Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Post-gazette.com: Steelers backup QB Leftwich in talks with Redskins(M.E.T.)

Hooper

What are you  

17 members have voted

1. 1. What are you

• a lover
    • a hater
    • a casual observer
    • Why do we have to label everything, man. I'm amorphous

Was just poking around for 'scoop' on Leftwich and found this:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Education was one way out of the ghetto, but as Byron grew, sports became an increasingly viable option. A football, basketball and baseball star in the youth leagues around the city, he loved watching pro games up-close, even if he didn't have the money to afford a ticket. Byron sometimes snuck into RFK Stadium for Washington Redskins games. He had a friend who worked security at one of the gates, and turned his head when Byron would slip through a narrow slit in the fence. He still laughs at this memory today, especially when he thinks of all the NFL scouts who said he wasn't slim enough to be an NFL quarterback.

Byron got an eyeful at every Skins game he saw. Under Joe Gibbs, Washington was one of the league's powerhouses. His offense was a dream for any quarterback willing to put in the time to master it. Mark Rypien was the guy in charge during Byron's youth. An average athlete with a good arm (but hardly a great one), Rypien went to two Pro Bowls and led the Redskins to a victory in Super Bowl XXVI. No doubt Byron had visions of doing the same some day."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Link

I have to admit, it's pretty neat to think about a guy getting to play for the team he rooted for growing up, kinda "Rudy"-esque.

No matter how you cut it ... it does not make sense. Somebody explain this too me ... I don't think it will happen.

Agreed...and I didn't think I would be saying this but...this off-season is almost making me feel nostalgic for last year's coaching search.

I agree that its a nice story and all but I just dont see him really that much of an upgrade over Campbell IMO. Not in a WCO either.

An upgrade over Campbell? That's not the purpose of this deal.

An upgrade over Collins? Over Brennan? I would say yes to both. He would immediately be #2.

For your viewing pleasure: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usskE9s5neU
I figured that would be mostly highlights of him lighting us up. I have watched him play alot and that is one of the better games I saw him play even under crazy pressure, we were actually getting great pressure that game. Still dont want to see him on the skins though.

I know alot of people hated the burgundy on burgundy but I thought that **** was ****ing hot!! I hope they break it out again this year.

An upgrade over Campbell? That's not the purpose of this deal.

An upgrade over Collins? Over Brennan? I would say yes to both. He would immediately be #2.

If its the Leftwhich I saw play against us with the Steelers then yes its an upgrade. If its the same Leftwhich that has probably the slowest release in the NFL I will pass and stick with what we got. There is a reason no other NFL team has picked him up. He has shown flashes of great potential he has also **** the bed with his slow release. I dont understand why the Steelers dont resign him. You would think winning the game against us would have sealed that deal.

I know Collins is getting up there in age but he looked damn good two years ago helping us get to the playoffs. I just dont see it that big of an upgrade over him. Also I would like to see Colt get alot more playing time in pre-season. I am not all over his nuts like the cult of colt people but that guy showed some great moxy and the ability to make some great plays. He will have a full off-season in the nfl and should know the playbook better now. I would just like to stick with what we got personaly.

I'd offer him a 3 year deal, with a Bit more than vet min, with a healthy roster bonus next year.

Then cut Tod Collins sorry butt in camp, or offer him early retirement.

This is the move I've been waiting for since he became a FA. Not that I think he's better than JC, but I feel good about Byron, Always have.

How many times can you kick Jason Campbell in the nuts in one week?

Gotta root for the hometown heroes, though.... but I'm not sure how Leftwich would fit with our offense? Maybe I'm completely wrong and he has done well in the WCO before, but his style of play doesn't seem like the perfect fit...

Todd Collins is two days younger than dirt,, I'd say it's more a kick in his withered old nuts than JCs.

~Bang

We wouldn't cut Collins, we'd try and get a 6th or 7th or some crap for him. That way we dump his salary.

Trading him would have the same effect as cutting him. We'd still have to pay the remainder of the guaranteed money in his contract. Unless the other team agrees to pick up his bonuses with Collins forfeiting the money that we owe. But that's unlikely.

Which would be $2.5 million. We keep Collins, we pay him $2.5 million. We cut/trade Collins we pay him $2.5 million. No savings by letting him go.

Like others, I don't see Leftwich being a good fit in the WCO. I like him as a QB, but in this scheme? Slow release, limited mobility, some accuracy issues. He handles pressure well and has a good arm, but don't feel he'd be a great fit.

Note though, he signed only 1-year, $640k with $40k SB last year with the Steelers. He shouldn't cost that much, and would be better competition than the 37-year old Collins.

Mark Rypien was the guy in charge during Byron's youth. An average athlete with a good arm (but hardly a great one), Rypien went to two Pro Bowls and led the Redskins to a victory in Super Bowl XXVI. No doubt Byron had visions of doing the same some day."
Two Pro Bowls for an average athlete and a good arm. Amazing what a dominant OLine will do for an average QB.

Someone already said we would basically be paying Collins the same as if he were on the team. Not sure if its true or not.

That was me who said that based off the salary cap numbers here:

http://www.thewarpath.net/WarpathRedskinsCap.htm

Collins costs us 2.5 million for being here in 2009 and 2.5 million is the release fee number. In an answer we don't gain any thing by letting him go.

WOO HOO!!! Leftwich to the SKINS, YAY!!!

Now I'm left wondering what I should be more excited about the injuries or the inconsistent play.

Look up his stats his and JC's are almost idenical and thats with BL having a 2 year head start on JC

BL has 2000 more yards passing and 58 td's to JC's 35. This is not a trade up, this would be a straight trade.

Just because BL is from the D.C. area does not mean this is a smart move. It also does not mean he will all of a sudden become a great QB just because he is home. There is a reason he is no longer in Jacksonville, there is a reason he is a back up, there is a reason no one else wants him.

Dont let the emmotions of the hometown boy coming home cloud the fact that this makes no sence and it will not help.

Umm, didn't Vinny say vet min only after Haynesworth? He may not agree to that. Then again, maybe he'll give a hometown discount.

I don't mind him coming here. Using Zorn's moxie juice to save his career would be awesome.

Vinny also said he didn't want Cutler

Archived