Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reuters: Deadly new flu breaks out in Mexico, U.S.

Taylor4Life

I'll guess I'll be the hypochondriac doomer here...

Someone pointed out the oddity that this virus is afflicting healthy young adults and not infants or the elderly, whereas most flu outbreaks do the opposite.

Well, that would make it very similar to the last worldwide pandemic, Spanish Influenza, which you probably know occurred in 1918 and killed 20-100 million people across the globe. Spanish Flu was notorious for killing those under 65, more than half of whom were between 20-40. Theories surrounding that is that the young and elderly may have had some immunity to it due to their susceptibility to previous flus.

It definately has some similarity to the Spanish flu but the death totals aren't high enough. If a killer that huge was in Mexico City, a city with a massive population, the death tolls would be much higher. The danger is that now that it's made the jump to human to human, it could change again.

It definately has some similarity to the Spanish flu but the death totals aren't high enough. If a killer that huge was in Mexico City, a city with a massive population, the death tolls would be much higher. The danger is that now that it's made the jump to human to human, it could change again.

The Spanish flu did start off as a mild flu though but then came back several months later in a much more severe mutation and the real serious death-tolls started piling up first then. Though some argue that there were some unique circumstances during WW1 that led to the more dangerous mutations (young men cramped in dirty barracks, trucks and ditches spreading the strain back and forth as it mutated). Influenza virus by their nature are very unpredictable so I don't think there's any telling what could happen in terms on how it will continue to transmit and how severe it will be. Just hoping for the best.

Man, I am about as pro immigration as they come and it actually is an issue. Health has always been something we looked at for prospective immigrants for this very reason and folks coming across without being checked is very likely if not an eventuality. Pains me to say it but it's true.

It doesn't travel in the air by itself for more than a couple yards.

While outbreaks are a concern in regards to immigration, it's really the globalization/easy travel/etc. that is a real threat with this type of flu. Hop on a plane and people thousands of miles away are exposed.

It is interesting it is killing the middle group in age...unusual isn't it

Yeah, this is the scary flu that we really need to work to prevent the spread of. This is the same strain as the Spanish flu that wiped out millions and millions of people worldwide.

Problem with this flu is that it attacks those with healthy immune systems. The strain triggers a strong reaction in healthy immune systems causing the manifestation of severe symptoms ultimately killing the individual.

Well, WHO officials are still investigating the actual numbers of people infected with this. Health stat reporting usually isn't that good in the developing world... So we don't know the full impact of this yet.

Ya, I don't know what I was thinking.
You weren't totally off-base, and I wasn't trying to call you out or anything. This immigration thing is a massive, massive problem and it compounds ALL health care issues in this country, which is why it has to be fricking addressed. The big problem is we can't monitor and keep track of these health cases with illegals, well, at least we can't keep track adequately. And they are already hesitant to seek care for health issues, so it makes it basically impossible to identify the flu early and isolate them so the exposure factor is magnified a bazillion times with this demographic.
My roommate just got back from Mexico last week :doh:
Well, if s/he's not exhibiting flu-like symptoms you're good to go. It's not even Mexico you have to worry about anymore, there are cases all over the United States.

It is susceptible to oseltamivir and zanamivir. Calm down, it's treatable.

You are giving a false sense of security claiming it's "treatable" like these antivirals are like antibiotics and can "cure" this strain. That is not the case.

1. These drugs don't cure the virus, they lessen it's effects.

2. To be most effective, the patient needs to start these antivirals within 48 hours of flu symptoms...which is tricky because many people try to tough it out when they first come down with the symptoms and only seek care when things get bad.

3. This virus is already genetically mutated making it particularly virulent. It could mutate again which is very worrisome.

4. Influenza strains A and B are already showing resistance to other antiviral medications, there is fear this could happen in this case.

5. Antiviral drugs are very expensive.

One other thing to consider. The report I read stated that the only people to die from this so far have been in Mexico. The few in the States(at the time) have been treated and are well.

Yeah,prompt medical care and good drugs make it less of a concern here.

You also don't really know if the US cases are exactly the same strain,or just contain part of it.

It's something to keep a eye on ,but not panic over.

It's allergy season here and I bet there are gonna be a flood of people getting checked out.

You weren't totally off-base, and I wasn't trying to call you out or anything. This immigration thing is a massive, massive problem and it compounds ALL health care issues in this country, which is why it has to be fricking addressed. The big problem is we can't monitor and keep track of these health cases with illegals, well, at least we can't keep track adequately. And they are already hesitant to seek care for health issues, so it makes it basically impossible to identify the flu early and isolate them so the exposure factor is magnified a bazillion times with this demographic.

I wasn't taking offense or I would have had a little more to say! :D It's all good.

I'm wondering, because old and young who typically get one seem to be protected to some extent, if getting a regular flu shot is a little more important than usual this year. I usually don't, but the interferon I take for the MS does make my immune system weaker. Thinking maybe it's a good idea this year. Thoughts?

4. Influenza strains A and B are already showing resistance to other antiviral medications, there is fear this could happen in this case.

How long did it take A and B to do that?

I don't think there is much risk of that happening quickly. It isn't like bacteria where you see transmission of DNA from one organism and even species/strain from another.

Oh yeah, this disease is certainly an immigration issue.:hysterical:

"hey, did anybody check the ID on that air born illness"?

Yeah if they come from places where healthcare or sanitation isn't up to speed. Remember the Ebola and Hantavirus scares in NYC and Florida a few years back?

The passengers visited Africa and Eastern Europe.

Archived