Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

I keep meaning to try this, their cream stout, and the Pils, but never really see them in my craft beer stores. Seems like Sam gets some backlash from the craft beer people.

Yeah, its unfortunate too. I have found that Sam Adams will usually put out a fairly palatable variation on each of the brewing styles, you won't find the extreme characteristics that you get from other brewers (Rouge, etc) but I have found that if you're looking for a good middle of the road brew to sample a new style then Sams is the way to go. Quite frankly I think its a bit hypocritical for craft beer stores to turn their noses up at Sam's when if it were not for Sam's then Americans would still be busy guzzling the macros who think the best way to sell their beer is to talk about everything except the taste to the beer. Yes Bud Lite I'm talking about you, and you Bud, oh yeah and I wouldn't want to let Coors Light go neglected.

Yeah, its unfortunate too. I have found that Sam Adams will usually put out a fairly palatable variation on each of the brewing styles, you won't find the extreme characteristics that you get from other brewers (Rouge, etc) but I have found that if you're looking for a good middle of the road brew to sample a new style then Sams is the way to go. Quite frankly I think its a bit hypocritical for craft beer stores to turn their noses up at Sam's when if it were not for Sam's then Americans would still be busy guzzling the macros who think the best way to sell their beer is to talk about everything except the taste to the beer. Yes Bud Lite I'm talking about you, and you Bud, oh yeah and I wouldn't want to let Coors Light go neglected.

I agree. The problem with my local craft beer place is there is not enough shelf space for the beers they want to stock, so they have to cut out the stuff you can get at the Super Market, like Sam's. Then they can always suggest a craft alternative to someone looking for a Sam's. That's my theory anyway.

I finally tried the Pils for the fights on Wednesday. Very good. Not spectacular, but very good. I am a huge German pilsner fan. Almost all American versions fall short. The Sam was about as good an American Pilsner I've had. It has been awhile, but I believe I really liked the Brooklyn Pilsner too.

Wow, that's probably the last thing I'd have with sausage gravy and biscuits. :puke: 'bout the only stout that I drink with a meal is Guinness or Murphy's.

Had to coat the stomach for yesterdays marathon/bender.

It was actually pretty darn good, nice breakfast stout. :ols:

Ok, I'm totally honked right now at Giant grocery stores!! I was just at a certain store location in Virginia that will go un-named (because I know how some of you guys are) and I saw they had individual brews that you could mix and match, well lo and behold there was some Sam Adams Winter Lager, so I snatched up 2 or 3 of the 4 they had left only to find at the register that you have to get 6 of the brews in order for them to ring up!!! And I didn't want any of the other crap they had there....grrrrr.

So now I'm stuck sitting in my Vienna hotel room, sipping on some Guinness nitro can in a glass, waiting until October.

Edited by AsburySkinsFan

Having a few bottles of DFH Raison D'Etre. This is the first time I've had this stuff as my first beers of the night. Must say, it's delicious, but what's new when it comes to DFH?

Seriously, I've had at least 10 different kinds of DFH, and have only complained about one...the 120 minute IPA. Think I'll hit up the Alehouse this weekend and try some new stuff out...will probably go for the Palo Santo first.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

picked up a 6er of 'ruination' IPA made by stone brewing co. http://www.stonebrew.com/ruin/

good stuff. hop heads like skinsfan1311 would approve.

7 point something ABV- not too high, so you can enjoy one or 2. dry, hoppy finish. quite satisfying. reminiscent of a slightly 'lighter' loose cannon. similar to SV torpedo pale ale.

picked it up at shoppers in germantown. best prices around, decent selection.

also had a few beers at the pratt street bar and grill in baltimore this weekend. very good beers there- apparently made on site. must have had 15 different kinds of 'home made' beers. had an oatmeal stout and something else hoppy. i recommend it. of course, the table next to us was ordering miller lites by the dozen. i wanted to throw things at them.......

picked up a 6er of 'ruination' IPA made by stone brewing co. http://www.stonebrew.com/ruin/

good stuff. hop heads like skinsfan1311 would approve.

7 point something ABV- not too high, so you can enjoy one or 2. dry, hoppy finish. quite satisfying. reminiscent of a slightly 'lighter' loose cannon. similar to SV torpedo pale ale.

Agreed. I've had Ruination and it is very good.

Think I'm gonna head to the store after work today with the intent on spending a pretty penny on some beer. Will probably go after the Palo Santo Marron and Olde School Barleywine, a bottle of Arrogant ****, perhaps even a Trappist Rochefort. Will try to see what else I can get my hands on.

They have some pretty weird Dogfish Head brews in bigger bottles (24 oz?). Pangaea, Burton Baton, Theobroma, Zwaanendale. From what I remember, the descriptions on the bottle essentially described how incredible ancient these recipes were. Might do a little eenie, meenie, miney, moe action today.

Think I'm gonna head to the store after work today with the intent on spending a pretty penny on some beer. Will probably go after the Palo Santo Marron and Olde School Barleywine, a bottle of Arrogant ****, perhaps even a Trappist Rochefort. Will try to see what else I can get my hands on.

They have some pretty weird Dogfish Head brews in bigger bottles (24 oz?). Pangaea, Burton Baton, Theobroma, Zwaanendale. From what I remember, the descriptions on the bottle essentially described how incredible ancient these recipes were. Might do a little eenie, meenie, miney, moe action today.

If you're buying bombers, check out the Heavy Seas Big DIPA,(if you're into hops). They're limited edition, but they may still have some. They may also have Heavy Seas Siren Noire, which is an incredible stout...

Palo-Santo-Marron_beer_medium.jpg

Well I didn't get up to the beer store I wanted to today, but I still got my hands on some Palo Santo. Was bottled on 5/27/09.

Smell: First smell is lovely. A dark but powerful malty smell that consists of chocolate, fruits and I'm guessing the Palo Santo wood. Very unique smell, hella-pungent, but trust me, that's a good thing.

Taste/Palate: First impression was that this has a few characteristics of a fine chocolate wine; and it really felt like one on the palate. It hides the alcohol very well as far as I'm concerned. The aftertaste dissipates quickly, which makes the alcohol kind of peak its head out. Not that you notice the alcohol, but I'm guessing that's what sort of makes it seem medicinal a few seconds after the opening blast of taste.

I will say that though that the aftertaste hardly takes away from the enjoyment of this beer. It is a thick-bodied, dried/dark fruit dynamo that really just makes me shake my head with amazement after every sip. Yeah, the aftertaste ends the initial onslaught of taste abruptly, and usually something that "nitpickish" could go without mentioning, but I spent $15.36 on a four pack of this god damned stuff today.

Overall I give this brew an A-. The only reason it doesnt get a better version of "A" is because I like beers that will remind you of their greatness with the aftertaste. And I'm not even talking about something that lingers like a jealous ex girlfriend, just something that doesn't go away altogether. After about 10 seconds a bland, medicinal layer of sediment seems to be lining the inside of your mouth. However, there isn't a lot of beer that is better to wash that away with than Palo Santo Marron.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

There is a place in Frederick called The Ye Ole Spirit Shop where you can build six packs from what ever type of beer in the store. They charge you per bottle and give you a 10 percent discount. Their selection is pretty impressive, can't wait to build a nice case tomorrow.

rochefort-8-e1260106091392.jpg

B+ or an A.

Trappistes Rochefort #8

Appearance: Cloudy caramel color, lots of fine sediment, ivory colored head of moderate density, head built quickly and dissipated slowly. Not a lot of apparent effervescence, sediment hangs in the brew instead of falling to the bottom of the glass. Very cloudy, I can't tell if its the brew that is blocking the light or the sediment I'm thinking maybe both.

Aroma:

Not a lot of strong smells, but the first wiff had some nice sweet hints, after swirling you can get the malts, but still not really strong like an Imperial Stout.

Taste:

Complex; some spices that are not hops but it has a nice balance of malts, with some hoppy bitterness on the back of the tongue. Hints of sweetness like light vanilla or banana. No apparent alcohol taste. Aftertaste is mostly malts with some woodiness.

Mouthfeel:

Medium body a nice balance between an Irish Ale and an Imperial Stout. More effervescent than I was expecting, some light sweet fruitiness that hangs as well.

Overall Impressions:

It was good, but quite honestly I'd rather have the #6. I was kinda disappointed because of how much I really liked the #6, this is still a very fine brew, you can taste the complexities in the brew which really shows how much work goes into the brew, but give me the #6.

Edited by AsburySkinsFan