Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

What's your choice of beer after mowing the grass or when you want something that's smooth and goes down easy without dissecting the flavors and smells that a lot of other beers have to offer?

Desani. I only drink at night when I know I won't be driving at all. But, my go to evening brew is a Sam Adams Boston Lager, and in the wintertime it is the Sam Adams Winter Lager.

:ols:

yeah, I changed my mind after looking at their selection...the owner gave me a shot of some high quality tequila and a margarita on the house.

Friday night....thats when im going to drink my face off

Drink whatever you think tastes good, and don't worry about what we "beer snobs" think.

Just be careful when you "drink your face off"

Some people, (gasp!), don't even like beer.

Anyone try the Trader Joe's Blonde Ale from, duh, Trader Joe's?

Got a 6pack for post recovery (jaw surgery) and now that I am off the vicodin will be opening a bottle (or two) this week...don't drink a lot of beers these days...just wondering if anyone else gets the TJ's beers...

Edited by The Evil Genius

Anyone try the Trader Joe's Blonde Ale from, duh, Trader Joe's?

Got a 6pack for post recovery (jaw surgery) and now that I am off the vicodin will be opening a bottle this week...

I've had the Trader Joes "frugal joe" and thought it was decent, I have not had the blonde ale though.

Does vicodin have acetometophine in it? If it doesn't I would wash one of those puppies down with ........ Nevermind. :silly: thinking back to my Rugby days. :ols:

I've had the Trader Joes "frugal joe" and thought it was decent, I have not had the blonde ale though.

Does vicodin have acetometophine in it? If it doesn't I would wash one of those puppies down with ........ Nevermind. :silly: thinking back to my Rugby days. :ols:

Yes, it does. It was the only painkiller I could take post surgery since it doesn't cause bleeding.

Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter

gonzoPOrter.jpeg

Poors black with a touch of mahogany. Caramel head develops late and doesn't last too long, leaves a pretty good lacing though.

On the packs of Flying Dog beers they have a scale of how hoppy and how malty the given beer is. This one had a very low hop level, but I think the smell of citrus hops is apparent. Other than that there's dark fruit, caramel, dark chocolate and regular chocolate on the nose.

Again, I would have thought there's more of a hop level in this beer than they rate on the scale. The taste is bitter almost from the get-go. Not to make it sound like an IPA, but relative to other Porters/Stouts it definitely has some bite to it. Citrus hops and dark fruits...It's toasted, roasted, and a strong undertone of dark chocolate.

About 30 seconds to a minute after taking a sip I notice a bland cardboard kind of taste take over. Not exactly the best aftertaste. I also think this beer would be great if they gave it a fuller body. The mouthfeel is pretty weak.

Not too bad of a brew, but at the same price I will always choose the Peg Leg. Don't see myself getting this again any time soon, but don't let that prevent you from trying it. There are some good qualities to this beer. C+

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

I tried some of Flying Dog's Horn Dog Barley Wine ale the other day since I was still on the Sierra Nevada Bigfoot kick.

If you haven't tried a barley wine, then I'd recommend it. They're obviously very high in alcohol content and are made for sipping. Wikipedia says that the name comes from the beverage potentially being as strong as wine, but since it's made from grain and not fruit it's technically a beer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barley_wine

A barley wine typically reaches an alcohol strength of 8 to 12% by volume and is brewed from specific gravities as high as 1.120. It is called a barley wine because it can be as strong as wine; but since it is made from grain rather than fruit, it is, in fact, a beer.

Most barley wines range in colour from amber to deep reddish-browns, though until the introduction of Whitbread Gold Label in the 1950s, British barley wines were always dark in colour. All are rich and full-flavored.

Writer Michael Jackson referred to a barley wine by Smithwick's thus: "This is very distinctive, with an earthy hoppiness, a wineyness, lots of fruit and toffee flavours." He also noted that its original gravity is 1.062.[3]

According to Martyn Cornell, "no historically meaningful difference exists between barley wines and old ales."

This makes sense to me. I'd much rather sip on one of these than a glass of wine after work.

But anyway, since the Flying Dog and the Bigfoot are the only barley wines I've had, I'm not sure how much I can offer other than just comparing the two. The Flying Dog has a higher ABV than the Bigfoot but the Bigfoot tastes like a stronger brew. The Sierra Nevada also had a more pleasantly aromatic smell. They both appeared to be similar in color w/ the Horn Dog being a little darker. And despite the stronger "alcohol" taste of the Bigfoot, I think it also had a more complex overall flavor (in a good way) than the Flying Dog. I remember the Bigfoot being less-filling and didn't pour with quite as much head as the Flying Dog. Neither tasted particularly malty or hoppy, the taste of each (and maybe barley wines in general) leans more toward balanced and strong.

So in a nutshell, I liked Sierra Nevada's version better than Flying Dog's version. And if you've never had a barley wine I'd start with the Bigfoot if it's available in your area. Although, you can't go wrong with Flying Dog's version if that's all you have access to. IMO, all beers have a 'best' time and place to drink them and for a barley wine, I'd say the best time and place for one is at home or at the pub, after a stressful/long day and not on an empty stomach, but not when you're completely full either. Also for food pairing, I think a barley wine would make a good complement to a BBQ'd meal straight off the grill at home.

50.jpg

vs

2010.jpg

(these aren't my pics BTW)

Edited by #98QBKiller

On a sad note, my keg of Loose Cannon ran out last night.

Can my beer bretheren please have a moment of silence or, better yet, hoist a pint in memory of the dearly departed keg?

Thank you.

I feel for you. That's a good brew.

Has anyone tried one of those fridge kegs yet from Miller Light, and Coors light?

I know I know.....they arent fancy beers....just wanted to see if anyone had tried them.....

About 6 months ago I got a fridge keg of Heineken. To me it's basically another way to overprice beer. Put it in something cool looking and slap a larger price tag on it.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

I tried some of Flying Dog's Horn Dog Barley Wine ale the other day since I was still on the Sierra Nevada Bigfoot kick.

If you haven't tried a barley wine, then I'd recommend it. They're obviously very high in alcohol content and are made for sipping. Wikipedia says that the name comes from the beverage potentially being as strong as wine, but since it's made from grain and not fruit it's technically a beer.

This makes sense to me. I'd much rather sip on one of these than a glass of wine after work.

Ah, yes ... the old barley wine. I was born, raised and began my drinking in England before moving to America. I didn't drink it regularly as there were far too many good ales to sample when drinking socially but on party nights we used to drink Watneys "Stingo" on the way. The bottles were smaller than regular beer (probably just enough to fit in a reg wine glass) but you get a couple of those under your belt on a empty stomach and we'd hit the ground running.

Rumor was they called it "wine" because they couldn't legally sell it as beer. It was just too strong. Definately an aquired taste.

:helmet:

Ah, yes ... the old barley wine. Definately an aquired taste.

:helmet:

If you like barleywine style, then try to get you hands on some Heavy Seas Below Decks. It's very malty and ,even for a hop-head like me, it's delicious.

It's actually vintage dated and is meant to be aged. I have a few bottles left from '06, '07 & ,'08 and I'm definitely going to get my hands on some of the '09. It's absolutely amazing the way it evolves as it ages.

The ABV is around 10% and it's definitely a "winter warmer" type beer. When you drink the barleywines, you definitely need to let it warm up, (i.e. 45-50 degrees), to get all of the flavor profiles. There's a lot going on in that beer and it's all good.

If you like barleywine style, then try to get you hands on some Heavy Seas Below Decks. It's very malty and ,even for a hop-head like me, it's delicious.

It's actually vintage dated and is meant to be aged. I have a few bottles left from '06, '07 & ,'08 and I'm definitely going to get my hands on some of the '09. It's absolutely amazing the way it evolves as it ages.

The ABV is around 10% and it's definitely a "winter warmer" type beer. When you drink the barleywines, you definitely need to let it warm up, (i.e. 45-50 degrees), to get all of the flavor profiles. There's a lot going on in that beer and it's all good.

Sounds tasty man. We're making our monthly trek out to Total Wine this weekend, I'll look for it.