Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Redskins' Cerrato not Mr. Popularity (M.E.T.)

Hooper

I think Vinny is OK, not good, but an OK personnel guy. We need to do better but don't get the Vinny is a blithering idiot comments. UNLIKE, Millen he pretty much always gets first round picks right: Landry, Taylor, arguably Rogers. He's made other decent moves like trading up to get Chris Cooley. The Santana Moss deal was arguably good.

It's not like he never finds late round talent: Montgomry, Golston, Horton. Some people on this board worship, Brennan, well he didn't fall out of the sky, Vinny drafted him. As for FA's, he's not exactly been a disaster: London Fletcher, Marcus Washington, Griffin, Randy Thomas, Shawn Springs.

And the team hasn't been really bad, its been medicore. IMO Vinny is an average GM type, some good moves, some bad moves. My best guess, and its purely a guess is what keeps Vinny around beside being close to Snyder is some of the dumb moves by the team were pushed by others in their GM by committee set up they had under Gibbs.

I recall reading in one of the WP exposes about the team a couple of years ago it implied Saunders really pushed hard for Lloyd and Duckett and Gregg Williams wanted Archuleta. We all recall Joe Gibbs being in love with Brunell and also Gibbs wasn't big on the draft and preferred veterans. Hard for me to imagine Cerrato foisting Brunell on Gibbs -- trading a third rounder to get this guy to me feels like a Joe Gibbs move.

I am not saying any of this to defend Cerrato. I'd like him gone too. But my take is if for example Snyder actually listened to the fan base about not hiring Fassel during the off season as some suspect (who knows if he really did, I suspect not but lets play along) -- I don't think he would take the dump Cerrato drill as seriously becuase IMO its really hard to make the case that Cerrato is a joke if you go though all of his deals and if Cerrato took the blame but others are responsible for some of the dumber moves made by the FO -- which I think is at least plausible, Snyder would likely if anything be thankfull that Cerrato is willing to be the whipping boy and take the shots from us and the media.

I guess am on 980's Kevin Sheehan bandwagon about Vinny. He makes the case and I agree that Vinny is a football guy, but not really a good football guy, not a bad one either. He's OK. And as long as you settle for OK you are going to be 8-8 a lot -- not Matt Millen 0-16, 2-14, but 7-9, 9-7, 8-8.

Uh...who's in charge in Oakland?

Seriously though, my prayer would be answered if Snyder cut ties with Cerrato and hired Pioli.

My prayers would be answered if he fired Cerrato and hired a team of monkeys who made decisions by throwing their feces at a draft board and whatever name it hit that's who they draft. Even dumb random luck would be better than VC's "educated" opinions!

God, I wish there was some kind of legal avenues that fans could pursue for the good of the organization. Like, if we could prove that Snyder isn't fit to make competent decisions, so we can involuntary take power from him...for his own good. First order of business in this mutiny would be to file a restraining order against Vinny, barring him from Redskins Park.

Seriously, I am soooo sick of this guy being involved in the franchise. He is a walking disaster.

I think Vinny is OK, not good, but an OK personnel guy. We need to do better but don't get the Vinny is a blithering idiot comments. UNLIKE, Millen he pretty much always gets first round picks right: Landry, Taylor, arguably Rogers. He's made other decent moves like trading up to get Chris Cooley. The Santana Moss deal was arguably good.

It's not like he never finds late round talent: Montgomry, Golston, Horton. Some people on this board worship, Brennan, well he didn't fall out of the sky, Vinny drafted him. As for FA's, he's not exactly been a disaster: London Fletcher, Marcus Washington, Griffin, Randy Thomas, Shawn Springs.

And the team hasn't been really bad, its been medicore. IMO Vinny is an average GM type, some good moves, some bad moves. My best guess, and its purely a guess is what keeps Vinny around beside being close to Snyder is some of the dumb moves by the team were pushed by others in their GM by committee set up they had under Gibbs.

I recall reading in one of the WP exposes about the team a couple of years ago it implied Saunders really pushed hard for Lloyd and Duckett and Gregg Williams wanted Archuleta. We all recall Joe Gibbs being in love with Brunell and also Gibbs wasn't big on the draft and preferred veterans. Hard for me to imagine Cerrato foisting Brunell on Gibbs -- trading a third rounder to get this guy to me feels like a Joe Gibbs move.

I am not saying any of this to defend Cerrato. I'd like him gone too. But my take is if for example Snyder actually listened to the fan base about not hiring Fassel during the off season as some suspect (who knows if he really did, I suspect not but lets play along) -- I don't think he would take the dump Cerrato drill as seriously becuase IMO its really hard to make the case that Cerrato is a joke if you go though all of his deals and if Cerrato took the blame but others are responsible for some of the dumber moves made by the FO -- which I think is at least plausible, Snyder would likely if anything be thankfull that Cerrato is willing to be the whipping boy and take the shots from us and the media.

I guess am on 980's Kevin Sheehan bandwagon about Vinny. He makes the case and I agree that Vinny is a football guy, but not really a good football guy, not a bad one either. He's OK. And as long as you settle for OK you are going to be 8-8 a lot -- not Matt Millen 0-16, 2-14, but 7-9, 9-7, 8-8.

So you're willing to say that Cerrato is an 'ok' personnel guy because:

a) He doesn't screw up first round picks

B) At least he's not Matt Millen.

Wow, what high expectations! I bet Dan Snyder LOVES having fans like you.

Vinny scouts like he is playing Madden. He can find the big names and the big numbers, and that's about it.

That is why he is decent with the first pick, but he does almost nothing with the rest of the draft.

Luckily for him, Snyder is willing to pay out the huge contracts, so Vinny can get by with signing only the big names.

If Vinny was on a budget and forced to do some actual scouting, then we'd be 1-15 every year.

Brendan Noble, eh?

If that wasn't at the end of the snippet, I would have quit reading there.

Well for what is worth he did want the Skins to beat the Iggles so he wouldn't have to hear whole bunch of Iggles fan gloating. He is a coach for a college in PA.

He use to do a regular show with Elliott on DC101 every Friday where they would go over upcoming games and stuff. He did have some insight from time to time since he use to play for the cowturds as well.

Even the quotes in this article from Vinny sound like a guy who is just starting out in professional football. He should stick to scouting and not be involved with player evaluations which he claims the coaches do themselves. We need someone over Vinny to mind the Redskins organization itself. Maybe after he collects a sufficient number of paychecks by next season he will realize that another poor season will end his gm career. I am sure he already has devised an exit strategy.

Well for what is worth he did want the Skins to beat the Iggles so he wouldn't have to hear whole bunch of Iggles fan gloating. He is a coach for a college in PA.

He use to do a regular show with Elliott on DC101 every Friday where they would go over upcoming games and stuff. He did have some insight from time to time since he use to play for the cowturds as well.

It was more because they said his name was Brendan.

My broken record (some mods call my opinion) well here it is again. As long as vinny is here we will continue to be be a laughinhg stock around the league. We will continue with the mediocrity that has been going on here for the last 10 years. We will never be a contender, Vinny "Millen" does not have a clue, hey even the lions, the 0-16 lions addressed there main problem, not us

Vinny has actually had poor first round draft picks after 2000 with one exception.

I'll give him credit for screwing up the 2nd and 3rd picks in the draft that year (I'm sure Charley Casserly would have). I'll even give him extra credit by reaching for Chris Samuels at 3 when most everyone else had him as an end of top 10/early teen pick.

But after that:

2002: Patrick Ramsey (did not work out)

2004: Sean Taylor (here's that exception)

2005: Carlos Rogers (has never played at a level worthy of the 9th pick)

2005: Jason Campbell (jury is still out)

2007: Laron Landry (has not played at the level worthy of the 6th pick plus we came off a season in which we failed to generate sacks or turnovers and we waste the pick on a safety)

But we've all gone over just how bad Vinny has been. The thing that I'm curious about and don't think I've ever heard the answer to this or I've failed to see the report on it. I'd love to know the circumstances that brought Vinny and Danny together. I mean it can't be Cerrato's "accomplishments" in SF that did it can it? Danny was waiting for league approval back in the spring of 1999 and he starts formulating his plan for the operation of the Redskins under his watch and the man he looks to is the guy fired in SF and who was blamed for the erosion of that dynasty over the course of the 90's? What football people could Danny have spoken to that would have recommended Vinny to him other than perhaps Jerry Jones as a form of sabotage?:D

I gotta believe that they became friends first and that led to the job with the Skins.

Vinny has actually had poor first round draft picks after 2000 with one exception.

I'll give him credit for screwing up the 2nd and 3rd picks in the draft that year (I'm sure Charley Casserly would have). I'll even give him extra credit by reaching for Chris Samuels at 3 when most everyone else had him as an end of top 10/early teen pick.

But after that:

2002: Patrick Ramsey (did not work out)

2004: Sean Taylor (here's that exception)

2005: Carlos Rogers (has never played at a level worthy of the 9th pick)

2005: Jason Campbell (jury is still out)

2007: Laron Landry (has not played at the level worthy of the 6th pick plus we came off a season in which we failed to generate sacks or turnovers and we waste the pick on a safety)

Actually, I think Rogers has played close to the level of a top pick. His only issue, IMO, is that he can't seem to catch the damn ball. He's certainly been better than the two guys picked ahead of him. Rolle ended up moving to safety, where he's been decent, but unspectacular, and we know what has happened with Pacman.

As for Landry, I think he's been more than worth the top pick. The problem is, he's always going to be compared to Sean Taylor, who had unreal ability. Also, Landry is still growing as a player. I expect he will get even better.

While Campbell will always be on Vinny's record, I think the pick was more to do with Gibbs than with Vinny. Gibbs was the one who went down to interview him and work him out in Auburn and probably made the call to make the trade to go up and get him.

Then there is the missing pick, which was used on Coles first, then Moss. That overall has worked out positively, tho there have been some negative consequences for getting rid of Coles.

Why is this coming from Rocky Mountain News?

Because the disdain for "BugEyes" is universal. Cerrato is the poster child for what you dont

want to infect your team. I know of 3 or 4 Fantasy Football Geeks who could do a better job

than this pretender. Its amazing Ive been enjoying this site since 2003, and it must be the

most prevalent post of all time about getting rid of this cancer on our team.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but I say we keep Vinny this year and see how he does. But keep our eye on Detroit and see how Ex-Skin Martin Mayhew handles the mess up there. If he does well then kick Vinny to the curb and bring in Mayhew.

If we hired Pioli, I'd give ES a month (maybe 2) before some here start calling him Snyder's wench...

Scott Pioli versus Vinny... not even close a comparison. Vinny has deserved and earned all the criticism he has been given. Maybe not quite the vitriol (this is only a sport, afterall), but definitely the criticism.

Pioli has assembled success the likes of which Vinny can only dream to have.

Archived