Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Could you fall in love with a person over the internet/phone?

Slateman

So my buddy and I were having a discussion. Could you fall in love with someone over the internet/phone?

Now, it wouldn't be exclusively over the internet, obviously.

But say you meet someone on a message board or a friend of a friend. But you're far away. Still, at some point, you need to be face to face.

My buddy makes the arguement that its a great way to get to know someone. You can have deep and meaningful conversations with the person. You can get to know them at a level beyond just wanting to sleep with them.

I was pretty quiet. Interesting concept. I did argue about the need for at least some physical attraction. He countered that you could send pictures of each other.

the problem with it is that there isnt that face to face connection. the phone/internet gives a false sense of security so you are more open but once face to face you lose it all and it becomes real and the things you felt comfortable saying on the phone you might not express once you look in the other person's eyes.

Love is overrated.

I never thought I'd say this, but at this point I kinda agree...:wtf:

Along the internet thing, I have a friend who has gotten herself into so much trouble by becoming infatuated with guys online only for them to really hurt her in real life.

Like I said before, anyone can say something over the internet and portray themselves in a different light than what they really are.

I think you can. I think you can form that special bond that allows one to feel comfortable with another.

The problem would be when the original plan breaks down. There's a certain freedom associated with long distance or online dating that allows the individual to feel like they have a partner without all the hassle of being with them and compromising with them on a daily basis. I'd imagine that a lot of these relationships flame out once it becomes serious enough where they move in together or are at a point where the initial setup of the relationship changes.

My relationship's beginnings were all over the phone and via AIM/email, because she was in Winston-Salem and I was in MD. So the early days were just about communicating, talking about our goals, our day, etc. When we had the opportunities to be together, it made it seem like we made the most of it. Things changed when she moved back to MD and we got married. 7 years and 2 kids later, it seems to have worked for us.

I think relationships are more about how you get through the rough patches, than how they begin.

the problem with it is that there isnt that face to face connection. the phone/internet gives a false sense of security so you are more open but once face to face you lose it all and it becomes real and the things you felt comfortable saying on the phone you might not express once you look in the other person's eyes.

Adding on to this I feel that once two people interact/unite face to face for the first time it is completely like meeting each other for the first time. Make sense? Conversations will be repeated plenty of times and it would be like meeting eachother, despite "knowing" each other for the past two years for example.

Sure it can happen, but not for me

I was just thinking about this yesterday. I had an met someone online once and took a trip to meet her. I had formed an idea of her personality from chatting, talking on the phone and exchanging pictures.

She was nothing like what I thought she would be.

It's much more likely that your friend will believe she is the person he wants her to be rather than the person that she is, if you get what I'm saying.

But these things do work out sometimes, so it's up to him to decide if it's worth investing the time and money it takes to see these things through.

I think that you can fall in love with the idea of the person, but until you meet and confirm things, then you are not truly in love with the person. On the phone and over email you can say anything and be anything you want. Once you get to be in person, then you can confirm things. I do think the internet is a great way to meet people you would not normally meet. However I am not sure if this is a good or bad thing.

Even though my love grew for my first true love(which was longdistance), it never would've came to be if I hadn't of met this woman first. Having said that, we eventually grew as far apart as we lived because of the fact we never got to see each other. Touch is a key part of a serious relationship. Seeing, hearing, smelling, even tasting don't compare to being able to reach out and hold the person you supposedly care about more then anyone else. My experience, long distance relationships do not work. Building the whole thing over a medium is unneccesarily difficult for me. Other people have their ways, but I can't do it. Don't want to.

I met my wife online. Not until I met her in person did I know that I loved her, but before that there was a great sense of fondness that I tried to push away because I had had some issues before with online friendships.

So, yes you can fall in love with someone over the phone/internet. But whether that transcends into a real relationship is something different.

In the day and era of webcams, IM's and things like that I'd say it is entriely possible to "lay" the foundation for a loving relationship. It forces communication between two parties where as physically being around someone often does not since things like movies, television etc take our minds off of conversation when were with someone.

Archived