Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reuters: Deadly new flu breaks out in Mexico, U.S.

Taylor4Life

How long ago was she in Mexico? How many days?

She got back from Mexico Wednesday I think. She was there (in Cabo) for more than a week.

I don't really know what flu-symptoms are, so I looked online:

The symptoms of swine flu in people are expected to be similar to the symptoms of regular human seasonal influenza and include fever, lethargy, lack of appetite and coughing. Some people with swine flu also have reported runny nose, sore throat, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

She says she's really tired and lethargic but that is it. She got an allergy shot yesterday and pollen is crazy right now so that could be it, but I told her I would continue to monitor her symptoms!

She got back from Mexico Wednesday I think. She was there (in Cabo) for more than a week.

So far, there are no reported cases from Cabo...however, that doesn't mean everything. Of course she could have been exposed on the airline or whatever.

She says she's really tired and lethargic but that is it. She got an allergy shot yesterday and pollen is crazy right now so that could be it, but I told her I would continue to monitor her symptoms!
The symptoms she describes could certainly be from allergies or an allergy shot as well. Honestly though, I would at least have her call her physician who gave her the allergy shot to find out what his/her recommendation would be regarding possible testing for swine flu or just continued monitoring of her symptoms. Always good to keep the lines of communication with the physician open in situations like this.

Good luck! :)

Between drug cartels, swine flu, and earthquakes - I bet you could get a CHEAP ass vacation to Mexico right now. I bet vacation spots are begging people to come.
My friends are leaving for Cabo tomorrow. I was like allllrighty, good luck with that. :thumbsup:

oh man, wash your hands? what a novel idea!!

cover your mouth when you sneeze or cough? BRILLIANT!!

stay home if youre sick? WOW!!

avoid sick people!! That means we cant be friends Slacky.

There was a guy from Texas on the radio this morning who had contracted it and he said it felt no different then a really bad case of the flu.

washhandscartoon.jpg

http://www.latimes.com/news/custom/showcase/la-sci-flu-death30-2009apr30,0,5890306.story

WASHINGTON -- The CDC says swine flu has killed a 23-month-old child in Texas. It's the first U.S. death in the current outbreak.

The flu death was confirmed Wednesday by Dr. Richard Besser, acting director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In an interview with CNN, he gave no other details about the child.

The regular flu kills people every year too. The media needs to stop sensationalizing this like its the Andromeda Strain.

As of June 19, 2008, 83 deaths associated with laboratory-confirmed influenza infections have occurred among children aged < 18 years during the 2007--08 influenza season that were reported to CDC. These deaths were reported from 33 states (Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Washington, and Wisconsin). Among the 83 cases, the mean and median age was 6.4 years and 5.0 years, respectively; seven children were aged < 6 months, 16 were aged 6--23 months, 18 were aged 2--4 years, and 42 were aged 5--17 years. Of the 79 cases for which the influenza virus type was known, 51 were influenza A viruses, 27 were influenza B viruses, and one had co-infection with influenza A and B viruses.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/weeklyarchives2007-2008/07-08summary.htm

The regular flu kills people every year too. The media needs to stop sensationalizing this like its the Andromeda Strain.

The annual flu kills around 36' date='000 people per year. This is just another 24 hour inormation age hysteria just like everyone thinking this is our worst economy since the depression.[/quote']

The fact that the WHO officially raised its pandemic alert level is a significant indicator of the virulence and likelihood of mutation of this particular virus.

The fact that public health officials have determined that this virus cannot be "contained" means that emphasis needs to be placed on preventative measures. The media is a conduit by which to warn and educate the public.

I think the government and media are doing a fairly decent job in urging people not to panic, but to be concerned and aware. They aren't being irresponsible as was the case with the last major swine influenza scare in 1976.

The fact that the WHO officially raised its pandemic alert level is a significant indicator of the virulence and likelihood of mutation.

The fact that public health officials have determined that this virus cannot be "contained" means that emphasis needs to be placed on preventative measures. The media is a conduit by which to warn and educate the public.

I think the government and media are doing a fairly decent job in urging people not to panic, but to be concerned and aware. They aren't being irresponsible as was the case with the last major swine influenza scare in 1976.

Okay. I trust you since this is "your thing". :)

Okay. I trust you since this is "your thing". :)

Well, I think you raise a very vaild point about media involvement. But from what I've seen from the last big swine flu outbreak in 1976, the coverage of this one is much more appropriate. Have you seen and of the public service announcements from back then? They are so unbelievably irresponsible, they make the current media efforts pale in comparison...

Regular flu has killed thousands since January

By Doug Gross

(CNN) -- There had been no confirmed deaths in the United States related to swine flu as of Tuesday afternoon. But another virus had killed thousands of people since January and is expected to keep killing hundreds of people every week for the rest of the year.

That one? The regular flu.

An outbreak of swine flu that is suspected in more than 150 deaths in Mexico and has sickened dozens of people in the United States and elsewhere has grabbed the attention of a nervous public and of medical officials worried the strain will continue to mutate and spread.

Experts are nervous that, as a new strain, the swine flu will be harder to stop because there aren't any vaccines to fight it.

But even if there are swine-flu deaths outside Mexico -- and medical experts say there very well may be -- the virus would have a long way to go to match the roughly 36,000 deaths that seasonal influenza causes in the United States each year.

"That happens on an annual basis," Dr. Brian Currie said Tuesday. Currie is vice president and medical director at Montefiore Medical Center in Bronx, New York.

Since January, more than 13,000 people have died of complications from seasonal flu, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's weekly report on the causes of death in the nation.

No fewer than 800 flu-related deaths were reported in any week between January 1 and April 18, the most recent week for which figures were available.

The report looks at deaths in the 122 largest cities in the United States.

Worldwide, the annual death toll from the flu is estimated to be between 250,000 and 500,000.

Click on the link for the full article

Archived