Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

No more XBOX 360, I broke up with my XBOX 360 today (XBOX 360 can go to hell)

heyholetsgogrant

We have all three.

xbox360 is the main 'serious' gaming platform because of Live. wii is getting more action. PS3 is our bluray player and we have one game for it (Resistance 2) which came with the initial purchase as a bundle.

We've now had the 360 platform for more than three years. We've had the RROD a couple of times but Microsoft has shipped a new one at no cost to us within a week or so. Given the amount of play it has had, conservatively thousands of hours (gamer score over 30,000), if the 360 failed again and wasn't covered I think we've more than had our money's worth and would get another one.

Live was over-rated, slow, and filled with advertisements, hardly an experience. My best friend has a PS3, and it so polished, refined, and reliable (you cant even hear the thing running). The year extra in development made a quality system.

Live was over-rated, slow, and filled with advertisements, hardly an experience.

Our experience is 180 degrees from that.

The purpose of Live is to have an integrated way of multi-player gaming with your friends across all xbox360 titles. It's easy to see what your friends have, what they are playing, their progress, set up matches and invite others to participate. etc. etc. Live accomplishes that extremely well.

I don't even understand your comment about advertisements. If you hang out on the marketplace I guess you might see ads, but why would you do that?

Mass Effect

Gears of War 1 & 2

Halo 3

Halo War

Left for Dead

Condemned

Fable 2

Splinter Cell Double Agent

Ninja Gaiden II

I will admit the exclusives for 360 are nice and game breaking, but Ps3 has some nice ones as well.

I'll give you Gears of War (sorta), and Left for Dead (but my PC L4D > 360 L4D). Halo 3 is the most overhyped and overrated game I have ever played. I will never understand the fanboyism for that game. NG: II wasn't as good as NG: Sigma on the PS3. I liked Fable 2 but I thought it was way too short. I'd take Folklore over Fable any day. I can't comment on Condemned as I've never played the series. Splinter Cell was good but nothing earth shattering.

Get ready for this. While I did go through a RROD on my Xbox 360. (my replacment has been fine for a year) My PS3 that I barely touch died one night I was watching a blu-ray movie and I had to drop 150 bucks to repair it. I also have two other friends that had the same thing happen to their ps3. My advice is to stick with the 360 at least you get a 3 year warranty. PS3s are 150 bucks a pop to fix after 90 days.

Get ready for this. While I did go through a RROD on my Xbox 360. (my replacment has been fine for a year) My PS3 that I barely touch died one night I was watching a blu-ray movie and I had to drop 150 bucks to repair it. I also have two other friends that had the same thing happen to their ps3. My advice is to stick with the 360 at least you get a 3 year warranty. PS3s are 150 bucks a pop to fix after 90 days.

No system is perfect....but do you really want to get into a failure rate discussion and proceed to endorse the 360?:silly:

No system is perfect....but do you really want to get into a failure rate discussion and proceed to endorse the 360?:silly:

XBOX is a bust when it comes to reliability best thing to do is get a best buy replacement plan. ps3 is just as risky and is twice as expensive as the superior xbox.

XBOX is a bust when it comes to reliability best thing to do is get a best buy replacement plan. ps3 is just as risky and is twice as expensive as the superior xbox.

Really? The PS3 is just as risky? Yeah ok.

And you see guys? The new microchip in the 360 is money. You just need to buy a new 360 and you're good to go.

Lmao. Talk about being hustled.

XBOX has a far superior lineup sorry bud. Besides, the new XBOX's with the new microchips don't break down.
New Xbox Consoles Still have High Failure Rate Compared To PS3 and Wii

January 20, 2008 | Filed under Microsoft News, Xbox 360 | ShareThis

New Xbox Consoles Still have High Failure Rate Compared To PS3 and Wii

Gaming site 8bitjoystick have apparently scored an exclusive interview with an Xbox 360 designer. In the tell-all interview, the designer spoke about the console’s stability. He also revealed that, shockingly, the new generation of Xbox 360’s still have a pretty high failure rate compared to it’s rivals the Nintendo Wii and PS3.

Q: How much more reliable are the current generation of Xbox 360 than the previous designs? Original Xenon, Zypher and Falcon.

I’ve heard that the failure rates for the current design is sub 10%. Much much better, but still too high imho. And those designs haven’t seen much life yet, so no one knows if that failure rate will hold.

So, it seems that the Xbox 360 is still the least reliable console out there. What do you think Xbox fans? Are you annoyed that the new, smaller and cooler-chipped consoles still have a failure rate of 10%?

Source:Product Review

http://www.product-reviews.net/2008/01/20/new-xbox-consoles-still-have-high-failure-rate-compared-to-ps3-and-wii/

Failure Rates: Xbox 360 16%, Nintendo Wii 3%, Sony PS3 3%

February 14, 2008 | Filed under Gaming | ShareThis

Failure Rates: Xbox 360 16%, Nintendo Wii 3%, Sony PS3 3%

As we all know there has been a lot of press about the 360 red ring of death problem and It has been said that the company estimates pinned it at a fairly normal 3%, while some retailers have put the percentage as high as 1/3 of all systems.

SquareTrade deals in selling warranties for electronics, and has amassed their over 1000 warranty purchases to come up with some interesting data.

The findings were a 16.4% failure rate of Xbox 360 systems, versus a roughly 3% rate for the Sony PlayStation 3 or the Nintendo Wii with sample sizes in the high hundreds. The well-known “Red Ring of Death” error accounted for about 60% of those hardware failures, and thus most system-breaking problems are covered by Microsoft’s extended warranty plan.

Source: Product reviews

http://www.product-reviews.net/2008/02/14/failure-rates-xbox-360-16-nintendo-wii-3-sony-ps3-3/

Response to rate of failure

In the early months after the console's launch, Microsoft stated that the Xbox 360's failure rate was within the consumer electronics industry's typical 3% to 5%.[6][7][8][9] Nevertheless, Microsoft has not released their official statistics on the failure rate of the various versions of the console; the company's press relations policy is to focus on the prompt resolution of any technical problems.[10]

On July 5, 2007, the Vice-President of Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment Business division published an open letter recognizing the console's problems, as well as announcing a three-year warranty extension for every Xbox 360 console that experiences the "general hardware failure" indicated by three flashing red LEDs on the console.[11]

A source that has been identified as a team leader and key architect in the creation of the Xbox and Xbox 360 and a founding member of the Xbox team[12][13] provided insight as to the high rate of failures. The interviews suggest that Xbox 360 units that fail early in their life do so because of problems in the system design, parts supply, material reliability, and manufacturing issues as well as a system not tolerant to faults. These issues were alleged to be the end results of the decisions of management in Microsoft's Xbox team and inadequate testing resources prior to the console's release. A second source cited that, at one time, there was just a 32% yield of one of the test production runs. 68 of every 100 test units were found to be defective.[14][15]

In February 2008, during the Game Developers Conference 2008, Microsoft announced that the "Failure rate has officially dropped", but without mentioning any specifics[16]. The same month an examination of 1040 Xbox 360s by SquareTrade found a 16.4% (one in six) failure rate; 171 were "disabled", of these 171 units 60% failed due to a general hardware failure (and thus fell under the 3 year extended warranty) of the remaining 40%, not covered by the extended warranty, 18% were disc read errors, 13% were video card failures, 13% were hard drive freezes, 10% were power issues and 7% were disc tray malfunctions.[17][18]. However SquareTrade also admits that their estimates are likely much lower than reality due to the time span of the sample (six to ten months) and the eventual failure of many consoles that did not fail within this time span.

On October 17, 2008 a class action lawsuit was filed in California against Microsoft over the RROD problem. [4]

Source: Wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_technical_problems

There is other problems with the XBOX, including bad power supplies and DVD drive problems...It's not just the chip, although the failure rate has improved. However, it is still not within the industry standard of 3-5%.

-Grant

wow, knock on wood, but i have had my xbox360 for almost 3 years and no RROD
The Dutch consumerprogram Kassa continues the story on the scratching XBox. The second test is to see if placed stable, the XBox scratches discs. Microsoft says "no", but Kassa discoveres "yes"

The Dutch consumerprogram Kassa continues the story on the scratching XBox. The second test is to see if placed stable, the XBox scratches discs. Microsoft admits that scratches can occur at normal...

These tests are stunning. Click the link for the videos, they have English subtitles.

-Grant

I've had a 360 since July 07 (bought used, so manufactured April 06). I haven't had any problems with it. Maybe frozen up twice in all the time I owned it, but simple restart and then worked fine. I have 18 Xbox 360 games.

I got a PS3 in April 08 mainly for its Blu-ray ability. It's frozen up 5-6 times. Again, reboot and back to normal. I have 1 PS3 game, and 40+ Blu-rays.

I know about all the problems affecting the Xbox 360, but to me it's actually been the more stable system. But neither have caused any serious problems. Main thing I've done is to make sure the components have plenty of space, as it seems overheating is one of the main causes of the RROD.

I prefer the 360 over the PS3 overall.

wow, knock on wood, but i have had my xbox360 for almost 3 years and no RROD

Ditto With the knock on wood. Not trying to jinx myself but I have an original 360 from launch and have had zero problems with it. Admittedly lately I've been playing downloads that are stored on the hard-drive which won't stress the disc drive (However that isn't the specific reason- the real reason is that Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix owns all).

And as a rule I never play any DVD's on it (or any other system)- in my opinion that just adds time of wear on the drive, any system will eventually wear out through constant usage.

I also know the fan isn't all that great so I'll shut it down after a couple of hours, as the thing does heat up. But that's fine because I really shouldn't be playing more than two hours straight anyways.

I'm on my 3rd 360 in 4 years. My 1st gen 360 lasted for almost 3yrs than one of my buddies got the rrod. I lol'd than I got mine and I lol'd some more. Since than I have had bad luck with the 360's. Now I got a pre-owned 360 from gamestop and I purchased the $20 year warranty so every 8 months i will give the 360 a minor problem and trade for another one and continue this until a new system comes out. That is my pattern so I don't wait weeks for another one from the xbox support crew.

Archived