Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Post-gazette.com: Steelers backup QB Leftwich in talks with Redskins(M.E.T.)

Hooper

What are you  

17 members have voted

1. 1. What are you

• a lover
    • a hater
    • a casual observer
    • Why do we have to label everything, man. I'm amorphous

What is the point of trying to sign Leftwich? Seriously?

There are already three QB's on the roster and strong cases have been made that each of the three could start. Even if we had an open competition, I don't see there being any room for a fourth QB.

Todd Collins is a Saunders guy. To be kind, he looked bad last preseason. Granted that is expected from someone that has played in one system 10+ years and then has to learn a new one but it is still fact. He may not have progressed much over the season and Zorn may not be comfortable with him in game situations.

Colt Brennan is a fan favorite but has done nothing to prove he can be a starter. He's gotten praise from coaches but so did Durant Brooks and Ryan Plackemier. It's very possible they don't see him as being close to ready yet.

That being said if we sign Byron I see our depth chart being

1)Campbell

2)Leftwich

3)Brennan

Jason Campbell will not be a Redskin very much longer. It doesn't matter how you feel about the guy, the Skins didn't offer him an extension and tried very heavily to trade him. He is done in Washington. My personal opinion is that the Skins will sign Leftwich for this year and move up in the draft to get Sanchez.

I'm kind of agreeing with you, but get this. JC just might be our second round pick after all. Colt, Collins, and Leftwich= open competition. We get a great DE in the first and the center from Penn State in the second. That would make good sense to me.

Collins is a one trick pony, the only reason he did well for that stretch is because he learned that system his whole career lol, I would like signing, if nothing else this would prevent him from killing us every year, hell maybe he can give Campbell a few pointers or push him some more, Byron has some skills, he wasn't drafted in the lottery for nothing and he has TREMENDOUS heart, plus he loves the skins, I see this as a win win situation...

his release looked good in that mugging( that game still angers me) he and his fellow steelers gave the skins
Thats the best I have ever seen Leftwhich get rid of the ball. I have watched alot of his games and most of the time the guy winds up the ball before he throws it.

Interesting move. Could be a threat against all three on the roster. I think Leftwich is viewed more as a backup right not, but I'm pretty sure he's looking to sign with a team that will give him at least a fair shot at grabbing the reins.

Collins is signed through 2013. If we release him this year it will cost us as much as keeping him here (he costs 2.5 million on the 2009 cap and costs 2.5 million to release). I don't see the point in releasing Collins unless we are saying that we want to have Leftwich here now so that if we decide to dump Campbell we have his sucessor already on the staff next offseason. I'm not a believer that Bryon is any good long term but is a capable backup. If Jason Campbell is not the answer next season I don't think Bryon is either.

I don't understand the interest in this move.

Collins was in a Coryell for a thousand years as Trent Green's backup.

It can happen.

You don't have to be a certain type of QB to run the Coryell, a big arm helps but it's not the end all be all. West Coast is 100% predicated on timing, quick passing, and accuracy. Slow release=timing off=more sacks=poor production in a WCO. I've never in my life seen Leftwich execute a 3 step drop, but Campbell doesn't do that very well either so we'll see.

Archived