Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

keg of loose cannon........yummm.

Truthfully, it's a mixed blessing.

Loose Cannon is one of my all-time favorites but 15 gallons of 7.25% beer can dangerous ;)

Lately, my house beer has been Victory Hop Devil. With the lower ABV, it's more of a session beer than the Loose Cannon.

I actually ordered a keg of Hop Devil, but the distributor didn't have any, (and I didn't feel like waiting), so they hooked me up with the Loose Cannon on very short notice. :D

At today's "Real Ale & BBQ Fest", they're going to have a couple of versions of Loose Cannon in casks. According to the brewer, they're going to have "two different versions brewed in medium toast, white oak barrels..each barrel is from a different source"

It was brewed specially for the event, and I can't wait to try it!!

Edited by Skinsfan1311

I'm also on a stout/Porter kick. Had this last night

DND09_pick.jpg

18% alcohol

Really good. The alcohol was definitely there, but it was easily forgotten. Lots of good flavors came through.

After that went out and had an Alpine Irish Red on tap. Through the first half of the pint I thought I was in love. Terrifically balanced and smooth. I thought I'd be drinking a few more right after, but by the end of the glass I was less impressed and ready to move on to the Alpine Pure Hoppiness.

At today's "Real Ale & BBQ Fest", they're going to have a couple of versions of Loose Cannon in casks. According to the brewer, they're going to have "two different versions brewed in medium toast, white oak barrels..each barrel is from a different source"

It was brewed specially for the event, and I can't wait to try it!!

i should have been there. how was it? the overall event, and, more importantly, the loose cannon?

i should have been there. how was it? the overall event, and, more importantly, the loose cannon?

It was excellent.

The BBQ was very good. The band was good. The beer was great!

I did not care for the cask versions of Loose Cannon, (they had 2 different oak casks of it), nor did I really care for any of the cask beer. I don't mind warmer beer, but it's just too flat for me. The "mouthfeel" was similar to what you get in a nitro-poured beer. Not my cup of tea.

They did have a pumpkin ale, that was aged in bourbon barrels, which was excellent. That was pleasant surprise, as don't care for pumpkin ale.

I stuck to the Peg Leg Stout and Small Craft Warning. I didn't have any regular Loose Cannon, as I have a keg of it here at home.

Edited by Skinsfan1311

Picked up Trappistes Rochefort #8 (supposedly the best of the three), and a Sam Adam's Imperial Stout, plus a 6er of Sam's Boston Lager....I want my Winter Lager back.

I'm planning to detail the #8 and the Imperial, I'm not sure which one I'm going to do first though either way one will be tomorrow night.

Went back to the store and picked up a sixer of....

Jerry would be proud.

Which one is that? I like their beer called "The Love." It's a Hefeweizen with traces of clove and banana. Good as hell. They balanced it out just right, so you can taste the flavors and the beer at the same time, without too much sweetness.

I'm interested in trying some of their other varieties.

Which one is that? I like their beer called "The Love." It's a Hefeweizen with traces of clove and banana. Good as hell. They balanced it out just right, so you can taste the flavors and the beer at the same time, without too much sweetness.

I'm interested in trying some of their other varieties.

Dark Star Stout, having one now, not very thick, kind of smokey/nutty a little coffee tasting. Its okay and not very creamy, I wouldn't buy it again. "The Love" sounds very good, I will have to keep my eyes open.

sa-imperial-stout-bottle-and-glass.jpg

Sam Adam's Imperial Stout

Wow, certainly not your dinner brew. Thick, black, not very carbonated, smooth feel. I got a fairly thin head off an average poor (unlike the one in the pic). Extremely malty with heavy coffee and chocolate flavors. Strong though, some alcohol from the 9.2%, mild hoppiness did not distract. This is a power malt brew. I took about 30 minutes or so to work through my glass, and loved going back and breathing in the aroma. Truly a very nice evening brew, but certainly not for the faint of heart. What's funny is that when I tried Guinness Extra Stout this is what I was looking for, bold, malty, thick, smooth.

Certainly gets an A from me.

Edited by AsburySkinsFan

Wow, certainly not your dinner brew. Thick, black, not very carbonated, smooth feel. I got a fairly thin head off an average poor (unlike the one in the pic). Extremely malty with heavy coffee and chocolate flavors. Strong though, some alcohol from the 9.2%, mild hoppiness did not distract. This is a power malt brew. I took about 30 minutes or so to work through my glass, and loved going back and breathing in the aroma. Truly a very nice evening brew, but certainly not for the faint of heart. What's funny is that when I tried Guinness Extra Stout this is what I was looking for, bold, malty, thick, smooth.

Try a Heavy Seas Peg Leg Stout.

It's not as malty, as the Sam Adam's, but it's very enjoyable.

I keep meaning to try this, their cream stout, and the Pils, but never really see them in my craft beer stores. Seems like Sam gets some backlash from the craft beer people.

I keep meaning to try this, their cream stout, and the Pils, but never really see them in my craft beer stores. Seems like Sam gets some backlash from the craft beer people.

yeah, i'm not a beer snob, i'll drink anything, and give it a fair shake. sometimes sam adams falls flat, but occasionally they hit it out of the park.

the sam adams cream stout is ok. there's just not a whole lot to it. a little weak, but agreeable enough flavor.

the noble pils is actually pretty good -- i actually found that on tap at red robin, of all places.

i am in love with the Sam Adams Imperial Stout though. i agree completely with the reviewer. it's absolutely delicious. it's an incredibly bold product for such a large brewer. smells wonderfull, too.

avoid the Imperial White, though, it starts out too sweet, and the sweetness rises during the aftertaste. yuck.

my favorite beer these days is Palo Santo Marron by Dogfish Head. it recently replaced my former favorite, La Fin Du Monde. This is quite an accomplishment, because La Fin Du Monde actually holds sentimental value for me:

my first trip to canada, with my future wife. the summer of 1997. at the time, i knew nothing of microbrews. "icehouse" was about as exotic as i'd ever gotten with beer. we stopped at a little country store in the Quebec wilderness, and i saw these beers with these amazing evocative labels, by some company i'd never heard of called Unibroue. Eau bénite, and La Fin Du Monde. well, i bought them totally not knowing what to expect. i was very leery of the 9% abv listed on the bottle, but i was shocked to discover that these beers tasted better than any i'd ever had. i had no idea, before that day, that beer wasn't supposed to taste like watered down metallic urine. sitting there in the canadian wilderness on the porch of my girlfriend's cabin, it was love at first sip.

my favorite beer these days is Palo Santo Marron by Dogfish Head. it recently replaced my former favorite, La Fin Du Monde. This is quite an accomplishment, because La Fin Du Monde actually holds sentimental value for me

I was very close to getting the Palo Santo today. Really had to fight back the urge to spend $15 on a four pack of beer. Figured I'll just try it off the tap the next trip to the Alehouse.

I was very close to getting the Palo Santo today. Really had to fight back the urge to spend $15 on a four pack of beer. Figured I'll just try it off the tap the next trip to the Alehouse.

If you're going to drop that kind of $$$, and if you like hops, you might as well spend another $5.00 and get a sixer of Oaked Arrogant ****.