Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Chimp's owner calls vicious mauling 'freak thing'

Zguy28

Chimp's owner calls vicious mauling 'freak thing'

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jvlkKth37Fp__GL6KYdl2b1s6dBgD96E0ATG0

STAMFORD, Conn. (AP) — The owner of a 200-pound chimpanzee that viciously mauled a Stamford woman calls the incident "a freak thing," but says her pet was not a "horrible" animal.

Sandra Herold told NBC's "Today Show" in an interview aired Wednesday that Travis, her 14-year-old chimpanzee, was like a son to her.

Police shot and killed the animal after it attacked Herold's friend, 55-year-old Charla Nash. Nash remained hospitalized in critical condition early Wednesday with major injuries to her face and hands.

Herold tried to save her friend by stabbing the chimp with a butcher knife and bludgeoning it with a shovel.

She says she "did what I had to do," but that she will miss Travis for the rest of her life.

What the ...? Some people don't realize that chimps are dangerous animals.

Why the Stamford Chimp Attacked

By Bryan Walsh

Feb. 18, 2009

The ferocious attack by a chimpanzee of a woman in Stamford, Conn., on Feb. 16 wasn't a question of if, but when.

The 200-lb. chimp named Travis, whose owner, Sandra Herold, 70, raised as part of her own family, had no history of violence — aside from one incident in 2003 when he escaped and stopped traffic in Stamford for hours. But when Charla Nash, 55, a friend of Herold's, came to visit on Monday afternoon, Travis suddenly lashed out at her. The 14-year-old chimpanzee latched onto Nash's face and tore it apart. (See pictures of animals facing extinction.)

The victim's injuries were reportedly gruesome; the head paramedic who treated her on the scene told the New York Times that he had "never seen anything this dramatic on a living patient." Nash remains in extremely critical condition. The chimp was shot dead by a police officer, who was also attacked.

But even as investigators try to figure out exactly what triggered Travis's attack (he had been suffering from Lyme disease, which in rare cases is linked to psychotic behavior), the reality is that a chimpanzee living among people is simply a ticking time bomb. No matter how many years it has lived peacefully as a pet, a chimpanzee is not a domesticated animal and can snap without warning. "They are wild animals, and all wild animals are potentially dangerous," says Colleen McCann, a primatologist with the Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) and New York's Bronx Zoo. "They are not pets. This is tragic, but it's not surprising."

Click on the link for the full article

BTW, as a kid in Virginia, I had a neighbor who had a bunch of different types of monkeys. His back porch was converted into a cage. One day there were a dozen cop cars on front of his house and a team from the zoo. Turns out the crazy bastage got drunk with one of his monkeys and it went crazy. The damn thing ripped his shlong off. I remember watching them wheel the guy out of the house and the white sheet was soaked in blood around his crotch.

There a lesson for us all... Monkeys are NOT happy drunks.

BTW, as a kid in Virginia, I had a neighbor who had a bunch of different types of monkeys. His back porch was converted into a cage. One day there were a dozen cop cars on front of his house and a team from the zoo. Turns out the crazy bastage got drunk with one of his monkeys and it went crazy. The damn thing ripped his shlong off. I remember watching them wheel the guy out of the house and the white sheet was soaked in blood around his crotch.

stop lying...:D

There's got to be a "Chimp walks into a bar" joke in there, somewhere.

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/a-chimp-walks-into-a-bar/3882091006

A chimp walks into a bar... and orders a pint of Tennants. The barman serves up his pint so the Chimps hands over a tenner and the barman passes hi a quid back before trying to strike up conversation; "We don't get many chimps in here" he says to which the chimp replies "No wonder at £9 a pint!"

wait till you hear the audio of the 911 call from the owner of the chimp.

she was hysterical. "He killed my friend, and now he's going to attack me".

Police office at the scene, "we'd better get this one out of here, he doesn't have a face". talking about the victim, who was actually still alive. :rubeyes:

Police office at the scene, "we'd better get this one out of here, he doesn't have a face". talking about the victim, who was actually still alive. :rubeyes:

where did you hear the audio?

Yeah, I heard clips of it on the radio this morning. You can hear the owner screaming "it ripped her face off!"

where did you hear the audio?

It's pretty disturbing.

EDIT: That's not the full audio cause some of what I heard this morning (on the radio as well) was her talking about trying to stab the chimp and it just making him more pissed off and crazy. Look at the size of that thing in the video. That **** would DESTROY a pitbull. It wouldn't even be close.

Archived