Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

For smokers: What is your favorite cigarette brand?

RawBBQSauce

I never smoked, but I hung out with a lot of smokers at my old job, and I'll tell you this: Camels smelled the best. Not the actual smoke, but inside the box. I remember saying that if I were a smoker I would definitely smoke Camels.

Why did I even click on this thread?

I smoke the occasional cigar at the neighbors house and when golfing.

I'm a peasant so getting a cuban or a swisher means nothing to me.

Marlboro lights 100's that the bro in law smokes smell like pot on occasion.

(i believe even without it being manually put in there by the smoker :) )

I smoked Kools/Newports in basic/ait training, marlboro for years and then lights and then ultra lights...

then i ended it in 2002.

I think you guys don't have the discipline or strength of character to quit smoking. Too soft mentally.

If this makes you mad, do something about it. Quit

:applause: Exactly.

Like I said, last time I smoked was a year ago, when i was driving across the country, just me and my dog in the car, from VA to CA. I could smoke a cig today and not smoke another one for 6 months or so. It's all on your mind.

I think you guys don't have the discipline or strength of character to quit smoking. Too soft mentally.

If this makes you mad, do something about it. Quit

I don't think that is a fair assessment. Research has unearthed a gene that is likely responsible for nicotine addiction. Those who have it are more prone to becoming and remaining addicted. Those who don't have the gene, quitting is much easier. Not saying quitting isn't a test of mental stamina, but there's more to it than that.
April 2, 2008 -- Scientists say they have pinpointed a genetic link that makes people more likely to get hooked on tobacco, causing them to smoke more cigarettes, making it harder to quit, and leading more often to deadly lung cancer.

The discovery by three separate teams of scientists makes the strongest case so far for the biological underpinnings of the addiction of smoking and sheds light on how genetics and cigarettes join forces to cause cancer, experts said. The findings also lay the groundwork for more tailored quit-smoking treatments.

"This is kind of a double whammy gene," said Christopher Amos, a professor of epidemiology at the M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston and author of one of the studies. "It makes you more likely to be dependent on smoking and less likely to quit smoking."

Link

Understanding how genes change nicotine receptors may foster better treatments. Stitzel says, “No single gene is going to be the sole determinant of whether someone will become addicted to nicotine or any other substance, because addiction likely is due to the effects of many genes as well as social and other environmental factors.”

However, he adds, “By identifying genes that contribute to whether an individual will become addicted, we will gain important knowledge about the biology of addiction. With that, we will be in a much better position to design more effective treatments for addiction. This approach may also lead to treatments tailored to the ‘genetic profile’ of the smoker.”

...In addition, the finding could help to account for the tendency of smokers to “hand down” versions of genes that increase the likelihood of becoming a smoker. Stitzel says that about half of why a human becomes a smoker is genetically determined; the other half comes from environmental factors.

Link

Researchers say they have identified brain cell receptors that appear to be responsible for nicotine addiction, a finding of clear importance for smokers who are desperately trying to kick the habit.

Link

I used to smoke. Started off and on since high school through college and my twenties. Up to smoking a pack a day when I chained-smoked my way through Europe during a study abroad in law school. Once, I had to choose between eating dinner or smoking. I chose smoking. I loved it that much.

One day I woke up and didn't feel like smoking anymore and quit. Cold turkey. I threw my remaining cigarettes in the trash and moved on. No withdrawals, no cravings. Nada. I was able to simply change the channel on that programming and move onto something more interesting to me. 7 years later, I haven't thought about a cigarette since.

I don't owe quitting to my mental prowess. My body simply didn't crave cigarettes, even though I smoked off and on for over 10 years. So quitting can be much easier for some than others and may have less to do with willpower and more to do with a genetic predisposition.

Sorry to go off topic but I didn't want smokers to be unfairly disparaged. Oh, and to answer the question, I started off smoking Virginia Slims menthol but switched to Marlboro Lights after getting used to smoking them while in Europe because those were the easiest to find. Apparently, Europeans don't like menthols.

Benson & Hedges special ultra. We now have 2 stupid laws in Canada which makes buying my cigarettes somewhat of a chore. the first is companies can no longer aloud to call their different brands anything like "light" or "smooth" or "ultra" so my pack went from looking like this:

short_3.jpg

To the silver one on the far right. The second law is that now stores can not display cigarettes and keep them behind little flip up plastic doors. So now i tell someone I want Benson& Hedges special ultra, that does not say special ultra on it and when they look for B&H I tell them the silver pack, which B&H sells about 18 different kind of smokes in silver packaging.

Benson&Hedges1b.jpg

Archived