Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN NEWS: Portis to lose up to 10 pounds...

heliKCx17

Will losing weight mean more damage and fatigue to Portis's body if the running game remains in the same scheme?

I'd imagine they wouldn't let him lose that weight if they intended to work him as he's been worked in season's passed. I'm also doubtful that he'd be willing to lose the weight himself if he felt like the load was going to be that heavy on him. I trust that the dude knows what he's doing, you should too!

I think it will help him and can certainly make a difference. He did what was asked him "running into a brick wall" bulked up, did the power back thing for Gibbs but that was never how he should have been used. That definitely set him back and took some years off his career though he did exceedingly well in that fashion. He'll never be as fast as he was in Denver but he can be quicker/faster with the lighter weight.

For anyone interested, I just uploaded Clinton Portis - Denver 2003 highlights: http://vimeo.com/4673737

The quality is pretty bad, but you get the idea. The video really picks up around 1:00, but you should watch the whole thing.

I'm no expert evaluator but for all of the people that cry he isn't the same guy he was in Denver..well from watching that I see the same dude really, ..just without the benefit of a talented oline like Denver had and the blocking scheme. sure he was faster then, he was younger.

Portis was never super elusive, but had enough wiggle and change of direction. He never really had total track star blazing speed, but enough top speed to break some big runs. I still see defenders catching him in the Denver vid as they do sometimes now.

Portis has many solid features to his game and skill set, just not tops in any of them. The dude finishes runs, can break big runs, has tremendous heart, and is a helluva blocker. The difference, he's older now, he runs behind an old O line, the scheme doesn't totally suit him here, never really has, he's heavier, and at times I see a guy that is trying to prolong his career and I really can't blame him at this stage. Oh and he played mostly AFC defenses. meh.

Our offense is not a power offense, I don't see a negative to him losing the weight at all, he can perhaps be more better in pass receiving too...

Power offense or not, the quantity of carries is going to take a punishing toll on a frame like his, unless he has another decent Back to share the load.

If it were Brandon Jacobs, I would not be worried. But he's not......so I am.

Older back? He is stil 27. Same age as Michael Turner, know one calls him an "old back"

He is two years younger than Westbrook, so why does Portis get called old, and Westbrook is in his prime?

He's old, due to the punishment he's been taking. They are the same age, but Portis has always been the bulk of our offense. Turner was 2nd string to LT, so he hasn't taken as much punishment as Portis has.

For anyone interested, I just uploaded Clinton Portis - Denver 2003 highlights: http://vimeo.com/4673737

The quality is pretty bad, but you get the idea. The video really picks up around 1:00, but you should watch the whole thing.

Thanks for posting. That vid gets you pumped up with displaying how good a back CP is. Maybe not as fast as the Denver days but I still see the same cuts and burst, at least initially that he displayed then. The zone blocking scheme does suit his running style better but if Zorn opens up the playbook a bit more in year two and CP drops the weight, 1500+ yards would not be unrealistic.

The zone blocking scheme does suit his running style better but if Zorn opens up the playbook a bit more in year two and CP drops the weight, 1500+ yards would not be unrealistic.

So basically it'd be like one of his normal seasons ;)

So basically it'd be like one of his normal seasons ;)

Except that a 'normal' season he had in Denver had him going with 5.5 yards per carry, meaning that he needed less than 300 carries to reach 1500, whereas he needed 340-350 carries to do so here. He has more touchdowns per year from his Denver days.

Hell, not even Terrell Davis had 5.5 yards per carry in the Denver scheme.

you should check out those minicamps pics, he really looks big. I'm all for him losing weight. That being said, I agree that he'll never be as fast as he was in Denver.

ya know, if i am not mistaken he has been reporting to camp with a gut for the past few years but he always loses it.

his style has changed since Denver too. he is more bruiser then speedster.

This is either a yearly "get in shape" kind of thing...

Or it's a hint that Zorn is going to switch to more of a zone scheme this season, as he hinted at towards then end of last season with tons of zone stretches and other like plays versus the Eagles at FedEx among other games.

Nice. I definitely see the same moves, but he's a lot faster and their line opens holes the size of Rosie O'Donnell. He's more of a pounder here.

His body is so beat up anyways from the poor line play last year and Zorn's over-reliance on him that 10 pounds will not matter anyways. He is done, last year was his last productive year ever in D.C.

wow debbie downer. you should really do PR for the Cowboys.:doh:

seriously, who fuels these bs ideas......10 lbs does NOT slow you down......seriously.....we're talkin about a guy who likely squats 600+ lbs......this is bs....

if a pop warner player gained 10 lbs then yes, it may make a difference because that's like 10% of his current weight , not to mention his max squat is likely less than his own body weight lol

this is a dumb idea.....he is a running back, he needs the cushion......

Clinton Portis still has another year or two before we need to find a speed-type back to compliment him. Just because he loses 10 pounds this year doesn't mean he's gonna break down all of a sudden. He knows he's getting up there in carries and he's improving in an area that he knows he lacked last season. I don't see anything wrong with that. He's a complete back for another 2-3 seasons.

Portis doesn't need to worry about being elusive but rather staying healthy. He has taken a beating while he has been here. He doesn't need to change his style he just needs to stay with us the entire season. I think the addition of Mason, Adridge, or Dorsey to replace Betts would help him imensely by not making him carry the load.

seriously, who fuels these bs ideas......10 lbs does NOT slow you down......seriously.....we're talkin about a guy who likely squats 600+ lbs......this is bs....

Depends on what you define as "slow you down." No, it won't make a person who is fast slow but there is likely a difference that could be evident on a football field. Perhaps a 1/2 a step or quicker cut but something. Try carrying a 10lb bag of potatoes at full speed and tell me there isn't a difference.

Archived