Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How Does It Feel to MEET a Redskin?

Thinking Skins

I'm not sure if this is a "call out" thread or not, and if it is, I apologize.

I know I've read about people here who get to hang out with certain Redskins, and some get to actually interview the Redskins, but I'm just wondering what it feels like to be sitting there next to a Washington Redskins player? And if you've had a chance to meet one of your childhood heroes (Sunny, Joe T., Joe G., Art, Darrell, etc.) what was that like? And when I say "meet", I'm talking about the training camp experience too, but I really want to know how people contain themselves when they're told they're gonna be on the Redskins sideline taking photos or interviewing one of these players.

Attended 2004 training camp.

Spoke with L. Coles, C. Griffin (and got autographs)

Really enjoyed talking to Rashad Bauman- we talked about the weather at training camp not a word about football except a "good luck on the season" at the end.

The highlight was meeting Buges......the guy is so high energy and seemed more glad to see the fans and be at TC than anybody else there. It made the trip from the ES of Maryland to Ashburn worth it just to see and talk to Buges.

Of course my friend met Sean Taylor that day........I didn't.

Never met a player, but I have Horton on my friends list. He responded to a message I sent him which was pretty cool.

Some people may not like this, but as much as I disagree with JLC, I once sent him an email and I was happy that he responded. Its one thing to comment on his articles and have him respond to that, but I sent him an actual message and was able to have a little converstaion with the dude. He's a decent guy.

But nah, I've never had a chance to 'meet' a player either. I've gotten a autographs though. The last one I got was JC in training camp in 2007. I remember running over a crowd of people to get him to sign my seat cushion. Now that thing's hanging on my wall.

Some people may not like this, but as much as I disagree with JLC, I once sent him an email and I was happy that he responded. Its one thing to comment on his articles and have him respond to that, but I sent him an actual message and was able to have a little converstaion with the dude. He's a decent guy.

But nah, I've never had a chance to 'meet' a player either. I've gotten a autographs though. The last one I got was JC in training camp in 2007. I remember running over a crowd of people to get him to sign my seat cushion. Now that thing's hanging on my wall.

TS,

also Dan Steinberg (DC Sports Bog) and Bram Weinstein (when he was here on 980/Redskins Radio) reply to emails pretty quick. I think both replied to my emails with 20 minutes after I sent mine.

TS,

also Dan Steinberg (DC Sports Bog) and Bram Weinstein (when he was here on 980/Redskins Radio) reply to emails pretty quick. I think both replied to my emails with 20 minutes after I sent mine.

yeah, I emailed JLC and he responded back really quick as did Matt Terl.

Terl sent a nice long reply too, I was really happy.

I ice grilled Shawn Springs in the mall. He ice grilled me back.

In reality I saw him in the mall and I said to myself "Damn, that dude looks just like Wayne Brady and his girl is fine." As I tried to make out who it was, I had that look on my face like i was thinking hard, almost squinting. So it looked like I was mean mugging him hard. So he saw that, and ice grilled me right back. It wasnt until I passed him when I was like "Damn, thats Springs, I didnt mean to have a stare-down with him."

The above is a true story

TS,

Bram was always quick and gracious enough to respond to any mail.

I kinda' miss that dude. Never afraid to tell it exactly like it was, he was the perfect leveller to Larry's homerism.

Hail.

I haven't really gotten to "hang out" within one. I have stayed after the games to get autographs. I've chatted a little bit about the game with Marcus Washington, Joe Salavea(sp?), Chris Cooley, and James Thrash. Nothing to write home about. But for me, IT WAS PRETTY AWESOME!

I would love to go over "X's and O's" with some players though.

Meet and uhmmm, "greet" huh velocet? ;)

Hail.

As much as possible :D

Hey, this is oddball, but props on

WorldBowlILogo.png

the Monarchs and Stan Gelbaugh for that championship. That plus the 'Skins dominance of the same year must have been kickass for you.

I liked what I saw of the WLAF and NFL Europe.

Back to the topic: If just seeing a player around somewhere randomly counts, well I don't recall ever seeing any 'Skins players but I did spot Gheorghe Muresan once in a store in Odenton, Maryland. Tall is a curiously underwhelming descriptor for the guy.

velocet

Working in the Tyson's mall I tend to see and meet a decent amount of them.

Once you get past the nostalgia stage you realize that most players are used to getting those "looks" and "I'm a huge fan" approaches. It's because of that most just give typical PR responses.

Overall I've found that Colt Brennan and Rocky Mac to be the most down to Earth that I've met.

Also the most "family oriented" guys that I've met would be the old guys like Mann and Monk, but also some others like Springs, Dockery and even Ramsey.

Most awkward meeting I've had was definitely Brandon Lloyd.

Those are the only ones I've met off the top of my head.

I ice grilled Shawn Springs in the mall. He ice grilled me back.

In reality I saw him in the mall and I said to myself "Damn, that dude looks just like Wayne Brady and his girl is fine." As I tried to make out who it was, I had that look on my face like i was thinking hard, almost squinting. So it looked like I was mean mugging him hard. So he saw that, and ice grilled me right back. It wasnt until I passed him when I was like "Damn, thats Springs, I didnt mean to have a stare-down with him."

The above is a true story

Ice grilled?:whoknows:

I had the opportunity to meet a few of them. Devin Thomas, Philip Daniels, D-Hall and Colt were all EXTREMELY Nice. Portis seemed nice too, but was mauled by people. Jason Taylor seemed like an arrogant pr!ck, and Cooley, although I love the guy, seemed a little arrogant himself.

EDIT: Oh yeah... and SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT. Flashy as they come, but still an incredibly nice guy. He has that Mr. Clean smile that sparkles. lol

I met around 10 players at a bowling alley near Redskins Park. Happened to be in Washington for work and we had a stupid event at a bowling alley. A bunch of Redskins had the 2 lanes next to ours. I got a picture with Santana and one with Lloyd. Santana was a very nice guy.

Well the Redskins I met was at the Arizona game in 2007, first ever game too. I tried to met Jon Jansen but that dude is a true prick omg he dissed me. Ray Brown freaking dissed me man. I am not joking I was polite and stuff and he diss me. All I wanted was a picture with him. He said ok give me two mins with these fans and I said ok sure no problem. After he was done he looked at me and walked off. He looked directly at me man. I hate that jerk. I would never freaking diss anybody like that. LOL I find it funny but boy he was a jerk.

I've met a few players, and have had differing experiences each time. I guess my answer to the question is: "it varies". Some times its like wow, that was really cool and down to earth. And some times you realize that a guy is just an azzhat. I've met a player (HOF Redskin, who I won't name because I don't want to get bashed up for it), and he totally turned me off. Some times its cool, and some times its dissapointing. But its still better than not meeting a Redskin :)

I met around 10 players at a bowling alley near Redskins Park. Happened to be in Washington for work and we had a stupid event at a bowling alley. A bunch of Redskins had the 2 lanes next to ours. I got a picture with Santana and one with Lloyd. Santana was a very nice guy.

Bowl America on Drainesville Rd? I saw Ladell Betts in there a couple months ago. Very approachable. Took pictures with us, and later "friended" us on Facebook. Great guy.

BTW, for any facebookers out there, Fred Smoot's pretty active and will 'friend' you if you send him a request. His pics and status updates are pretty funny.

Archived