Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Do you say "soda," "pop," "Coke," or something else?

#98QBKiller

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Went from 4th grade to H.S. graduation in N. Virginia. I was in the habbit of saying "coke", but now I alternate between "coke" and "soda". Of course, I also actually mean COKE when I order it. If they have Pepsi, fine. But I'll always ask for Coke. I can't stand it when I hear "pop" here in Colorado.

I'm in the habit of slapping people that say "pop"

Up here in the great white north, we say 'pop'. I've heard 'soda-pop' a few times from the older generation.

Should I try to slap people who say 'soda'? Nah, that would be wrong.

And why "Coke?" Don't people know what pepsi is? Or was that supposed to read 'cola'?

I'm in the habit of slapping people that say "pop"

Amen to that.

Yeah, regional differences, what you grew up with, it's all relative, blah blah. "Pop" sounds ridiculous, particularly in places where few can pronounce the short "o" in a way that sounds natural to anyone from anywhere else... so it ends up sounding like "pap."

That sounds so appetizing. I'll have one pap, please.

I went to WVU and everyone from there said pop.

They also call knit hats toboggans, so I dont put any stock in their crazy ass dialect. :D

My wife kills me on toboggan all the time..I learned to start calling them toques (sounds like tokes)....

I use pop and soda interchangeably. It makes sense right? I mean it is soda pop, right?

Another term that I grew up saying (since my parents were from WV) was calling shopping carts - buggies.

:silly:

When I was in the Army, I made a soda run one day. Most of us drank Mountain Dew, including this one guy, but when I asked him if he wanted anything, he said a Coke. I brought him a Coke and he started ****in' up a storm. "Coke is a brand name" was my argument.

I've had similar arguments about Crescent and adjustable wrenches. Crescent is a brand name, nobody backs me up on that one though. Nobody but the facts.

And why "Coke?" Don't people know what pepsi is? Or was that supposed to read 'cola'?

Not in Atlanta. :D

It's not supposed to read cola. I've been asked (especially in more rural areas) "What kind of coke do you want?" And the answer could be sprite or whatever. It's weird.

I grew up in Bethesda so definitely soda.

Archived