Workout Thread II

PleaseBlitz

Poll: Geographic Breakdown of Ravens Hating  

438 members have voted

1. 1. Poll: Geographic Breakdown of Ravens Hating

• I'm from DC and I hate the Ravens
    • I'm from DC and I'm (kinda) cool with the Ravens
    • I'm from MD and I hate the Ravens
    • I'm from MD and I'm (kinda) cool with the Ravens. I may even LIKE the Ravens.
    • I'm from VA and I hate the Ravens
    • I'm from VA and I'm (kinda) cool with the Ravens
    • I'm a Skins fan with no ties to the area and I hate the Ravens
    • I'm a Skins fan with no ties to the area and I am ok with the Ravens

Sick, I love this thread. I remember the first one vaguely but loved reading up on it.

I too stayed the hell away from the gym until the other day. Was quiet and uncrowded. Beautiful, just beautiful.

Since October, I've stayed away from weights and have been doing plyometrics and working with the bands for a sweet circuit. Changing it up every week as well.

I usually add in extra exercises to focus on burst and regain some muscle in my left arm, which was hurt in an accident. Burst pushups, burpees, ball pushups (12lb weighted ball) and combo deadlift/squat/overhead.

This week my circuits are each 1 minute with little to no rest in between 4 sets total. I do every MWF:

Band presses (have to adjust bands accordingly)

Box Jumps (2.5 foot high knee and hammy can't take much higher)

Cable Row

Step Up (using band to add resistance)

Bench dip

Walking Lunges (w/ weights)

Tricep Extension (behind head)

Toe Touch (Ab crunch)

One arm standing concentration curl

I am following these exercises from http://www.iwantsixpackabs.com and the results are great. I think that I got the site from here in the last thread, but not real sure.

This time last year my training was focused on heavy weights which was great, but I gained a bit too much to keep up with. My biggest hurdle has been an injury from a car accident I had almost two years ago (opted against surgery) which tore my posterior deltoid, tricep and damaged my rotator cuff. Because the rotator cuff wasn't torn, I was able to do some physical therapy and massage to get the arm working again then stepped into some good ol physical training.

My arm is still no where close to 100% but I am adding in extra concentrated reps on the arm in each of these sets. Finally, I am noticing a difference. I wish I had done this shortly after my physical therapy instead of jumping full-on into the bench and machines.

**edit** I am also adding in interval training (running) Tuesday, Thursday and Sat.

I pulled my hammy and wrenched my knee over Xmas playing football with my buddies, so the running has been a b*tch.

I will likely start biking on those days next week so I can get healed up a bit, but will kick the running back into high gear to get ready for my first 10k here in April.

No, you don't have to cut it out completely...but its a good idea to cut way back. Its impossible to completely cut out drinking (I think), because you're always meeting up with friends, going on a date to dinner and drinks, or whatever. Its just not really feasible in the social life of 20 and 30-somethings (oh god, I'm getting close).

Beer has anti-oxidants.

:laugh:

What about hard alcohol? Does that have fewer calories than beer?

Light beer, like Miller Lite or Bud Light are the "best" for you in terms of effect on your body. Most liquors have a lot of sugar in them, so one shot is worse for you than a regular beer, because sugars are worse than just carbs.

I'm pretty sure it's a bit better so long as you stick to Vodka/club soda.

I believe this is the only exception. They make a soy-based vodka now called '3' that is 100% carb free - so that with club soda is a nutrition-neutral drink.

http://www.3vodka.com/index.php

Beer has anti-oxidants.

:laugh:

Ha! I am definitely a beer guy. I can stick to Miller Lite pretty easily, but every once in awhile I need something flavorful. Darker beers have the same benefits as dark chocolate and red wine. :)

I started P90x this past week. Since I have started it, I haven't been able to sleep. I start my work out at about 5 p.m. I'm used to working out in the morning, but my wife wanted to work out with me, so I switched to an evening routine. I also totally changed my diet to follow the Nutrition II plan Fat Shredder Plan, which I have felt that it is way too much food for me.

Has anyone else had sleeping problems like this?

I started P90x this past week. Since I have started it, I haven't been able to sleep. I start my work out at about 5 p.m. I'm used to working out in the morning, but my wife wanted to work out with me, so I switched to an evening routine. I also totally changed my diet to follow the Nutrition II plan Fat Shredder Plan, which I have felt that it is way too much food for me.

I know the few times I've done it later in the day I had issues sleeping. I just have so much energy afterwards that I knock it out in the morning. Then again, I only workout with Tony Horton and the crew and they are on my schedule :D

I know the few times I've done it later in the day I had issues sleeping. I just have so much energy afterwards that I knock it out in the morning. Then again, I only workout with Tony Horton and the crew and they are on my schedule :D

Yeah, I have had tons of energy. It would be hard to get the wife to do it in the morning. She is not exactly into waking up on time. Your lucky to have Tony commit to your schedule!

I don't get to do my P90 until at least 9:00PM after I can help my wife get our 19 month to bed. I've actually had a much easier time falling a sleep. Most nights I would be spending 1-2 hours on my xbox before bed and those are the nights I would have a hard time falling a sleep.

I don't get to do my P90 until at least 9:00PM after I can help my wife get our 19 month to bed. I've actually had a much easier time falling a sleep. Most nights I would be spending 1-2 hours on my xbox before bed and those are the nights I would have a hard time falling a sleep.

I've heard that you should disconnect yourself from most techno things (game machines for instance) about an hour or two before you try to go to sleep.

I decided to hold off for a little while on P90 because I'm not sure I have the time in the AM to commit to actually completing it. Soooo, I'm doing Tony Horton's 10 minute trainer instead. THis morning I did cardio + lower body + abs. The first two were easy enough, but abs was rough.

Tomorrow will be total body + cardio + lower body and I'm going rock climbing in the afternoon :)

Just bought some glucosamine sulfate today for joint health. I'm going to start taking it since I've been lifting for a while now. I can occasionally feel a little pressure in one of my knees and one of my shoulders so I'm hoping this stuff will protect my other joints while helping regenerate cartilage in my one knee/shoulder.

Will keep you guys updated on whether I can tell any difference or not. I did a lot of research before buying it and got some pretty positive info on the supplement itself.

So I took my first spin class last night. It kicked my ass but that wasnt the worst part...that seat almost killed me. the instructor has you stand next to the bike with your knee up parallel to your hip and thats the hieght the seat should be at. i was riding that thing and i swear it was the worst thing ever. i lowered it down and it helped a little but theres just NO cushion on those things.

also did chest yesterday..but my chest hurts too much to write it all out right now.

Am thinking of getting a workout dvd of yoga....ren, do you do your yoga to a dvd or in a class? Any recommendations of good yoga dvds (anyone?). Never done it before, so something for novices.

I'm just using the 10 minute trainer videos (with Tony Horton the P90X guy). The yoga one is very basic (this is not a bad thing :silly:) and it's most of the same stuff I learned when I took yoga in college. My yoga mat also came with a free video but I haven't tried that one yet.

If you haven't before and you can take a class I would recommend that though because your instructor can actually point out any problems in your poses that you wouldn't notice when just trying to imitate a video.

I've been running daily on my treadmill since August. Just before Thanksgiving I got up to 5 miles daily. Now I'm up to 7, and within a month I want to shoot for 10 miles a day (or 6 days a week I take Sunday off...)

I also have started P90X. I absoutlety love it and would suggest it for ANYONE. I enjoy doing each video everyday, and I've seen results already.

Archived