Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

I like Guinness Extra Stout. It's too expensive, but I can muster up the cash every so often. That said, I'll never buy Guinness Draught again. Even with the nitro it feels flat and watered down, maybe it's just me.

no, its not you. tastes like that to me as well.

Build Strong Bones With … Beer?

Scientists say the dietary silicon in beer boosts bone density, and moderate consumption might help fight osteoporosis.......

.....The researchers tested 100 commercial beers for their silicon content — Nero Wolfe would have been proud — and categorized the data according to the brews’ source and style. They found that beers with high amounts of malted barley and hops have the most silicon......

http://www.miller-mccune.com/health/build-strong-bones-with-beer-11410/

Beer, Women and Silicon....That sounds like a good time

I like Guinness Extra Stout. It's too expensive, but I can muster up the cash every so often. That said, I'll never buy Guinness Draught again. Even with the nitro it feels flat and watered down, maybe it's just me.
no, its not you. tastes like that to me as well.

While admittedly a real Guinness draught is superior to a nitro can or bottle, it must be remembered that Guinness is in line with the Irish Dry Stout; from our friends over at beeradvocate.com

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/162

One of the most common stouts, Dry Irish Stout tend to have light-ish bodies to keep them on the highly drinkable side. They're usually a lower carbonation brew and served on a nitro system for that creamy, masking effect. Bitterness comes from both roasted barley and a generous dose of hops, though the roasted character will be more noticeable. Examples of the style are, of course, the big three, Murphy's, Beamish, and Guinness, however there are many American brewed Dry Stouts that are comparable, if not better.
Edited by AsburySkinsFan

Just got a Samuel Adams Longshot sixer. Has Mile High Barley Wine, Lemon Pepper Saison and Old Ben Ale. Trying the Mile High Barely Wine right now and I like it more with each sip. This is a beer I feel like chugging, maybe it's because I just got off of work. Most barley wines I like to take in slowly, this one isn't too in your face, but it's certainly tasty. I'd try to go deeper in to its flavor but would ya look at that, it's finished. Oh well.

With high hopes, the other night i tried the Vanilla Java Porter by At-water.

a****er6pack.jpg

It smelled delicious. vanilla, coffee, beer ... three aromas that go great together. unfortunately, the taste did not quite live up to the expectation. although it was sweet, it was not rich. there was little to no hoppiness to it. normally, that's fine by me -- i don't demand a hoppy beer, but in this case some pronounced hops might have cut the dessertiness of it. it was a little thinner than i expected as well, but perhaps i'm just getting too used to all those muddy imperial stouts i've been loving lately. This beer did not taste bad. I just couldn't help feeling it should have tasted better. Overall Rating: C+

NOTE: usually after an evening of moderate drinking (i had 4 of these) i sleep like a baby, but this night i simply tossed and turned fitfully and anxiously all night long, and what little sleep i did get was very light and easily disturbed. i suspect this beer's "java" element contains significant caffeine, which overpowered and outlasted the depressant effect of the 6% ABV.

edit: are you kidding me? the server censored the image url because of the word at_water? sheesh.

Edited by greenspandan

With high hopes, the other night i tried the Vanilla Java Porter by At-water.

a****er6pack.jpg

It smelled delicious. vanilla, coffee, beer ... three aromas that go great together. unfortunately, the taste did not quite live up to the expectation. although it was sweet, it was not rich. there was little to no hoppiness to it. normally, that's fine by me -- i don't demand a hoppy beer, but in this case some pronounced hops might have cut the dessertiness of it. it was a little thinner than i expected as well, but perhaps i'm just getting too used to all those muddy imperial stouts i've been loving lately. This beer did not taste bad. I just couldn't help feeling it should have tasted better. Overall Rating: C+

NOTE: usually after an evening of moderate drinking (i had 4 of these) i sleep like a baby, but this night i simply tossed and turned fitfully and anxiously all night long, and what little sleep i did get was very light and easily disturbed. i suspect this beer's "java" element contains significant caffeine, which overpowered and outlasted the depressant effect of the 6% ABV.

edit: are you kidding me? the server censored the image url because of the word at_water? sheesh.

I tried some of that from Total Wine a few months ago and I remember the profanity filter did the same thing to me when I posted about it.

I came to pretty much the same conclusion you did (minus the sleeplessness). I found it to be pretty disappointing. It wasn't a terrible beer but it lacked the bite you would expect from a beer of that type.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/midnight_sun/blog/2010/04/brewers_art_will_can_resurrect.html

Brewer's Art will offer its flagship beer, Resurrection Ale, in cans, owners announced today.

The Mount Vernon brew pub, which already distributes Resurrection in 750-milliliter glass bottles, hopes to have six-pack cans of the abbey-style ale in stores before Memorial Day, according to co-owners Tom Creegan and Volker Stewart.

"We're taking the plunge," Creegan said.

Though the price hasn't been finalized, Creegan thinks it will be $9.99. Pictured, at right, is a prototype of the design for the 12-ounce cans.

The first batch of Resurrection for the new line of cans will start brewing at Sly Fox Beer in Penn. next week. Sly Fox also makes and bottles the 750-milliliter Resurrection line.

I love me some resurrection! Wish it was bottles instead of cans, but I'm excited to get some nonetheless

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/midnight_sun/blog/2010/04/brewers_art_will_can_resurrect.html

I love me some resurrection! Wish it was bottles instead of cans, but I'm excited to get some nonetheless

Why?

As far as packaging is concerned, cans are superior to bottles.

Less air in the headspace when filled, no light can penetrate it and it's cheaper to can beer, than to bottle it. The only reason more craft brewers don't can beer, is because the perception that beer is "better" in bottles and bottles look better.

I learned that talking to the managing partner of a local craft brewer.

That's probably the reason that Brewer's Art is putting it in cans.

As far as the Resurrection goes...agreed....it's damn good.

Why?

As far as packaging is concerned, cans are superior to bottles.

Less air in the headspace when filled, no light can penetrate it and it's cheaper to can beer, than to bottle it. The only reason more craft brewers don't can beer, is because the perception that beer is "better" in bottles and bottles look better.

I learned that talking to the managing partner of a local craft brewer.

That's probably the reason that Brewer's Art is putting it in cans.

As far as the Resurrection goes...agreed....it's damn good.

Didn't know all that. For some reason to me though, bottles taste better. But either way, I'll be loading up on resurrection!

Samuel Adams Longshot:

Lemon Pepper Saison: Not surprisingly I think this would be a good beer while eating steak. Definitely doesn't fall short of smelling and tasting like lemon pepper. Nice touch of spice and doesn't go overboard with the flavoring. Thought I wouldn't like this beer, and while it's nothing incredible, it's definitely a good cookout brew.

C (77)

Mile High Barleywine: Pretty darn good! Caramel malt dominates with dark fruit backing, and the thick body is a very nice combo. Mind you, these three beers are 9% or 9.5% ABV, and the other two hid the alcohol well, this doesn't really. Nothing real complex at all, but tasty. Think this would be a nice winter time beer.

B (84)

Old Ben Ale: Classy looking red-mahogany, aroma of raisins, plum, bread and pineapple. Taste is dark fruits with sweet caramel, toffee, bread and an undertone of citrus hops. Very tasty beer, I really like this one. Have to try it with food one day, probably a decorated pizza. Recommend picking it up if you like English style brews.

B+ (89)

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Didn't know all that. For some reason to me though, bottles taste better. But either way, I'll be loading up on resurrection!

I didn't know that either, until the brewer explained it to me. He did say that the issues with cans affecting the taste of beer is a thing of the past.

I guess the best way to find out is find something available in cans and bottles, that is palatable, and try a blind taste test. Yuengling maybe?

I didn't know that either, until the brewer explained it to me. He did say that the issues with cans affecting the taste of beer is a thing of the past.

I guess the best way to find out is find something available in cans and bottles, that is palatable, and try a blind taste test. Yuengling maybe?

I haven't tried Yuengling in a can, but it'll be on the list.

Not exactly adventuresome tonight.

Corona Extra D+

This is my first Corona experience.

Appearance: light clear gold, poured thin, fairly light head dissipates quickly.

Smell: Spicy barely hops.

Taste: light spice, fairly pleasant, not nearly as hoppy as I was expecting based on the smell. Not a whole lot going on with this brew, fairly one dimensional with some light bitterness at the finish. Some very mild after-taste but nothing abusive or annoying.

Mouthfeel: thin, medium carbonation, leaves the mouth dry.

Drinkability: I now know why this is a session beer for so many, its light and drinkable with little to no alcohol taste or burn.

Still not sure why people put a lime in it though.

Not exactly adventuresome tonight.

Corona Extra D+

This is my first Corona experience.

Appearance: light clear gold, poured thin, fairly light head dissipates quickly.

Smell: Spicy barely hops.

Taste: light spice, fairly pleasant, not nearly as hoppy as I was expecting based on the smell. Not a whole lot going on with this brew, fairly one dimensional with some light bitterness at the finish. Some very mild after-taste but nothing abusive or annoying.

Mouthfeel: thin, medium carbonation, leaves the mouth dry.

Drinkability: I now know why this is a session beer for so many, its light and drinkable with little to no alcohol taste or burn.

Still not sure why people put a lime in it though.

D+ ??

Why such a high rating?

I think Corona is Spanish for "sour":ols:

The best Mexican beer that I've ever had was Dos Equis Dark. We drank some on draft in Riviera Maya.

What's weird, is that I did a search for Dos Equis Dark,(to post a pic), and I can't find it. In fact, according to the Dos Equis website states that they only brew 2 beers, the lager and the amber lager.

It was back in '06 when we tried it and I know for a fact that it was Dos Equis. Our dive guide, (a German), suggested it at the bar, because he said it was the only decent beer in Mexico. Maybe they quit brewing it?

:whoknows:

If you are drinking straight from the source then the bottle may be better, BUT the key is to pour them into a glass. If you do your taste taste use glasses.

Dude it's a Corona, just drink it. :ols:

The lime makes it a little more refreshing on a hot summer day.

Yeah, I know I thought about not writing anything up but I've been pretty consistent with reviewing any new brews I try and I figured it was time that I give Corona a test run, I can see this on a hot summer day at a cook out or something where I don't want to really think about what I'm drinking maybe at a tailgate or something.

I am glad I went with the Corona Extra because I simply cannot imagine how watery a Corona Light would be, I might as well drink Desani.