed, but if you increase his speed just a little bit too it should even out.

Basically, I'm just saying I think he could be a little bit quicker, which would even out the force he's losing from the 10 pounds. If you think about it, the majority of last year he wasn't taking hard hits at all. He finally figured out how to get the most out of his runs without ending them by getting crushed.

As for those people comparing his age to Michael Turner... Portis is older in terms of football left in him. He's taken more hits, had more carries, and ran more yards... his legs, joints, muscles, tendons, etc. have taken a beating and he's older in that regard...

Portis also came into the league at a very young age, he was a year younger than most people who come into the league. So he has an extra season under his belt, while getting 300+ carries each year.

That being said, I don't think he is on his way out the door, he is still a very effective runner. We do need to start looking at quality back ups though so that he doesn't have 28-30 carries a game.

He won't be any faster, just quicker, more shifty. He will have more ability of sudden turns of direction and he will run like the wind! Which is great IMO. A quicker step, and jukes! Portis is a top back in the league. Could you imagine him behind the GIANTS O-Line last year!!! What are you kidding he would of had a buck 25 every game and 20 plus td's! We gotta build on what we got. We really need to get our line stable. Here's to a solid season and the playoffs!

I don't know... he looked darn pretty fast in that race with Landry last off-season. I think he still has it in him.

Didn't Landry Win that race? Portis 10lbs lighter would help him get a step back...that way he can run away from safties instead of being caught from behind.

Devin Thomas might be the key to Clinton Portis' production in 2009. And, to a lesser extent, Fred Davis. If the Skins can multiply their viable threats in the passing game, that will make Portis' path in the running game that much easier.

...Ten pounds lighter or not.

Archived