Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How do you select the pro teams you root for?

Larry Brown #43

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Some people strictly root for their hometown teams. Others are all over the map. For example, some guy might be a fan of the Miami Heat, Boston Red Sox, Detroit Red Wings and Dallas Cowboys, all at the same time.

I'm always fascinated by this second group of fan. I wonder how they are able to manufacture allegiances to teams they seem to randomly pick out of a hat. (Or maybe they have solid reasons for picking these teams?)

Personally, I'm a fan of the DC teams--Skins, Caps, Nats...and if I had to pick an NBA team, I'd go with the Wizards.

So how do you go about selecting the teams you root for?

I was born a Redskins fan - it was the only sport my family was fanatically into.

For basketball, my dad and I used to watch the Heat a lot down here and I grew up watching them.....

Hockey, I saw a hot girl wearing a Blackhawks jersey at an ice skating rink when I was 8 and I was hooked - I got an Amonte jersey when I was 11 and still wear it to this day.

Baseball - a Braves fan since '93 when the Marlins started up down here. I rooted for them because a kid I was going on a field trip on during summer camp was trash talking the Marlins and saying how cool the Braves were.

....in sports other than football, I root for Washington teams and teams down here as well, just not primarily.

I've picked my teams based on seeing them first. Back in 1992, I remember seeing the Skins playing Buffalo in the SB and I was for some reason drawn to the Skins logo. Been a fan ever since. Same as the Lakers in the NBA and Sooners in college football. Only sport I'm a "homer" in is college basketball. I'm a Memphis fan.

I grew up on the Skins and Orioles, and have really grown a great appreciation for the Caps over the last few year.

Skins - Born and raised, my uncle who i'm very close to is possibly one of the biggest contributors to this.

Orioles - LOVED the O's back when it was Cal Ripken Jr, Brady Anderson, Eddie Murray and so on. Mostly because i TRULY loved how they played the game. When Cal left, i kinda stopped rooting for the O's, and the owner has really left a bad taste in my mouth. I root for the Nats but not nearly like i root for the Skins/Caps

home teams if not some deep emotional root

aka, home teams

though I don't follow hockey or pro b-ball much, caps and wizards fan

redskins fan obviously, orioles fan as there was no washington team, soft spot for nationals as my family were big senators fans, i have some autographed programs and whatnot from their existence

duke in college, that came from my stepdad, I was 4 then.. I only lived 1.5 hours from there during over half my life as well

I grew up on the Skins and Orioles, and have really grown a great appreciation for the Caps over the last few year.

Skins - Born and raised, my uncle who i'm very close to is possibly one of the biggest contributors to this.

Orioles - LOVED the O's back when it was Cal Ripken Jr, Brady Anderson, Eddie Murray and so on. Mostly because i TRULY loved how they played the game. When Cal left, i kinda stopped rooting for the O's, and the owner has really left a bad taste in my mouth. I root for the Nats but not nearly like i root for the Skins/Caps

you kinda said it for me bro

Skins- When the Colts left Batimore, my dad became a Skins fan. I started watching NFL then and became a Skins fan too.

Penguins- Mario and Jagr were fun to watch and I like the actual Penguin bird.

Penn State football- Home state team.

UNC basketball- I dunno, I just always rooted for them. I was a kid, they were in the tournament and I started rooting for them.

I don't follow baseball anymore, but I grew up an Orioles fan (they're the closest). When I was in the Army, I was stationed in Hawaii, no Orioles games on TV out there. A bunch of my buddies were Braves fans and they would come on TBS so I started following them. A few years ago, the Stuporstation decided to stop airing them, so I haven't seen them since. I'll watch an O's game every now and then, but I don't keep up with stats or standings.

I HATE all Philly teams, that's the closest Pa city, but Baltimore is closer.

To this day, that is my all-time favorite playoff series. I don't know what made it so good, but I looked forward to every game and every one was great. And it did make it better when the Mavs lost..lol
The crowds in Golden State were college-like.

Washington, Nats, Caps, Os (I rooted for them first), Wizards, Red Sox (because I despise the yankees)

I am a hometown fan through and through, my dad got me hooked on the redskins, and now I am more fanatical about them than he is, but it's cool as **** to shoot the breeze about the skins after their games.

Archived