Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reuters: Deadly new flu breaks out in Mexico, U.S.

Taylor4Life

I'm one of the few people not allowed to take a flue vaccination.

Worry not, the normal flu vaccination most of us got this past season does not protect against this particular strain of influenza.

I wasn't taking offense or I would have had a little more to say! :D It's all good.

I'm wondering, because old and young who typically get one seem to be protected to some extent, if getting a regular flu shot is a little more important than usual this year. I usually don't, but the interferon I take for the MS does make my immune system weaker. Thinking maybe it's a good idea this year. Thoughts?

Well, you can discuss with your physician his or her thoughts on that as I'm certainly not qualified in that regard. What I do know is that the flu vaccination we normally get each year does not protect against this type of influenza strain.

How long did it take A and B to do that

Good question, I do not know.

There are 4 primary antiviral drugs used to fight influenza. Resistance seems to have developed against the 2 older drugs. However, this swine flu strain appears to be susceptible to the 2 newest antiviral medications (Tamiflu and Relenza).

I know that the government has released part of their emergency stockpile of these 2 medications in preparation for more cases should they present here in the U.S.

I know that Baxter and other companies are collaborating with the WHO and U.S. health agencies in developing a vaccine for this strain of influenza, but of course, that is going to take some time.

***Tastes Like Chicken - As an f/u to your earlier question about viral RNA sequencing, I saw a link to this in my inbox this morning...might give you a little more information. :)

http://www.who.int/csr/disease/swineflu/swineflu_guidance_labs_20090427.pdf

Worry not, the normal flu vaccination most of us got this past season does not protect against this particular strain of influenza.

Well, you can discuss with your physician his or her thoughts on that as I'm certainly not qualified in that regard. What I do know is that the flu vaccination we normally get each year does not protect against this type of influenza strain.

What do you think would explain the non-susceptibility of the young and old? I'd read somewhere that they were more likely to have had a vac for the other versions and somehow this helped them. Just curious, and of course I'll speak with my doc. It's always important that we stay in touch, I even have his cell phone.

What do you think would explain the non-susceptibility of the young and old? I'd read somewhere that they were more likely to have had a vac for the other versions and somehow this helped them. Just curious, and of course I'll speak with my doc.

You know, I'm not positive about anything and I don't want to come off giving the impression that I'm an expert on this, but outbreaks and epidemics like this are my passion in life and emergency preparedness and response in global health is the specific area I am getting my public health degree in.

Anyway, from my understanding, the "normal" influenza strains affect young children, elderly, and immunocompromised patients moreso than healthy adults because their immune system is either underdeveloped (children), breaking down (elderly), or suppressed in immunocompromised patients. Those are the influenza strains we are used to, the ones that take out the "extremes" of the population.

Now, some strains are more virulent (Spanish flu, bird flu outbreak in Asia, and this strain of the swine flu). When healthy people are infected with these highly virulent strains it triggers an immune response...problem is, these type of strains can trigger an overreaction of our immune system called a "cytokine storm" that can be fatal.

So, I don't know if it's so much that the elderly and children are not susceptible, they are still susceptible to infection and death, but with these highly virulent strains, the healthy demographic is extremely susceptible to them.

Right now, authorities are investigating why the swine flu in the U.S. appears to be more mild than the swine flu cases in in Mexico City.

I just realized what you meant by f/u. At first I thought you were not being very nice. :D

What else could it be besides Follow Up? :rolleyes::D

Mexico closing all schools was a smart move and if we could we should close both borders to reduce increasing risk to our neighbors in the land of eh..

My roommate who just got back from Mexico (as previously mentioned in this thread), just informed me that she thinks she's sick. I hope it's just allergies.

Is she running a very high fever?

Throwing up etc?

While CNN seems to be blowing this up, it is important as Slacky mentioned, to stay away from other people until in the clear. You might want to consider doing the same.

My roommate who just got back from Mexico (as previously mentioned in this thread), just informed me that she thinks she's sick. I hope it's just allergies.

How long ago was she in Mexico? How many days?

She needs to be seen by her primary care physician immediately to test for the virus if she thinks she is sick or experiencing symptoms.

As for you, if she honestly thinks she could potentially have this, you need to stay away from her and be extra vigilent with sanitation of surfaces in your house and washing your hands.

Don't panic though, seriously. Just make sure she goes in for medical attention immediately.

I just got back from a briefing on this and it's important medical attention be sought at the first sign of symptoms because that is when the 2 antiviral medications have the most impact, within the first 48 hours. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me or ask in this thread if you want. :)

christ, this thing is going to get out of control.

bank on it

No need to panic. Yes, this is a concerning outbreak we are suveilling, it's not going to help the situation to panic.

Just take precautionary measures that we all should be doing anyway: extensive hand washing, covering yourself when sneezing, etc.

its just the flu...i havent seen anything different about it but that pigs can get it.

What is the Swine Flu?

Swine flu is a general term for flu viruses adapted to pigs. Swine flu can infect humans, most often from a pig to someone handling pigs. It can pass from human to human via coughing, sneezing or touching infected people or surfaces, then touching the mouth, nose or eyes.

What are its symptoms?

Symptoms are similar to regular flu: fever, fatigue, sore throat, cough, poor appetite, body aches and chills. Some people also have nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

What can I do to minimize the risk of contracting Swine Flu?

Cover your mouth when you cough and sneeze.

Use tissues and throw them in the trash.

Wash your hands with soap and water.

Use alcohol- based hand sanitizers.

Avoid sick people.

If you are sick, stay home. (this is crucial to prevent further spread of the infection)

oh man, wash your hands? what a novel idea!!

cover your mouth when you sneeze or cough? BRILLIANT!!

stay home if youre sick? WOW!!

avoid sick people!! That means we cant be friends Slacky.

There was a guy from Texas on the radio this morning who had contracted it and he said it felt no different then a really bad case of the flu.

Finally you do something useful for the board Katie. Well done. :silly:
Screw you beavis.
its just the flu...i havent seen anything different about it but that pigs can get it.

The problem with this virus is that it has already mutated. Right now it is a recombination of swine, avian, and human influenza and can be transferred from human to human.

One thing I found out today is that this virus can mutate extremely quickly, even as quickly from person to person. This can no longer be "contained," so the best thing we can do is take preventatitve measures.

Public health officials are investigating 2 deaths in LA county at the moment they think could be related to this flu. We are waiting for a news conference shortly from the coroner's office.

Heh, another forum I'm on just had a guy post his conspiracy theory:

This is no worse than the normal flu and the government is fueling this whole thing so they can cut down on immigration from Mexico without a backlash.

Sounds plausible. Although I think this is slightly more than some kind of government conspiracy due to the nature of the strain...

so by "mutate" do you mean I could become Wolverine or The Hulk?

SWWEEEEETTT!!!

Now that's a pandemic I could handle...Hugh Jackman's running around everywhere!! Whoot!!

Heh, another forum I'm on just had a guy post his conspiracy theory:

This is no worse than the normal flu and the government is fueling this whole thing so they can cut down on immigration from Mexico without a backlash.

Lol. That's an absurd statement on his part...but then, so are most conspiracy theories.

Archived