Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

D+ ??

The best Mexican beer that I've ever had was Dos Equis Dark. We drank some on draft in Riviera Maya.

What's weird, is that I did a search for Dos Equis Dark,(to post a pic), and I can't find it. In fact, according to the Dos Equis website states that they only brew 2 beers, the lager and the amber lager.

It was back in '06 when we tried it and I know for a fact that it was Dos Equis. Our dive guide, (a German), suggested it at the bar, because he said it was the only decent beer in Mexico. Maybe they quit brewing it?

:whoknows:

The amber is the dark...and yes it is good,especially draft if you can find it.

It's my favorite Mexican beer as well.

usvisits.1175026860.beerx--beerx--dos-equis-amber.jpg

88644021_328b376d10_m.jpg

throw the lime at the bartender

The Especial lager is the green bottle(decent,but not my thing)

The amber is the dark...and yes it is good,especially draft if you can find it.

It's my favorite Mexican beer as well.

usvisits.1175026860.beerx--beerx--dos-equis-amber.jpg

88644021_328b376d10_m.jpg

throw the lime at the bartender

The Especial lager is the green bottle(decent,but not my thing)

I've had the amber....which ain't bad..but I'm telling you, the beer that we had on draft was as dark as diesel oil.

Maybe it wasn't Dos Equis?

Okay so I did my first ever top-of-the-line beer shop today. Spent $29 on three bottles. Almost snagged a six pack of Nugget Nectar, but I've already had it and it was $20. Didn't want to go too crazy today, just wanted to get a few that I've heard nothing but great things about.

The three bottles are Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary Fritz & Ken's Ale Stout, Trappistes Rochefort #8 (it was a temporary thing when they had the #10 in stock [dammit]), and Arrogant **** Ale.

Trappistes Rochefort #8

1450-0w300h300_Abbaye_Saint_Remy_Trappistes_Rochefort_Biere_Belge_Brune.jpg

Well as obvious as it is, I must say this is a great beer. The head just inflated on the poor, which was in a large wine glass. The head took over more area than the beer did, I had to pull up and leave 1/3 of the beer in the bottle. The head was thick, I swirled the glass and it would barely budge. Then after a minute of staying consistently creamy, it died really quickly!

The smell wasn't very pungent, but it was clearly caramel and dark fruits with the smell of alcohol peaking its head out a little. The color also had a dark, caramel tone.

This is a medium bodied beer with medium carbonation and a very pleasant taste. Nothing that really stood out, it was just a solidly delicious brew. Caramel, dark fruits, a sweet finish that is extremely good.

I couldn't help but compare this to the Palo Santo Marron from Dogfish Head. To me, they had some of the same taste qualities. While I prefer the punch of the Palo Santo's initial taste to the Rochefort, the Rochefort's finish is amazing, and the Palo Santo's is a little quick to disappear. I'll take the consistency of the Rochefort over the great initial taste of the Palo Santo.

I have to say this is one of the best beers I've ever had, as I expected. Obviously there is the #10, which I was hoping to get my hands on, but this didn't disappoint at all. I'm a beer drinker that likes big time taste, and this honestly didn't quite reach the heights I expected, but it's still extremely good from the smell to the taste to the look (which I usually don't care about, but this momma was looking awesome in the glass).

A- (92)

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Thanks man. Never had the #6, I should have asked the guys if they could do a special order for me. Would like to try the other two Rocheforts for sure.

IMO the #6 is a smoother brew with less carbonation, definitely an A/A+ brew and one of my favorites there are only two or three that even come close to it for me. But, it is the hardest one of the three to get, I think their website says that the #6 is about 1% of their brews.

Yep 1%.

http://users.telenet.be/gerritvdb/rochefort/English/RochefortIndex.htm

Edited by AsburySkinsFan

I've had all three.

I'd rate them 10>6>8.

I keep all three in the house so I can drink depending on my mood.

If you can't get one you'd like and would be interested in trading beer you can get that I can't, PM me and we can work out a trade.

I've had the amber....which ain't bad..but I'm telling you, the beer that we had on draft was as dark as diesel oil.

Maybe it wasn't Dos Equis?

Maybe it was a dirty glass? :) ,generally the draft is darker than the bottle:whoknows:

Could be something else,Negra Modelo (bit creamy to me) or Bohemia is a popular dark there as well as some seasonal brews(yes they have Christmas beers)

Yeah, I'm still relatively new to the beer tasting scene compared to most of you guys, so the #8 is definitely one of the best beers I've ever had. The World Wide Stout from Dogfish Head is my personal favorite.

Same here, I've only been drinking beer since last summer, prior to that I only had sips of domestics as a teen. I always thought that beer was supposed to taste bitter and nasty, but then I decided to give it a try after I graduated. Lo and behold I found that I really like these modern craft brews, and some of the historic brews like the Trappistes. The domestic macros still taste nasty and I'm not sure why anyone drinks them. :whoknows:

For me some of my favs are:

Trappistes #6

Sam Adams Imperial Stout; this is what defines the word stout for me.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout

Jefferson Reserve Stout by Kentucky Brewing Company

For an evening dinner my favs are:

Sam Adams Winter Lager

Sam Adams Boston Lager

Guinness Stout

Dang ASF, that kills me, I was seriously considering picking up a pack of Sam Adams Imperial Stout today. Hell, I had it in hand! Damn! I remember you giving it maybe the best review you've given on here...I seriously don't know why I put it down.

Gonna have to run back soon and try it.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Dang ASF, that kills me, I was seriously considering picking up a pack of Sam Adams Imperial Stout today. Hell, I had it in hand! Damn! I remember you giving it maybe the best review you've given on here...I seriously don't know why I put it down.

I regret putting off trying it for so long. I kept reading reviews and style descriptions about how strong it was because it aged a lot during the shipment to Russia etc, and I kept thinking it was going to have that rip your face off hoppy bitterness, so one day I was walking by and thought...OK fine I'll give it a shot and wow was I thrilled to be so surprised. It is certainly not a brew I'd sit down with every night, but I don't believe its quality can be doubted.

Don't waste your time with the Sam Adams Imperial Stout if you can get your hands on Stone's Russian Imperial Stout. IMO one of the best beers I've ever had the luxury of drinking.

Don't waste your time with the Sam Adams Imperial Stout if you can get your hands on Stone's Russian Imperial Stout. IMO one of the best beers I've ever had the luxury of drinking.

I'll be looking into this one, but wow that bottle is big for a 10+% brew. Drinking that thing would be the equivalent of 4 average beers.

http://www.findstonebeer.com/

Edited by AsburySkinsFan

For any southern Marylanders, or anyone who would like to make the trip,,, try the Ruddy Duck Brewery in Solomons.

I really like the Helles.. delicious.. very full body with a nice bite of hops.

I love the stuff. (Nice bar too.. very spacious and open.)

They sell Growlers to go, and since i bought mine I go down and fill it up whenever I feel like drinking beer. Fresh and delicious,, beats the hell out of anything in the stores.

~Bang

For any southern Marylanders, or anyone who would like to make the trip,,, try the Ruddy Duck Brewery in Solomons.

I really like the Helles.. delicious.. very full body with a nice bite of hops.

I love the stuff. (Nice bar too.. very spacious and open.)

They sell Growlers to go, and since i bought mine I go down and fill it up whenever I feel like drinking beer. Fresh and delicious,, beats the hell out of anything in the stores.

~Bang

Where in Solomons is it? I was down there for Tiki Bar and I still have never seen the place. I remember you saying something about it before, but I just can't seem to find it haha

I'll be looking into this one, but wow that bottle is big for a 10+% brew. Drinking that thing would be the equivalent of 4 average beers.

http://www.findstonebeer.com/

c'mon man! suck it up;) Seriously, split it with some one if you need to but definitely give it a try.

Being a huge hop nut, I also love Stone's Ruination IPA. I can't afford to drink it to often though. Right now, my hoppy beer of choice is Swee****er's yellow IPA, great beer at a good price.

edit: not sure why that got censored: S w e e t w a t e r ' s

Edited by HighPlainsDrifter

c'mon man! suck it up;) Seriously, split it with some one if you need to but definitely give it a try.

Being a huge hop nut, I also love Stone's Ruination IPA. I can't afford to drink it to often though. Right now, my hoppy beer of choice is Swee****er's yellow IPA, great beer at a good price.

edit: not sure why that got censored: S w e e t w a t e r ' s

:ols: The word "t-w-a-t" is in the middle of the name.