Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"Miracle" Amish Heater, and other scams

Switchgear

My wife and I saw an ad (made to look like a regular newspaper article) for a "Miracle" Amish heater this morning. After a bit of digging around (there are some good sources here and here, the comments are great, especially the "plant" comments) it was readily apparent that these fine folks are selling two 1500W space heaters (usually priced around $20) and a fake fireplace front for $300 to $500.

One comment that really made me laugh

The heater is FREE! all you do is pay for the mantle. WOW! what a deal? So, if you have a problem with the heater and you want your money back, the phone conversation with customer service would go something like this:

"Ummm Sir/Ma'am? You say your new miracle heater is not heating the house for pennies and you want your money back? Hmmm. How is the mantle holding up? Because we can't refund you money for a none working heater that you didn't pay for. If the mantle is working then our end of the bargain is upheld." HA! Sneaky huh?

The Heat Surge site is hilarious. I'm sure they'll change it soon, but right now the prices are $587.00 (crossed out), with a much larger, red text $587.00 next to it, for the Deluxe Amish Cherry Fireplace. And then there's the "Prices valid for" counter, apparently I can only get this special deal for another 46 hours. I'd better act quickly.

The print ads are pretty funny too, the first link I put in has some examples.

Some other scam links:

ChocolateCitySkin's Coke scam thread

footballhenry's Primerica thread (not quite a scam, but a good read)

The White Van Scam

Snopes has a good scam section.

Don't cash any checks for anyone, the FTC has some good info about that.

Feel free to add more, but please no political BS, and no conspiracy theory crap.

I saw the TV add where they say "only uses as much as a coffee maker" or similar, but of course a coffee maker running continuously for hours on end will use a serious amount of electricity. If it run's continuously 24/7 one of these puppies will cost about $240 per month in electricity.

there was a pyramid scam a close friend of mine tried to get me involved in this summer but i cant remember what the name of the company was.

it was an electronics company that re-sold phone service and you made money of of the services you sell and all of the services the people you get involved in the company sold hence the pyramid.

Of course they swore it wasnt a pyramid scheme but it looked like every other one ive ever seen.

The strangest part was i spent some time thinking about it because i couldnt believe this friend of mine could be swindled, he is a proffesional contractor and makes tons of money and i couldnt figure out how he would be involved with this crap.

That mother****er, I swear. OLS. Always entertaining to talk to someone who is into that guy

The TV station I used to work at used to run his infomercials constantly...whenever i had to run them I would start them and leave the room and comeback right before they ended. If I stayed in there more than 5 minutes I felt like I would need a shower.

Oh and the colon cleansing infomercials...I would leave during them as well.

The TV station I used to work at used to run his infomercials constantly...whenever i had to run them I would start them and leave the room and comeback right before they ended. If I stayed in there more than 5 minutes I felt like I would need a shower.

Oh and the colon cleansing infomercials...I would leave during them as well.

Didn't you say anything to the execs about not wanting to run those asshats' infomercials?

Didn't you say anything to the execs about not wanting to run those asshats' infomercials?

I would love to have said something...one issue...money! The people behind those infomercials were paying our station a boatload of money to run them...in some cases run them twice an hour. I doubt they would've heard me over the sound of money being deposited into the coffers of the station.

So I did what I had to do...I quit the station.

Archived