Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reuters: Deadly new flu breaks out in Mexico, U.S.

Taylor4Life

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N24524032.htm

Deadly new flu breaks out in Mexico, U.S.

24 Apr 2009 19:43:50 GMT

Source: Reuters

</SPAN>* New mixture of viruses in flu never seen before

* Eight cases found in California and Texas

* WHO says Mexico, U.S. well-equipped to handle outbreak

* No need to change travel plans, say WHO and CDC (Adds eighth case in United States; details)

By Alistair Bell and Noel Randewich

MEXICO CITY, April 24 (Reuters) - A strain of flu never seen before has killed as many as 61 people in Mexico and has spread into the United States, where eight people have been infected but recovered, health officials said on friday.

Mexico's government said at least 16 people have died of the disease in central Mexico and that it may also have been responsible for 45 other deaths.

The World Health Organization said tests showed the virus in 12 of the Mexican patients had the same genetic structure as a new strain of swine flu, designated H1N1, seen in eight people in California and Texas. [nLO274836]

Click on link for rest of article

You know, we've had quite the outbreak of the "regular" flu around here lately. My family has had both the congestion/coughy/sneezy stuff and stomach flu stuff for the last week and a half or so....

And then of course this story comes along and makes ya wonder....

We're a lot more worried about it down here. Really serious and scary ****. My immune system ain't what it used to be because of the meds I take and this is just the sort of thing I have to be really concerned about. It's young people who are dying not infants or old people and that's a very bad indication of the strength of this strain.

Maybe Peter or somebody else has an idea, but how could a strain involving or combining components of swine, avian and human flu come about?

Oh yeah, this disease is certainly an immigration issue.:hysterical:

"hey, did anybody check the ID on that air born illness"?

Man, I am about as pro immigration as they come and it actually is an issue. Health has always been something we looked at for prospective immigrants for this very reason and folks coming across without being checked is very likely if not an eventuality. Pains me to say it but it's true.

It doesn't travel in the air by itself for more than a couple yards.

It is interesting it is killing the middle group in age...unusual isn't it

I'm sure the wife will be at extra risk with all the kids at school

look at the bright side KAO...you probably have a higher risk of getting TB...for now

Yeah, it's kinda freaky. My government office is just about as bad as a school, though not quite. Hope she slips this one.

Imagine going to UTEP where the majority of the student body goes over to Juarez to live, visit family, or to party. :doh:

Just what the doctor prescribed for my hypocondric panic and anxiety disorder. Really hoping that this doesn't go fullblown panic pandemic and that the mild US cases are the norm rather than the exception. Unfortunaly my brain tends to force me into embracing the worst case scenario when it comes to issues like this (fighting urge not to refresh various flu sites every 5 minutes).

I work for the WHO and man right now I have not gotten any sleep in like 36 hours. I am not allowed to talk about this at all but trust me we are working our hardest to figure this out.

Well, that's comforting in a "We're going to have to start incenerating villages before it gets out!!!" sort of way. Thanks for that!

:silly:

Sweet, I wonder how many illegals are going to bring it into the US.

Really annoying how people rush to throw the most vulnerable under the bus. Do you have any idea how much legal human traffic there is between the US and Mexico? Americans vacation there year round and business moves shipments between the two nations nonstop 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

But you're right if the flu spreads it must have been the illegals that did it.

Sweet, I wonder how many illegals are going to bring it into the US.

I live in a border town, and I can tell you that there is a segment of every border town that either lives and/or works in both the US and Mexico. There is a BUTTLOAD of DAILY cross border traffic relating to commerce and jobs right here in San Diego. Don't worry, there is plenty of LEGAL traffic between US and Mexico that will do the job in spreading this virus.

All over message boards everywhere, Mexico haters have come out of the woodworks to express their ignorance. This is not a Mexican issue, this is now a worldwide concern: http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D97PNI383&show_article=1

I'll guess I'll be the hypochondriac doomer here...

Someone pointed out the oddity that this virus is afflicting healthy young adults and not infants or the elderly, whereas most flu outbreaks do the opposite.

Well, that would make it very similar to the last worldwide pandemic, Spanish Influenza, which you probably know occurred in 1918 and killed 20-100 million people across the globe. Spanish Flu was notorious for killing those under 65, more than half of whom were between 20-40. Theories surrounding that is that the young and elderly may have had some immunity to it due to their susceptibility to previous flus.

And for those of you who were breathing a sigh of relief that so far it seems like the cases in the U.S. have been out West...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090426/ap_on_re_us/us_swine_flu_states

NEW YORK – New York City was dealing with a growing public health threat Sunday after tests confirmed that eight students at a private Catholic high school had contracted swine flu. Some of the school's students had visited Mexico on a spring break trip two weeks ago...

Federal health officials said Sunday that 20 cases of swine flu have been reported so far in New York, Ohio, Kansas, Texas and California.

I will say that the good news with the NYC cases is that they appear to be of a less severe strain than the strain currently in Mexico.

Also, it has spread to Canada. That makes 3 countries--the WHO is meeting on Tuesday to assess whether to raise the global pandemic alert.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090426/ap_on_re_au_an/swine_flu_world

Archived