Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN NEWS: Portis to lose up to 10 pounds...

heliKCx17

• 1 month later...
his lack of explosion is because he is slower. adding 10 pounds of muscle wouldn't have caused it. Sounds like he just added 10 pounds of whatever it took... beer?

I disagree. Depending on the frame of an athelete there is a certain amount of weight that improves his perfomance and a line in which certain abilities take a hit. When Portis added the 10 pounds+ as a sort of biological suit of armor to withstand the beating of a Joe Gibbs offense he slowed. That was NEVER Portis' game. At his best he was a speed guy with some power. He was never a power guy with some speed which is what the team asked him to become.

Getting back to his natural weight will improve his speed and balance.

I disagree. Depending on the frame of an athelete there is a certain amount of weight that improves his perfomance and a line in which certain abilities take a hit. When Portis added the 10 pounds+ as a sort of biological suit of armor to withstand the beating of a Joe Gibbs offense he slowed. That was NEVER Portis' game. At his best he was a speed guy with some power. He was never a power guy with some speed which is what the team asked him to become.

Getting back to his natural weight will improve his speed and balance.

I would assert that at his age, it's going to be tough to be a speed back. Like I said before I think he's trying to turn back the clock. He's been a good back as a bruising, straight ahead runner. He was amazing as a shifty, pick a hole and explode guy in Denver. Sadly, I think those days are over. Too many miles, too many carries.

I would assert that at his age, it's going to be tough to be a speed back. Like I said before I think he's trying to turn back the clock. He's been a good back as a bruising, straight ahead runner. He was amazing as a shifty, pick a hole and explode guy in Denver. Sadly, I think those days are over. Too many miles, too many carries.

I don't think he'll get all his speed back. He'll be faster than last season. That's about all we can hope for.

if we didn't have CP then who would you'all want to have in here?... L. Johnson, J. Lewis, L. Thomlinson...just asking cause if we are wasting CP who would be a better fit here?

i think their point was that its sad the rest of the offense was never as good

meaning that portis' best years were wasted because due to the rest of the offense being inept

if we didn't have CP then who would you'all want to have in here?... L. Johnson, J. Lewis, L. Thomlinson...just asking cause if we are wasting CP who would be a better fit here?
What StillUnknown said. CP has good numbers here, but had INCREDIBLE numbers in Denver. Only reason the Broncos traded CP to us was: They thought behind that good Denver O-Line, any good RB could rack up the numbers CP did. (They've been futilely looking for another RB to put up CP's numbers ever since :hysterical:)

We, on the other hand, like to run the ball, but haven't had a good passing attack since CP arrived. Take CP's numbers in Denver. Imagine what CP could've done here in a run-first offense if opposing defenses had to respect the pass. With not-ancient O-Linemen that could block consistently at the 2nd level, so CP could reel off runs like his first carry here and many carries in Denver.

I'm glad he's here, but with a mediocre offense, we've kinda wasted an elite RB that others (including Denver now) would kill to have on their team. CP is the kind of RB that could take a decent offense to the Superbowl.

What StillUnknown said. CP has good numbers here, but had INCREDIBLE numbers in Denver. Only reason the Broncos traded CP to us was: They thought behind that good Denver O-Line, any good RB could rack up the numbers CP did. (They've been futilely looking for another RB to put up CP's numbers ever since :hysterical:)

We, on the other hand, like to run the ball, but haven't had a good passing attack since CP arrived. Take CP's numbers in Denver. Imagine what CP could've done here in a run-first offense if opposing defenses had to respect the pass. With not-ancient O-Linemen that could block consistently at the 2nd level, so CP could reel off runs like his first carry here and many carries in Denver.

I'm glad he's here, but with a mediocre offense, we've kinda wasted an elite RB that others (including Denver now) would kill to have on their team. CP is the kind of RB that could take a decent offense to the Superbowl.

I totally agree. CP puts up great numbers even though everyone knows he is the whole offense. We got as CP goes. We're 21-4 when he runs for 100 or more yards. I don't even want to think about how good our offense would be if we had a solid passing game. CP's numbers would prolly be even better.

What?

I don't get it. Who else will run at the goal line?

Hopefully not Ladell Betts. Im still freaking irritated at the memories of seeing Portis kneeling on the sidelines with a WTF look on his face while Betts bumbled away our chance at evening up that Giants game. Also memories of Betts tearing it up from 20 to 20 and then stalling out in the redzone for the most part during 2006. Sellers isnt my favorite goalline runner at the moment either.

its a great idea, but our qb is going to have to perform. if you want the slasher back he wont be able to take the pounding. therefore the defense has to respect the qb so the slasher doesnt have to take the punishing hit from the linebackers up close

I hope this is a sign that Zorn is going to abandon the Gibbs running game. Or at least the philosophy of running portis up inside so much. Portis put on 20 pounds and still would seem to break down over the long grueling season. I really wish Zorn would go pass happy at times, hurry up, shotgun; we were so one dimensional the few times we did it last year. Draw to Portis. Shocker.

Portis needs to be utilized in the open field much more, if even as a receiver. he is a top talent and its wasted trying to make riggo out of him. Portis has been a total stud being that guy for us, but it doesnt take an expert to know that is not where he carved out his niche in this league. He is a finesse back at heart.

I don't know who is pulling who's goober, but this website, the OFFICIAL Redskins website, has Portis listed at 223 pounds.

I understand that some of you are tracking mike Williams weight, and even peek into his bathroom window at night just to watch him get on the scales, but I have heard absolutely NUTHIN about Clinton Portis losing weight since this rediculous article came out.

If he comes to camp at 210 pounds or so, I will believe it when I see it.

Archived