Workout Thread II

PleaseBlitz

Poll: Geographic Breakdown of Ravens Hating  

438 members have voted

1. 1. Poll: Geographic Breakdown of Ravens Hating

• I'm from DC and I hate the Ravens
    • I'm from DC and I'm (kinda) cool with the Ravens
    • I'm from MD and I hate the Ravens
    • I'm from MD and I'm (kinda) cool with the Ravens. I may even LIKE the Ravens.
    • I'm from VA and I hate the Ravens
    • I'm from VA and I'm (kinda) cool with the Ravens
    • I'm a Skins fan with no ties to the area and I hate the Ravens
    • I'm a Skins fan with no ties to the area and I am ok with the Ravens

Just finished my 3rd day of p90x, and my whole body hurts (in a good way). I actually play basketball for two hours tonight, and I may not get off the floor the whole time. Yoga tomorrow for the first time, should be interesting...

I highly recommend people try it. Time is the biggest factor (most workouts are at least an hour), but I haven't felt like this since football summer camps. I'm actually excited to workout everyday... but that may wear off.

Question for people who do it at home... any creative ways to do the pull up exercises without a pull up bar?

You can find it at mininova.org, torrents are your friend...

Question for people who do it at home... any creative ways to do the pull up exercises without a pull up bar?

There is some contraption you can buy for your door that imitates the movements/muscle use for a pull up. It's meant for doors that don't have a strong enough molding to support a proper chin up bar. If you do some google searches you should be able to find it. I dunno what to do if you don't even have a doorway though, perhaps someone else can offer ideas.

Also I heard a lady talking about P90X at Five Guys of all places the other day. She was saying she had just started it (clearly NOT following the diet plan) and explaining to her friend how the whole thing is based on muscle confusion. Then she just exclaimed "Well honey, my muscles are CONFUSED!" It was pretty funny :silly:

It's kettlebEll. :) I hope you didn't get one of those little 10 lb vinyl covered ones. For a dude you really need at least a 35lb KB to start and if you're in decent shape, a 53lb.

It is a ball though :silly:

It's a smaller one and right now I'm using it to make my pushups more difficult. I'll be upgrading when some money comes in.

Today will be Day 41 of P90x :point2sky

I'm down 15 lbs. since the start of the year and I'm improving in everything daily. The thing that has me the most excited is that when I started out, 3 pushups was basically my limit. Pathetic, I know. Now I can knock out 20 without an issue and can get to about 30 before feeling my limit.

X me! :D

I had a great workout yesterday with the free-weights, one of those days where you just feel exceptionally strong. Wonder what causes that? I swear I'll keep the same routines and eating patterns but some days I'm just able to fling the weights around like crazy. :whoknows:

Anywho, I plan on doing 40 minutes on the elliptical tonight.

Down to 257 from 270 New Year's Weekend, and definitely noticing a difference in the mirror. Working out three nights a week, hitting all major muscle groups.

Working in different types of push-ups seems to be really helping my chest, and one-leg squats and box jumps really work my cardio as well as help my legs a lot. When I get back to DC in June, I plan on switching back to kettlebell, as hopefully my core will be stronger.

Did an easy paced ten mile run on the W&OD trial yesterday, but picked up the pace for the last couple of miles for a nice progression.

Will do a gentle seven with the kid today, although he'll refuse to run at my slow pace.

God, I miss running. I haven't had the money for running shoes in a while and have had to use the elliptical.

There is some contraption you can buy for your door that imitates the movements/muscle use for a pull up. It's meant for doors that don't have a strong enough molding to support a proper chin up bar. If you do some google searches you should be able to find it. I dunno what to do if you don't even have a doorway though, perhaps someone else can offer ideas.

http://www.asseenontvguys.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=195

I have one of these at home. Works pretty well, supports my 170 lb self more than adequately.

Congrats on the weight loss JRock :cheers:

Just finished Day 50 of P90x! I'm at 208 now, from about 228-230 at the start of the year.

Thanks man! I'm down to 254, and I'm hoping I can hit 250 or less by Thursday. I'm going to Mardi Gras for the weekend, and I know I'll put on a few pounds there. Doh!

At least I have the comfort of knowing what I'm doing WORKS, so its not a major stress that I will be putting on some pounds. Woot!

That's the key to staying on any type of "diet" and workout. Knowing it works and if you have a few days where you are off you'll be back on track in no time.

I saw in Lean Cuisine thread you had mention the abs diet. Is that what you are doing now? I'm "getting" it right now to read through it.

That's the key to staying on any type of "diet" and workout. Knowing it works and if you have a few days where you are off you'll be back on track in no time.

I saw in Lean Cuisine thread you had mention the abs diet. Is that what you are doing now? I'm "getting" it right now to read through it.

YES! I cannot recommend it highly enough. SkinsHokieFan mentioned it another thread, and I gave it a try. Its been wonderful. Its very easy to stick to, and its a satisfying diet, i.e. I'm not hungry all the time.

YES! I cannot recommend it highly enough. SkinsHokieFan mentioned it another thread, and I gave it a try. Its been wonderful. Its very easy to stick to, and its a satisfying diet, i.e. I'm not hungry all the time.

Awesome.

After looking through it I've been following the diet closely as it is, I just need to modify a few things. It definitely looks great and informative. Thanks!

So I recently joined LA Boxing (I like boxing; needed to join a gym <not 'cause I'm overweight; I'm UNDERWEIGHT>; took a free class; joined); GOOD workouts. Exhausting, but fun.

Intensive cardio is not going to bulk you up, dude. You should be wolfing down the protein and doing some intensive weight training if you want to bulk up.

decided I'm not doing yoga for a bit. It's starting to really hurt my knee. Just can't kneel that much.

We have a 7 1/2 mile run here each year, Bloomsday. I ran it for the first time 2 years ago. I have never been much of a runner, so that was a huge challenge. But this run is so much fun, it's for people/families of all abilities. People even dress up in costumes and they have numerous bands/entertainment along the way. over 40k people do this each year. I bet more than half walk most of it.

Anyway, for those who are experienced runners...do you have suggestions for a very novice long distance runner who is 8 months post ACL surgery? I really want to be ready for this run, and I'm not looking to win...just to be able to do it. I have til May 5th.

decided I'm not doing yoga for a bit. It's starting to really hurt my knee. Just can't kneel that much.

We have a 7 1/2 mile run here each year, Bloomsday. I ran it for the first time 2 years ago. I have never been much of a runner, so that was a huge challenge. But this run is so much fun, it's for people/families of all abilities. People even dress up in costumes and they have numerous bands/entertainment along the way. over 40k people do this each year. I bet more than half walk most of it.

Anyway, for those who are experienced runners...do you have suggestions for a very novice long distance runner who is 8 months post ACL surgery? I really want to be ready for this run, and I'm not looking to win...just to be able to do it. I have til May 5th.

Stew Smith @ military fitness has some running plans. The plans are more for intermediate runners (10-15 mile/week), though. I would think you could modify it for your needs.

http://www.military.com/military-fitness/running/twelve-mile-run-plan

also of interest might be

http://www.military.com/military-fitness/running/preventing-running-injuries

Take a look at the training programs on www.coolrunning.com

They have 10k (6.25 miles) training programs which would serve you well for the distance you're considering. Those programs assume some base level of running fitness. Depending on where your conditioning is at currently you could start with a 5k program and then build on that.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/142.shtml

Just finished my 3rd day of p90x, and my whole body hurts (in a good way). I actually play basketball for two hours tonight, and I may not get off the floor the whole time. Yoga tomorrow for the first time, should be interesting...

I highly recommend people try it. Time is the biggest factor (most workouts are at least an hour), but I haven't felt like this since football summer camps. I'm actually excited to workout everyday... but that may wear off.

You can find it at mininova.org, torrents are your friend...

Stick with it, you'll love the results. I'm starting day 43 tomorrow and I'm loving it. I haven't stuck entirely to the program, I've skipped Kempo and Plyo's but have substituted that with 2 hours at my Martial arts class 2 days a week, so I'm pretty sure I have the cardio covered.

Be sure to take before and after pictures so you can see your progress. I measured my waist, chest, and biceps before I started. In 42 days I've lost 2 1/2" of my waist. I was in decent shape before I started (5'9 and 172, I carry all my weight in my spare tire) I've also lost about 7lbs.

For the P90X crowd. What type of shape do you need to be in to start this program? My wife just had a baby three weeks ago and is interested in trying it with me when she gets the okay from the doctor. She hasn't worked out since before she got pregnant.

Archived