Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How do you select the pro teams you root for?

Larry Brown #43

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

with the exception of the redskins, who have always been my team regardless of where "home" is...

i cheer for hometown teams, though i have kept some minor loyalties to previous hometown teams. those past loyalties slowly fade. i enjoy being caught up in local teams that are doing well... flyers and sixers were doing well when i was in philly; USC football, UCLA basketball, and lakers were doing well when i was in socal; and now the caps.

growing up in PA: PSU, orioles

living in ohio: OSU

living in philly: flyers, phillies, sixers

living in san diego: chargers (after the skins, of course), padres, lakers, USC football, UCLA basketball (i know one of the players through a buddy of mine)

living in VA: nats, caps, wizards... though i'll still root for the padres and lakers

I root for the Skins, Orioles, UNC, Florida St, and I guess the Lakers. Skins and Orioles because they are the hometown teams and I grew up going to and watching their games since I was around 5. The Heels, one of the first college bball games I watched was UNC against UMD. My parents were both UMD graduates, so of course I rooted for the Heels just to be different. I've been following them since the days of Wallace, Stackhouse (who when I was little thought had the coolest last name), Jamison, and Carter. I root fot FSU football because when I was little I thought they were the Redskins too since they had the spear on their helmet, sounds dumb I know. I root for the Lakers because I like Kobe Bryant. I don't really have a favorite NBA team, just favorite players like Kobe, Vince Carter, AI, Dirk, to name a few.

and I don't really care too much if people disagree, it's the way it is, and it is the way it should be. If you want to bandwagon or cherry pick your teams, that's perfectly possible, but it's unethical because it is disloyal to your home.

Rooting for the home team is the essence of all sports. If that isn't your logic, I brand you a bandwagon fan. :2cents:

One is only a bandwagoner if one flip-flops around. Myself, I've been with the same team in each major sport for 20+ years, thick and thin (a lot of thin in there). I'm not really a big fan of where I'm from. I'm glad you dig your place of birth or whatever, but Ohio didn't do it for me.

I am mostly a home town fan.

I root for the Redskins, Capitals and the U of Maryland, but I also root for the Baltimore Orioles.

The reason I am an O's fan goes back to when I was a Senators fan back in the 60's, but when the Senators left town to become the Texas Rangers there were no more team to root for anymore, so I became an O's fan.

Now that DC has a baseball team again (Nats) I still am a O's fan because I just can't turn my back on a team that I have rooted for for over 35 years.

I am a fan of the teams/players I was interested in as a kid. I never was a homer since most homers I saw, made me sick, show up in droves when they are winning, never around when the team is losing. Although I will always love my hometown Hamilton tiger Cats of the CFL. Labour Day game is something I never try to miss.

I liked Doug Williams, Art Monk, Gary Clark and D. Green, hence I am a skins fan. I also liked Hardy Nickerson so I am an occasional Bucs fan (only once the Skins are out of the playoffs)

I liked Tony Gwynn so I am a Padres fan.

I liked Dominique Wilkins so I was a Hawks fan- then they traded him to the clippers and I could care less, became a Knicks fan (good run of Ewing, Oakley, Starks, L Johnson etc.) and then after Toronto got it's own team, i slowly became a Raptors fan.

Even though I am Canadian, I couldn't give a crap about hockey since the NHL is probably the biggest joke of a league I have ever seen.

Was raised on the Redskins, so obviously I love them :) Just so happens that they are also my "hometown" team.

As far as baseball is concerned, the Braves are my team bc of the many years I spent going to Richmond Braves games. I don't mind rooting for the Nationals though...not that it really matters :silly:. But in a matchup I will always take the Braves.

For hockey I'll root for the Caps bc they're my "hometown" team.

I don't follow NBA, but I guess go Wizards? Do they still even play basketball??

Rooting for the home team is the essence of all sports. If that isn't your logic, I brand you a bandwagon fan. :2cents:

When you grow up a military brat moving every 3 years or so (including stints overseas) "home team" is loosely defined. I started following football when I was 9 years old while we were at Andrews. I followed basketball in the 80's while in Germany, and I found myself rooting for Robert Parish and the Celts. Baseball didn't interest me until college and I started following the braves while I attended the University of Georgia.

So yeah, I always root for the home teams. :)

Five brothers. None of us could root for the same team. Nobody in the house rooted for the Redskins when I was young and the Redskins were winning so I latched on (I was on the Eastern Shore of MD).

My younger brother got behind the Orioles in 1983. I took the White Sox.

To this day, I'm a Redskins and White Sox fan.

I root for the Redskins because it is a family thing. My mom's family was born and group up around DC. It is just a way of life.

I root for the Chicago Whitesox because of Frank Thomas. I liked him coming out of college, Auburn. He went to the Whitesox so my support fallowed.

When I watched hockey I rooted for the Vancouver Canucks. The reason was simple, I liked Pavel Bure and he played there. So there you go.

I root for Florida State in the NCAA. I wanted to go to school there when I was growing up. I wanted to be an architect and they have a really good architect school. So I started paying attention to their sports and there you have it. I also root for Fresno State becasue that is where my brother went to school, again a family thing.

And basketball, I don't care for. Not in the least little bit. So I don't root for anyone on that front.

Home teams always. So its D.C. teams for me minus the Nats, growing up I had to pick between O's and the Braves and Dale Murphy won me over. After rooting for the Braves for 25 years I couldn't switch. I tried but I just couldn't.

So for me its:

Skins

Caps

United

Wizards

Braves

UVA

Some people strictly root for their hometown teams. Others are all over the map. For example, some guy might be a fan of the Miami Heat, Boston Red Sox, Detroit Red Wings and Dallas Cowboys, all at the same time.

I'm always fascinated by this second group of fan. I wonder how they are able to manufacture allegiances to teams they seem to randomly pick out of a hat. (Or maybe they have solid reasons for picking these teams?)

Personally, I'm a fan of the DC teams--Skins, Caps, Nats...and if I had to pick an NBA team, I'd go with the Wizards.

So how do you go about selecting the teams you root for?

I have no regional alliances whatsoever. The best explanation I can come up with is that @ a VERY young age I latched on to a team from each sport that was really good at the time. That is how I became a fan of the Redskins, A's, and Bulls. As for how these ties lasted through the yrs - and a lot of terrible seasons, your guess is as good as mine. My theory is that bonds formed as a child and the memories made are simply stronger than those later in life. Ever since Gibbs left the first time, I have had people ask me why in the world I was a Redskin fan. Why don't you root for the Browns, Bears, Colts....etc?? I really can't explain it I guess -- it's kind of like when you fall for a girl none of your friends like.....you love who you love, simple as that. I would actually argue that - in some ways - I am even more hardcore of a fan than many around DC because i have stuck it out my whole life - all alone - and never strayed.

:logo:

:point2sky

One is only a bandwagoner if one flip-flops around. Myself, I've been with the same team in each major sport for 20+ years, thick and thin (a lot of thin in there). I'm not really a big fan of where I'm from. I'm glad you dig your place of birth or whatever, but Ohio didn't do it for me.

well this is true, tenacity deserves a lot of credit

I grew up in Ohio, so if I was an Ohio homer it would have been Browns and Reds or Bungles and Indians. I hate all those teams. I suppose all of us in my family go against the grain somewhat. I love the Redskins because my parents loved them. Other teams are Utah Jazz in basketball, NY Rangers in hockey, NY Mets in baseball. The Rangers are my parents' fault again. The Mets were because I liked their colors when I was a kid and I latched onto Howard Johnson as a player I admired. I tried to be a KC fan first, but then Bo quit/got injured, George Brett retired, and their FO gutted the roster, leaving me no decent players to root for. I'm a Jazz fan for the same two reason as ANYBODY who was a Utah fan from the mid-eighties on: Stockton and Malone. Head and shoulders above any other big-man little-man tandem. I loved how they played the game. The guys there now are no slouches, either. The only "home" team I root for would be Ohio State, and that's more their football team; college hoops-wise I'm partial to Kansas.

Our backgrounds sound very similar -- except I hate osu and was always smiling when MJ stuck it to the mailman.

As far as the Skins go....we're almost identical

I root for the Skins and Wizards because grew up in Arlington, I can't imagine being a fan of any other team. It's also nice to see the Nats and Caps win even though I do like football and basketball more.

I didn't have a college team growing up, I always thought that if I don't attend a school, I have no reason to like them.

But now I'm a Mountaineer. :)

When I was a little kid in Iran they showed football on TV once in while during the Shah days. I loved Indians when I was a kid because they were the bad guys in movies at that time. When I saw the big guys hitting each other in the Skins uniform, I said that is my team.

Moved to LA in 1980 and have been a fan since then. My dad got me a dish in 84 or 85, I have never missed a game since. I always told myself I would get season tickets when I got older. I had dream seats for 5 years when I worked for a dot com and saw every Skins home game for 3 or 4 years in the late 1990's travelling from LA. I was convinced we'd win it all when we hired Marty. I made plans to go to 16 games that year. We started 0-5 and that was the year 9-11 happened, so travelling wasn't much fun for a while. I have had 4 upper levels for a few years now, but I am not renewing this year. Not enough movement toward better seats.

Otherwise, I am a local supporter. I went to UCLA so they are next after the Skins then the Lakers.

I was born and raised in Dallas. I am a fan of the Cowboys (duh), Mavs, Stars, and Rangers. The one pro team I cheer for outside of the area is the Atlanta Braves. That came from always being able to watch them on TBS as a little kid, before they even started winning the pennant all the time.

I was born and raised in Dallas. I am a fan of the Cowboys (duh), Mavs, Stars, and Rangers. The one pro team I cheer for outside of the area is the Atlanta Braves. That came from always being able to watch them on TBS as a little kid, before they even started winning the pennant all the time.

I knew you had to have a touch of good taste rp!! lol

(braves)

Archived