Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sky News:Mexico Blames US Over Drug Crime And Murders

heyholetsgogrant

Mexico Blames US Over Drug Crime And Murders

2:57pm UK, Friday March 06, 2009

Mexico's president has pointed the finger for his country's struggle against violent drug cartels squarely at the US.

President Felipe Calderon was hitting back at accusations his government was failing the fight as the number of murders soar and become increasingly gruesome.

Most of those killed are members of the feuding cartels or police officers, while the demand for cocaine and other illegal drugs north of the border continues.

Mr Calderon said the US should take a hard look at itself before blaming anyone else.

"The main cause of the problems associated with organised crime is having the world's biggest consumer next to us," he said.

"Drug trafficking in the United States is fuelled by the phenomenon of corruption on the part of the American authorities," he added, calling on President Barack Obama to step up the fight against drugs in his own country.

President Calderon admitted some Mexican officials had helped cartels but urged America to consider how many of its officials have been implicated.

"It is not an exclusively Mexican problem, it is a common problem between Mexico and the United States," he said.

Although cocaine is largely produced in South America, Mexican cartels control much of the multi-billion-dollar trade, transporting the drug to consumers in the US.

Source: Sky News

Full Article Click Here:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Mexico-President-Felipe-Calderon-Blames-US-Corruption-For-Fuelling-Drug-Trade/Article/200903115236153?lpos=World_News_Second_Home_Page_Article_Teaser_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15236153_Mexico_President_Felipe_Calderon_Blames_US_Corruption_For_Fuelling_Drug_Trade

:hysterical: How about you enforce your side of the border...

He is totally right. Not because of "corruption" on this side of the border, but because of DEMAND on this side of the border.

Prohibition is a failure, just like it was in the 1920s. The opportunity for enourmous illegal profits creates crime.

This time the gangsters are destroying Mexico and Miami and South L.A. rather than Al Capone's Chicago, but its the same old stupid story.

I certainly agree demand is the problem, not that those corrupt idiots care or are gonna change.

You can apply that to the Mexican officials or the US buyers...whatever floats your boat.

He is totally right. Not because of "corruption" on this side of the border, but because of DEMAND on this side of the border.

Prohibition is a failure, just like it was in the 1920s. The opportunity for enourmous illegal profits creates crime.

This time the gangsters are destroying Mexico and Miami and South L.A. rather than Al Capone's Chicago, but its the same old stupid story.

I agree with you to a point about the drug war. Legalize pot by all means. Coke? Heavier drugs? No. Not IMO. But pot is less harmful than alcohol, it would put a nice dent in the smugglers business, and free up a ton of prison space for more serious offenders.

However he did blame corruption. And that is total BS. Not that there is none but it's hardly a factor.

Just my 2¢

Calderon is 100% spot-on, and denying it isn't going to fix anything. The prison industrial complex and the scope of the illegal drug industry is bigger then most might know, but this is as much our government's fault as it is Mexico's. If we don't get serious and work together on this matter, it will only get worse.

Too much money is being wasted locking up people with possesion while the sources are cutting peoples' heads off on the other side of the border, and now, inside of ours.

Calderon is 100% spot-on, and denying it isn't going to fix anything. The prison industrial complex and the scope of the illegal drug industry is bigger then most might know, but this is as much our government's fault as it is Mexico's. If we don't get serious and work together on this matter, it will only get worse.

Too much money is being wasted locking up people with possesion while the sources are cutting peoples' heads off on the other side of the border, and now, inside of ours.

I don't want to start a huge fight, but whether you like the law or not it is the law PLUS you are fueling the people that are cutting off people's heads.

Shouldn't that combination of things be good incentive to not do it? Why does the "prison industrial complex" get the blame and not the stupid people breaking the law and helping to fuel the the people cutting off other people's heads?

I don't want to start a huge fight, but whether you like the law or not it is the law PLUS you are fueling the people that are cutting off people's heads.

Shouldn't that combination of things be good incentive to not do it? Why does the "prison industrial complex" get the blame and not the stupid people breaking the law and helping to fuel the the people cutting off other people's heads?

Well if you are buying clothes, then more than likely you are fueling child labor. People want pot and Mexicans are growing it. There's killings for oil and diamonds and you probably have bought both in your life, but how often do you hear about Sierra Leone? Now granted, each is legal, but do you NEED diamonds? No. Not all diamonds are "blood" diamonds, but I bet 95% of people do not even ask when buying.

That was the same argument made in favor of alcohol prohibition. Didn't change the reality that everyone broke the law.

Public policy should be based on what works or doesn't work, not on placing blame. Prohibition doesn't work.

I read, that if marijuana was made legal, the state of California would make 1 billion a year off the taxing of it. I do not know if this is true or not, but if people are paying 60.00 for an eighth of an ounce--I am sure they will make a killing. Plus the DEA could focus on harder drugs, cops could deal with bigger problems, you would free up $$ from judicial procedures, and you would make it safe [by not risking lacing] if you buy it from the government.

That was the same argument made in favor of alcohol prohibition. Didn't change the reality that everyone broke the law.

Public policy should be based on what works or doesn't work, not on placing blame. Prohibition doesn't work.

I have never got what makes alcohol legal and weed illegal? I think it has to do with lobbyists. You can't tell me if weed was made legal the alcohol and tobacco industries wouldn't be hurt. The marijuana backers do not have the $$ to persuade politicians to vote against it. Even if marijuana is illegal for the rest of my life, I hope to see industrial hemp, but then that would put cotton out of business:doh:

I have never got what makes alcohol legal and weed illegal? I think it has to do with lobbyists. You can't tell me if weed was made legal the alcohol and tobacco industries wouldn't be hurt. The marijuana backers do not have the $$ to persuade politicians to vote against it. Even if marijuana is illegal for the rest of my life, I hope to see industrial hemp, but then that would put cotton out of business:doh:
http://blogs.salon.com/0002762/stories/2003/12/22/whyIsMarijuanaIllegal.html

Well, I wasn't talking about policy, but assignment of blame, but since you commented:

1. So we are destined to have policy set by the weakest and most stupid members of society?

2. Prohibition is a poor comparision because it took something that was legal and therefor had a place in society and made it illegal w/o dealing with its role in society. Pre and post-prohibition violent drug crime was a minimal issue in this country for decades. The better question is to ask what changed (i.e. the better comparision and really contrast, is why is now different than decades before prohibition, the 40's, 50's, and really much of the 60's with respect to drug use and violent crime).

3. Let's say we legalize X, Y, and Z. Is there any reason to believe that other drugs (or whatever else) aren't going to be the new problem?

4. I'll agree their is a problem, but you seemed to have settled on a solution. Why is your solution correct? Maybe the correct solution deals w/ better law enforcement, punishment, and rehibilitation.

Because, at the end of the day, you're using the word "should." I'm using the word "is." As in, no matter how you want to evaluate the guiding principles of American morals, the reality is that millions and millions and millions of people smoke pot, and nothing is going to change that.

Now, you could say the same about other drugs, but at least with other drugs, a more substantial argument can be made that their availability directly harms people who don't use them. To say the same with pot is absurd. And, like someone else said, at least legalizing pot would make a dent. It wouldn't solve everything, but a dent is a dent.

In terms of arguments, I actually see this as very similar to an argument for communism - not the idiotic "two percent more taxes turns us into North Korea" protests proposed by Republicans who are a little too caught up in their own party, but real, honest-to-God communism. In theory, it should work. From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs. Sounds great. But the reality is that human interference simply makes such a strategy impossible.

Same thing goes for legalization. You can make endless arguments about how things should be, I won't even say that you're wrong. Honestly, you're probably right. But that doesn't mean that your interpretation will change how things actually are. And reality tells me that legalization of ultimately tame substances is long, long overdue.

exactly...it was all poltical. Here is a good quote from that article that really sums it up.

Harry Anslinger got some additional help from William Randolf Hearst, owner of a huge chain of newspapers. Hearst had lots of reasons to help. First, he hated Mexicans. Second, he had invested heavily in the timber industry to support his newspaper chain and didn't want to see the development of hemp paper in competition. Third, he had lost 800,000 acres of timberland to Pancho Villa, so he hated Mexicans. Fourth, telling lurid lies about Mexicans (and the devil marijuana weed causing violence) sold newspapers, making him rich.

Hearst and Anslinger were then supported by Dupont chemical company and various pharmaceutical companies in the effort to outlaw cannabis. Dupont had patented nylon, and wanted hemp removed as competition. The pharmaceutical companies could neither identify nor standardize cannabis dosages, and besides, with cannabis, folks could grow their own medicine and not have to purchase it from large companies.

This all set the stage for... The Marijuana Tax Act of 1937.

Well, I wasn't talking about policy, but assignment of blame, but since you commented:

1. So we are destined to have policy set by the weakest and most stupid members of society?

Nope. Set policy based on real world understanding of what actually happens when you set that policy. If it doesn't work, adjust the policy.

2. Prohibition is a poor comparision because it took something that was legal and therefor had a place in society and made it illegal w/o dealing with its role in society. Pre and post-prohibition violent drug crime was a minimal issue in this country for decades. The better question is to ask what changed (i.e. the better comparision and really contrast, is why is now different than decades before prohibition, the 40's, 50's, and really much of the 60's with respect to drug use and violent crime).

Its a a good historical comparison, if not a perfect one. Perfect comparisons are rather hard to come by.

I am not qualified to explain all of the reasons why violent crime has risen with regard to drugs, but I suspect it is precisely because law enforcement has cracked down ever harder over the years, which makes the prohibited drug ever more valuable on the black market, which raises the illegal profits that can be made from it, which raises the criminal interest in those profits and the willingness to use violence to get them. You didn't make a big profit on illegal drugs when the only users were broke hippies.

3. Let's say we legalize X, Y, and Z. Is there any reason to believe that other drugs (or whatever else) aren't going to be the new problem?

We are not without any ability to investigate such questions. For example, what has been the experience in other westernized countries that have decriminalized/legalized some drugs?

4. I'll agree their is a problem, but you seemed to have settled on a solution. Why is your solution correct? Maybe the correct solution deals w/ better law enforcement, punishment, and rehibilitation.

I think we have three quarters of a century of data to work with already. And again, I think the same argument could be made (and was made) with regard to alcohol prohibition.

Archived