Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Post-gazette.com: Steelers backup QB Leftwich in talks with Redskins(M.E.T.)

Hooper

What are you  

17 members have voted

1. 1. What are you

• a lover
    • a hater
    • a casual observer
    • Why do we have to label everything, man. I'm amorphous

Seriously, that's just dumb. If they do this it signifies that they have no plan and are just signing names, which they've always done under Snyder so I suppose I shouldn't be too suprised.

I disagree. We seemed to target good players this offseason. We needed a corner and got Hall. We needed D-line help and get the best defensive player in FA. We needed Oline help and brought back Dockery. We have a need at QB and went after Cutler. This is the first move that doesn't make sense to me. Financially we are better off dumping Collins next year where we can save money doing that. This year we have no reason to dump him, it doesn't do anything for us. And with the needs on the team if we have the ability to spend a couple million (3-4) on replacing the backup QB spot then we have money to go out and fill another need like kicker, punter, LBer, and Oline.

None of the moves this offseason seems as if we were directionless and just signing people to sign them, imo. The other thought that comes to mind about this today is what if the teams got another team to trade for Jason. Say some team stepped up and offered us a second rounder for Campbell and we want to take it but are looking for a starting QB to replace Jason. Then this would make some sense to do. What doesn't make sense to me is simply replacing Collins with Leftwich for this year alone. Why would we do that? It would stunt the growth of Colt.

i only like this move if it means getting rid of collins. there's no point of having both leftwich and collins. the only thing this could hurt would be colt. i think he is in prime position to be the back up this year, but i dunno what would happen if leftwich is brought in.

Are we talking about leftwich vs collins or leftwich vs campbell?

what about leftwich vs colt? id rather have leftwich than collins, but id rather have colt over leftwich. im just not sold on leftwich being anything other than a back up in this league

If they brought him in I'd be cool with cutting Collins if that saves some cap. He's not in Saunder's system anymore although I still think I may rather have him than Leftwich but Byron's much younger. Regardless, I hope Colt earns the #2 spot.

This would be a great signing if it happens, IMO.

Leftwich's arm strength is up there with any QB in the league. He also has pretty good accuracy. IMO, he only had 1/2 a game in his entire NFL career to show what he's got, and he ****ing toyed around with our 4th ranked defense (IIRC, they were ranked even higher before that game).

He never had any help/weapons around him in Jax and nagging injuries. I was at the '07 Jax-Skins game, and the guy was unbelievable (and for the record, that was one of the few games in recent years that we DID HAVE a consistent pass rush).

The guy is tough as hell, many times stepping up in the face of an oncoming blitzer to throw a great ball to his receivers (Archuleta had a lot of good blitzes in that game, inclduing a sack). And no matter what, the guy just wouldn't give up.

Every time the Skins would score and gain some momentum, he would come right back on the next drive and answer with a score. Even when the game was on the line, he still looked great, including a real nice out-pattern pass (in which he was facing a blitz and had to make a quick throw) to Matt Jones on 4th and 13(IIRC).

On the way back home, I was on the Metro talking to Jags fans, and when talking about Leftwich, they also thought very highly of him, just worried about him being able to stay healthy and on the field.

If he signs with us, I can easily see him impress the coaches enough to earn the starting spot over Campbell, or at the least, put Campbell on a thin rope (Like Ramsey being our "starter" for half of 1 freakin' game :doh: )

Clearly the team doesn't think Colt is near ready.

Leftwich has a slow release but he sees the whole field and makes quick decisions -- two things JC has really struggled with in his career.

I think our FO is a joke, but I like this move. There were times last year where Steeler Fans wanted Tomlin to bench Big Ben for Byron.

They obviously don't think Colt is ready yet. I definitely see Collins being shown the door. I agree that competition is good and prospect of it is very different from being traded. QB's have to face that situation routinely. Specially ones that don't have a record of success to back them.

I agree that the only way this makes sense is if we release Collins. Whats the point of having 2 vets behind Campbell and a 2nd year guy? Collins was good for us in 2007, but thats because he knew that system inside and out. I think Colt looked much better last preseason than Collins. So maybe this signals the end of Collins' run with us.

There is nothing wrong with a little competition.

Collins is too old and Colt ain't ready -- at least the team seems to think so.

If this signing happens, JC is going to have to fight to keep the starting job.

The Washington D.C. native comes home, nice story. The top of our QB depth chart will now sport the two slowest releases in the NFC (NFL?). Awesome! Seriously, though, if he's healthy he can contribute.
I think it would be safe to say NFL, not sure I know of any slower releases out there. Both Byron and Campbell have cannons but it just takes all day for them to get the ball out of the cannon.

My thinking was the there was a Plan B all along if we lost out on the Cutler sweepstakes. This might be it.

With this FO, you never know. Maybe they will try and trade JC on draft day for a draft pick and go into the season with Leftwich and Colt? Maybe we sign Jeff Garcia and give Colt another year to develop and let Leftwich be the backup?

Awesome news. Great signing if it get's done.

The thing is I just recently heard him on the radio and he said he thinks he should start. They were questioning him and amazed nobody was offering him a contract. Well on thing is for sure he torched are asses last year when we knocked out the Berg man.

Archived