Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Do you say "soda," "pop," "Coke," or something else?

#98QBKiller

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Not in Atlanta. :D

It's not supposed to read cola. I've been asked (especially in more rural areas) "What kind of coke do you want?" And the answer could be sprite or whatever. It's weird.

I grew up in Bethesda so definitely soda.

It's the same reason people say they need a Kleenex instead of a "facial tissue", or they need a Band-Aid instead of "adhesive bandage". The first (or first successful) brand becomes the de-facto name of the type of product.

I just went to lunch and realize that i dont say soda. I say what i want by it's brand name. If i want a Coke, i axe for a Coke. If i want a Sprite, I ask for a Sprite, etc etc.

But usually im with Dan. I order beer.

Even then, i order it by the brand name. Give me a guiness barkeep!

I had a table one time ask me "What kind of Coke do you have?"

"Regular and Diet"

"You don't have Sprite?"

"I was unaware that was a type of Coke"

I usually say "Dr. Pepper" if I'm ordering at a restaurant... Or if I'm talking in general, I'll say "I've gotta go to the store for some soda/drinks"

I had a table one time ask me "What kind of Coke do you have?"

"Regular and Diet"

"You don't have Sprite?"

"I was unaware that was a type of Coke"

I usually say "Dr. Pepper" if I'm ordering at a restaurant... Or if I'm talking in general, I'll say "I've gotta go to the store for some soda/drinks"

Coca-Cola actually makes Sprite :silly:

Since I am Canadian, I say "get me a litre of cola."

SuperTroopers-trailer_14.jpg

seriouslly, no one says cola? typically I say pop, or since I dont drink that much on it's own, I just call it "mix". On a side note, Crown Royal Whiskey and Royal Crown (RC) Cola make the best rye&coke drink out there IMO. Coke leaves to much residue, pepsi can be too sweet but the RC cola is just perfect.

I thought those people from canadia said pop? I was just in vancouver last month and they called it that. And all my cousins from Ottawa call it pop also...
Maybe they do, but they certainly don't call their country "canadia."

By the way, why in the hell did the OP leave "soft drink" off the list of choices? I call soft drinks "soft drinks," therefore I have to choose "other"? WTF. :silly:

Anyway, if I had to choose from the available options I'd go with soda (never pop-- that's an abomination)...but I'm pretty sure I always just call them soft drinks.

Almost everyone that I know of calls it pop, but hearing soda isn't out of the ordinary. I have no idea why anyone would say coke though, if you ordered a coke here you would get a Coca Cola and that is it, seeing as that's is what coke is shortened for.

SODA comes from a fountain. That's why it was called a soda fountain and the people who used to dispense it were called soda jerks.

;)

"Soda fountain" and "soda jerk" are derived from "soda," which describes a carbonated soft drink regardless of how it's stored or dispensed. :pokeye:

Witness "water fountains" which dispense water, a substance which also can be stored or dispensed in many different ways. And go to Six Flags America on any summer day and look at the prices for Dasani. You can't tell me they don't have a bunch of &$*%# "water jerks" working there!

Archived