Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

:yikes:

I nominate Sebo for Extremeskins Professor of Brewology Committee

This is the premier beer recommendation group for all tailgates

All Hail :allhail:

:ols:Thanks, I think.

I'm not very good at reviewing and breaking down flavors, but I may take a crack at it a little here. I've been drinking so many different beers it is probably a good idea to document what I actually think of them while it is fresh in my mind. And on that note, I'll review last week's beers some other time:silly:

Going here for dinner. Check out this tap list

http://www.sdtaproom.com/beer.html

And I am starting to figure out how I can get this day off work.

http://www.stoneworldbistro.com/oakquinox

I just bought my ticket for the Real Ale & BBQ fest, which is on 3-27 from 12-4.

I know it's short notice, but those of you who can make it should have a great time. Basically, the party is held inside of the brewery, which is an old warehouse. In addition to their regular beers, they'll have casks of ale and plenty of BBQ, ribs, pulled pork, brisket, fixin's, etc. Of course, it's all you care to eat and drink and there will be live music.

The tickets with the "convenience fee" come $53.90 each. I believe that they offer DD tickets for $39.90 inclusive of the fee.

Here's the link to the tickets.

http://www.mooreastore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=179

Here's a link to the brewery event page and, I believe, that you can purchase tickets on this site too.

http://www.hsbeer.com/heavy-seas-real-ale-bbq-fest-0

BTW....we're leaving the wives home for this one. :paranoid: :beerglass

If you go, please make arrangements for a DD, or a taxi ride home. While they do have lighter offerings, the "Heavy Seas" line of beers are all in the 7% - 10% ABV range.

If any of you are going, please shoot me a PM. Hope to see some of you there!

Well now I know! :cheers:

I've never been to the brewery but its on my list of things to do this summer.

i went about a year ago. it was fun. they give you a glass to keep and about 5 chips worth about a quarter of a pint of beer for, i think, 5 bucks.

the tour guide was pretty funny and informative. the brewery itself is really just a big warehouse- nothing fancy. and, unfortunately, the beer really isnt discounted much if at all. still costs $20 for a 12 pack there.

but its a good time.

i finally picked up some sierra nevada bigfoot ale. i dont know why but i was expecting it to be syrupy and sweet. it wasnt at all. good stuff. although for drinking more than one, i'd drink the torpedo.

Also picked up Flying Dogs Belgian IPA, delicous, very hoppy.

do you mean the 'raging *****'? i swear i must have gotten a bad 6 pack of that stuff a month or so ago.

it actually tasted just like this- "Band-Aid" like flavor or aroma, that can also present itself as medicine-like or clovey." it tasted like straight plastic. http://www.homebrewzone.com/phenols.htm

i also got a sixer of FD classic pale ale 2 weeks ago, and it was definitely bad. maybe someone can answer this, but my dad has made 'homebrew' for about 20 years, and, no matter what kind of beer he's trying to make, it always comes out like this- "Chlorophenols resemble the aforementioned taste descriptors combined with bleach. Phenols are usually part of the flavor profile in Belgians and Wheat beers however.", which is a continuation of the paragraph from the above link.

it has sort of a rotten, moldy taste to it. but, my dad doesnt seem to notice it at all. he thinks its fine, and i dont have the heart to tell him it tastes funny. so, any of you homebrewers, feel free to fill me in on why his beer tastes wierd.

i've only gotten store bought beer one other time that had that moldy taste to it, and coincidentally, it was another frederick brewery- 'blue ridge'. i think they arent in business anymore.

Edited by grego

Raging ***** is very bitter, I taste grapefruit/citrus, hops, vanilla, some type of herb. Don't taste bandaids or even smell them, I don't think its that far off from the Flying Dog IPA.

ya, it sounds like i definitely got a bad batch then, cuz i just had a FD IPA last night and it was nothing like that.

sux that i got 2 bad 6ers of FD in the past month though. its not like you can return it for a fresh one.

ya, it sounds like i definitely got a bad batch then, cuz i just had a FD IPA last night and it was nothing like that.

sux that i got 2 bad 6ers of FD in the past month though. its not like you can return it for a fresh one.

Picked up a bad sixer of Petes last week, two bottles were opened, I returned them, no questions asked. If you still have more than 4 left, I would take them back.

The liquor stores that I go to would take 'em back. They'll just give them back to the distributors who, in turn, should tell the brewery. If bad beer is getting out, or if beer is not being handled properly, the brewery definitely wants to know.

I got a couple of funky bottles of "9", brewed by Magic Hat, in a sampler pack. There was syrupy, splotchy stuff under the crown and neck of the bottles. I tried one, and it was indeed, funky. The rest of the beers were fine. Since they were part of a sampler, (and I was lazy), I did not exchange the 12-pack.

I did e-mail the brewery and told them where, and when, I bought it. I described the issues, and I saved a bottle, and offered to mail it to them. I got an immediate response. They were apologetic, and very grateful. They also sent me some cool SWAG.

Picked up a bad sixer of Petes last week, two bottles were opened, I returned them, no questions asked. If you still have more than 4 left, I would take them back.

Good call. If the retailer refused to take them back, then I would find somewhere else to buy my beer.

Don't forget, that the Heavy Seas Real Ale & BBQ fest is in 2 weeks. The event is almost sold out. Me and a few buddies will be there. If any of my fellow beer geeks are going, please shoot me a PM.

I know it's short notice, but those of you who can make it should have a great time. Basically, the party is held inside of the brewery, which is an old warehouse. In addition to their regular beers, they'll have casks of ale and plenty of BBQ, ribs, pulled pork, brisket, fixin's, etc. Of course, it's all you care to eat and drink and there will be live music.

The tickets with the "amusement tax" come $53.90 each. I believe that they offer DD tickets for $39.90 inclusive of the fee.

Here's the link to the tickets.

http://www.mooreastore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=179

Here's a link to the brewery event page and, I believe, that you can purchase tickets on this site too.

http://www.hsbeer.com/heavy-seas-real-ale-bbq-fest-0

I hope to see some of you there!

hmm. i know i have at least 3 left. maybe i'll take the back.

funny thing is, i was in OC about 2 months ago and i got a bottle of pre-mixed chi chis margarita mix. opened it up, and it was either bad, or they mixed up the labels with the mojito stuff, cuz it tasted kind of minty.

i took it 50 blocks back to the liquor store to swap it and the dude refused to exchange it. i didnt want my money back, just another bottle. he still refused. i asked him to call his manager, and he refused to do that too. i was pretty annoyed at that point, so i said i would call the cops (not that they dont have anything better to do, but it was january in OC. not alot going on). i'm not proud of that move, but it was the principle of the thing.

he even asks me 'what do you want me to do?? if you got a bad bottle of coke, would you return it to the store'. 'yes, i would, if it were a $10 bottle of coke'.....

so, reluctantly, i called the cops. and yes, i felt like an idiot when the operator says '911, whats your emergency?'.......uhhhh.......its not really an emergency.......uhhh...i got a bad bottle of margarita mix, and the guy wont exchange it for me???

after that, the guy initially says he'll refund my money. i was like 'why didnt you say that 2 minutes ago- before i called the cops!? all i wanted was an exchange. so he gets another bottle, opens it up, and says 'ya this one smells funny too.....but its cheap margarita mix.' then he says theres nothing he can do. i told him he had just offered me a refund, and he looks me in the eye and says 'no i didnt'. WTF?? i was pissed.

a few minutes later, they actually showed up. by this time, the guy finally called his manager and he said to exchange it. i got something else just in case the whole lot was bad.

not my best moment, but i did get my booze. :silly:

Draft preferred, then bottle, then can.

chilled but not cold, ie cooler than room temp but not cold is perfect to me.

I like some domestics, but mostly imports. Shiner Bock (domestic), Singha(import) probably my faves. paulaner hefeweizen is pretty good too.

Was at Du Claw Friday after work. Bare ass blonde ale gimme! and Misfit Red

Edited by ciresolstice

Had an Alpine Duet on tap last night. It was fantastic. I think I like it better than any of there others. Super smooth for how hoppy it is. extremely well balanced. The Nelson is awesome too though, as is Exponential Hoppiness when that is around. They just tapped that at a local spot so I'll see if it over takes the Duet when on tap.

I think it is time for me to start tracking the types of hops in the beers I really love and start to discern them. The Duet has Amarillo and Simcoe hops which I know are in some f the other beers I really liked. This should help when I start to homebrew (hopefully soon) Anyone here try to tell what kind of hops are in there beer?

While I'm asking questions, anyone here homebrew?

Just wondering, we go down there a lot.

You should write flying dog like 1311 did. If you have 3 left say that you and your buddies opened them and each of you noticed something was wrong with them right away.

i just now read the last paragraph of his post. i actually did email flying dog (for one, cuz the beer i like isnt cheap, and also cuz i like it and want to buy some more in the future). they responded and said they werent allowed to replace it, but they did send me a t shirt.

Had the Shipyard Prelude Special Ale. A nice English plale ale (dark amber color) pretty nutty with a perfect hop balance from the all English hops (pretty good for time of year).

Also had the Yards George Washington's Tavern Porter (Yards claims it follows a recipe Washington used himself). Very rich and some molasses flavor are evident with a nice deep garnet hue. I really liked this one and anyone that is a fan of the porter style I recommend this brew.

Edited by Warpath11

My uncle is in Kuwait right now and since its a dry country, all he can drink is this - Budweiser NA :ols:

Its only available in Middle Eastern markets I think

i was in the persian gulf in 91, and a guy in my platoon somehow got a can of miller high life sent to him in a package.

now, miller high life- especially in a can- may be the worst beer one could drink. but 5 of us shared that can of warm toilet water, and it honestly tasted like the best beer i had ever had.

i was in the persian gulf in 91, and a guy in my platoon somehow got a can of miller high life sent to him in a package.

now, miller high life- especially in a can- may be the worst beer one could drink. but 5 of us shared that can of warm toilet water, and it honestly tasted like the best beer i had ever had.

suprisingly, I love Miller High Life :paranoid:

he said though if he were to try and bring an alcohol in the country, he would immediately be deported, no questions asked.