Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How Does It Feel to MEET a Redskin?

Thinking Skins

Depended on my age, the player's status and our interaction. Played catch with Joey T. but back in the mid-70s, thrilling for a little boy but Joe was not yet the Joe we remember. I've worked with a couple who where on the SB teams but after the initial thrill, we just had a work relationship. Ran into Ken Harvey at the book store in Reston and at a hardware store where we were both doing regular stuff. Russ Grimm did some of his Christmas shopping in the mall I worked at when I was in college. Joe Gibbs and family (rarely saw Joe) went to the same church I did. I've rarely run into Redskins doing Redskin things.

My company hired Brad Johnson and Tim Brown for the 2001 Super Bowl in Tampa. I had the opportunity to hang out with Brad Johnson and his wife for an hour or so on SB Sunday. At the time, Johnson was a FA. He was still with the Skins, but would shortly sign with TB. We mainly talked about Tarpon fishing in the Gulf of Mexico. Some folks asked Johnson whether he was going to re-sign with Washington and he was very evasive in his responses. I knew then that he wasn't staying in DC. It was good talking to Johnson, but T. Brown was much more interesting.

Back in 2001 my seat got selected during the Skins/Bears game and I won a trip for 2 to the next Skins game which was an away game in New Orleans. Won flight, tickets, and hotel for 2. Ended up giving it to my parents as a Christmas present since my Dad is a huge Skins fan and I already had plans for that weekend. They stayed at the team hotel. My Dad was in the hotel lobby when the team arrived. He got to ride up on the elevator with Marty and talk to Lavar for a few minutes. He said Lavar told him he had never been to New Orleans before and that he was pissed that the team wouldn't let him play in the game since he was recovering from a nagging injury. Gotta love that attitude by Lavar.

Last summer i got to meet Randy Thomas and talk to him at training camp he was real cool I talked to him about when his cookbook would come out he said he hadn't started it yet bc the fans would be mad he wasn't focused on football....Santana was cool too but he flirted with my wife...the coolest is freaking Chief Z I know hes not a player but that man is the coolest ever...

I've met Coach Gibbs twice....It was an unreal experience...It was better than expected. He had just goten off a plane and looked like he just woke up. He singed a poster for me, took a picture, and even got my address so he could send me an autographed book which arrived about a month later...I met Golston last year at the Coca Cola 600..Also very nice and took a picture with me......I guess you kinda expect them to be nice and do whatever you ask them to b/c we pour our hearts and souls into the team....but you know they get kinda tired of it at times....

I met CP at Disney's Wide World of Sports. I was working there at the time and they were filming "Battle of the Gridiron Stars" and CP had just finished the obstacle course, so I went over there and met him. Pretty cool guy. Not a Redskin, but I also meet Joe Jerivious (spelling ?) that night. Really cool guy, he was a free agent that year and I really wanted him to sign with the Redskins, but a few days later he was a brown. Oh well.

They put on their pants the same way I do. I really don't think it's all that amazing or incredible. They are just people.

I've met several skins out and about and its always nice to say hello and chat, but I've never had some awesome experience and gotten to party with them or anything like that.

In fact one time I saw CP at Tattoo in DC and he ignored ANY MAN that walked up to him and said hello. The women sat around begging for the one to be taken home that night. It was amusing , but I don't blame him for blowing off the guys. You should have seen the talent there that night, ha

I was in the same vicinity as Chris Samuels and Bruce Smith one night at SkyBar overlooking the Va Beach oceanfront. My friends were all pushing me to meet them, but i never want to bother them because they get approached all the time.

Anyway, they went up to them and told them I was a huge fan, so I walked over there and met them both and told Samuels good luck this season. He was big, but he had a small head.

I got to hang out in the players lot after the browns game last yr. and Shaun Suisham is the coolest guy ever, talked for awhile about bs. Phillip Daniels and Andre Carter were also great.

I hang out to get autographs after every game I go to (one game for the past three yrs)and M Washington is always the best for sticking around and signing stuff. For a coach Blache is the best with fans that I've met, although I wish I could have met Gibbs... guess I'll have to go watch some Nascar to fufill that one!

Met #28 on the Spirit of Washington for some charity thing he was doing in like 98 - True A-hole

Saw Art Monk after a Zards game one time and chatted with him for a bit - Now that guy is class.

Almost forgot that I met Gus back in Frostburg while he was biking back to his dorm, he was a very cool guy.

I have met a few skins players. I met Landry when he was in the mall that I work in doing an autograph signing. I got a picture with him and talked to him about jordans(i work at a finishline). I also met Colt after the first preseason game. I must say, that he is a very nice guy. He was the last out to the parking lot and about 40 people had stayed to try and get his autograph. He came out and security told him that he had to go which made most of the people waiting mad, so he went to his car put his bags up and came back and talked/signed stuff for every person out there waiting. Got him to sign a Dallas Sucks shirt(which he found funny).I also have been played xbox live with Horton and Kareem Moore. They are two down to earth funny guys.

Met a ton of guys over the years. I don't really count training camp because it's just such a mob scene that you can't judge someone by that though as an autograph seeker I get frustrated by that.

Nicest current players are probably Andre Carter, Renaldo Wynn (welcome back), Jason Campbell, Ledell Betts, Chris Horton and London Fletcher.

But my favorites of all time are Gary Clark, Jim Lachey and Marcus Washington. Just as nice as they come and love to talk football and tell stories

And of course my one encounter with Sean Taylor at the atuograph show in 2007 when I was expect a disinterested person and what I got was a joyous expect with Sean kidding with me about wearing a Riggins jersey and a high five.

Met Marcus washington,Chris horton,Reed doughty,and EX skin Matt sinclair at Training camp on fan appreciation day they were all pretty cool and deffinitly Marcus he said it was Bs when they said the had meetings that day. Also met Laron Landry in Inwood WV he is an cool dude and big lol.:dallasuck

Met Joe Jacoby as he was cruising the tailgating at the final game at RFK. Shook his hand, looked at his (huge) SB rings, etc. Seemed like a nice guy, even though he towered over me. It felt "fun" (for lack of a better word) to meet him in person. Not life altering, but definitely a high point of my "Redskins life".

I've had the chance to meet a lot of guys, and I actually got to cover as a member of the media; and had the chance to talk to a lot of guys, and even though thats a different animal in itself, I've never had a "bad experience", Portis always seems very to himself ,which isnt bad or rude, but doesnt really respond to many people...

But the one experience(where I met most of my guys) was before the Tampa game in 2005 (Allstot disaster) I had the chance to get those on the field passes before the game, I ran around like a kid in a candy store, and got to say hello to a bunch of guys and Portis & Moss autographed my pass.... but I was just standing there and over a ways was Sean Taylor... and like someone else posted, I expected him to be totally disinterested and not give anyone the time of day...and he was my favorite player back than as well, so I didnt really want to say hello, have him stone me and not like him for that.... however, my buddy had his jersey on and he looked over to us and we were just staring at him and walks up and goes "Hey whats up? I'm Sean", shook everyones hand, we talked for about 3 minutes or so, just asked us where we were from/talked about the U a little bit.... still really breaks my heart what happened there....what an experience..

Cooley, Marcus Washington, Samuels, Dockery (1st go round), Antwan Randal El, Sellers all were great... I mean I'm sure theres some complete pricks, but I have not run into any of them yet...

I mean, the Taylor experience was really cool, and a story I'll tell forever...but I was never really "star struck" by any of these guys. I dont know why, but I just felt like I was meeting someone for the first time. Its cool, though.

I rode the elevator with clinton portis in his first year as a redskin. My dad and I where staying at the same hotel the players where staying at for the game, it was the baltimore night game back in 04 i believe.

When I got in the elevator I was completely star-struck, and cp knew it too, and he looked at me and chuckled and said 'whats up'. Later in the ride he opened up the playbook he was holding and showed it to me and said, 'you this play, im going to run this tonight right past ray lewis'. We got off and he signed my room-key which I have since framed. It was awesome! :cool2:.

I also talked to lavar a little, b/c he was by himself with his gf, and I shook coach gibbs hand and said goodluck

That has to be the coolest thing that has happened to me with someone famous, let alone with the redskins.

I was one of the last passengers on a plane leaving Dulles (I was on the "bump" list and they held me back 'til the last minute) and Chip Lohmiller came out of the VIP lounge and boarded just before me. We were headed to - of all places - Minneapolis (which is where he's from). It was right after the 'skins had cut him, so I didn't want to bother him. When I caught up with my wife, I told her he was on the plane. She wanted his autograph; I didn't want to bother him, but during the flight, he came down the aisle to use the restroom, so I pointed him out to my wife, and on his return to his seat, she stopped him and asked for his autograph, which he was kind enough to give. I made sure (ahead of time) that she wished him good luck in finding another team, and she remembered. I think he caught on with New Orleans and/or St. Louis (it's been a while - so I can't remember), but didn't last long.

FYI, (for the younger generation, in case you haven't heard of him), Chip Lohmiller was a kicker for 'skins in the late '80's/early 90's. He knew how to tackle, too - kind of surprising for a kicker. We've not had a kicker (I'm talking accuracy and dependability) like him since then.

It is pretty cool...Had dinner with quite a few of the players after the Rams game. In the players lot they have an all you can eat BBQ buffet in their tent. I grabbed some grub and took a seat. Alot of the players were just hanging out with various family members just talking and eating. They had the 4pm game on the TV sets and the Cowboys were playing. All of them were especially disgusted watching them play and some defenders wanted to get a shot a Romo sits to pee because he is a whiny punk...according to them. I sat with Daniels and Griff and their family. Fletch was one table over with Carter. Samuels was with his family in one corner. Monty had a huge batch of family who drive up for home games in a big old school conversion van.

I just chilled and talked football with Daniels and Griff. I think they thought I was a relative of somebody because I didn't ask for anything. For me just hanging out was cool for me. I see why the D had it together...those guys relate well and are of the same mold. The offensive guys kinda just did their own thing and just took off as soon as they got to the lot. I chatted with Kelly and I think he got a bum deal with that knee it sucks for him because the guy is smart and very personable. He likes how he lives in the sticks in VA because it can keep guys around home and to not be tempted to roll out into DC. He said he was not for the City life and liked the peace and quiet.

Overall it was great time and I just blended into the environment. The guys do B-day parties with the kids and support the others families with charitable events. It was nice being just a fly on the wall to just soak up the conversations.

Ok, so I was there too, and had that exact same experience.
Met #28 on the Spirit of Washington for some charity thing he was doing in like 98 - True A-hole

Care to elaborate?

I remember when I was a kid and got a chance to ask for DG's autograph at one training camp....not the best experience of my life.

I remember I used to carry a grudge with me against him because of that. But I've heard stories from others where they've seen him in a different setting and said he's a cool guy who signed autographs and took pictures.

I can't believe that I forgot this, but back in 1999 (early 2000), when the Super Bowl was at the Georgia Dome, I got to work for the NFL. I remember I got the chance to go to a few NFL parties and meet some people high up in the NFL. That was back when Casserly was my role model and I had dreams of becoming a GM the same way he did.

Archived