Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

I loved the Smutty Nose Porter, so I mixed a six pack and thru in a couple Smutty Nose IPA. It's dry hopped so there is tons of bitterness and lots of sediment floating around. The smell is nice and has a very strong citrus/piney taste. There is a very strong lingering bitterness, a really nice IPA.

Blue Moon is amazing...:drool:

Got a 12 of Blue Moon today. Had some Budweiser yesterday. I'm perfectly cool with macro brews. If I were to grade them I'd have to do it on a different scale than the craft brews. I personally don't consider craft and macro beers the same kind of beverage.

Great Divide Denver Pale Ale is a sweet smelling beer, the taste is nutty, kind of reminds me of a nut brown ale. There is a little bit of hoppiness, it's a pretty decent beer that is very drinkable.

I am glad I only put one of these in my 6 pack yesterday, leaving more room for a Great Divide Belgian IPA(thought it was very good, but didn't come close to Flying Dogs Raging *****), a couple of Raging ****es and Smutty Nose IPA's.

Sipping on a ice cold Foster's right now. Who knows what I'll be drinking when I go back to Italy.

If you like ice cold Foster's, then you will probably like Peroni, Nastro Azzuro or Birra Moretti.

They're all lagers and they're pretty crisp and refreshing.

Because of Italy's proximity to the rest of Europe, you'll have access to all kinds of great beer.

Go for the German beers, get 'em on draft, when possible.

There are numerous beers that we can't get stateside.

Enjoy!

Edited by Skinsfan1311

Dogfish Head Midas Touch Golden Elixir

midas.JPG

After a long time of thinking about it, I finally got this beer. Pours gold with an off white head and an active carbonation of fine bubbles. Decent lacing, head didn't stay around too long.

Aroma is a blast of sweet malt with honey and caramel. A pretty strong citrus hop characteristic in there as well. Very thick and powerful smell to it.

Taste right away reminds you of a barley wine. In fact if I didn't know any better, I'd consider this one. Very, very malty, and a thick mouthfeel. The alcohol is noticeable but extremely complimentary, as it carefully heats up the back of the throat after each swallow. The taste is a syrupy malt up front, citrus hops right when you start swirling it around. A little honey and a tiny bit of caramel are in there.

This beer is crazy good. In my opinion it's underrated, even as highly rated as it is. It has a great mix of qualities to it that make it one of the most well put-together beers I've ever had.

A (95)

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Harpoon IPA

widget_aQN3D7v8jdqzZk5tN8OsVA.jpg

Pours a very clear dark orange with a fluffy white head. Distinct aroma of citrus hops, a nice touch of pine in there, sweet caramel malt. Great smell. Spotty, but good-looking lacing around the glass.

The taste is bitter, but it's MORE bland. Definitely my first experience tasting an IPA with this kind of character. It tastes like grapefruit and grass hops all the way through, but it really blankets the tastebuds with coat of blandness. It really takes away from what I like about IPAs, which is powerful, yet methodically flavored bitterness. This is more towards non-flavored bitterness. It's a fairly dry mouthfeel, it all equals out to be a pretty chalky beer.

The look and aroma of this beer lead me on, but I'm just not feeling it too much. I really love IPAs, so excuse me if I'm being too harsh.

C- (71)

Picked up three 6'ers of Raging *****, a 6'er of Flying Dog IPA, a sixer of Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, and a 18 pack of Miller Lite for the beach this weekend.

The only beer they had warm was the miller lite. So I just finished mowing the grass, had a couple glasses of water, and I am having a Cherry Wheat. I have had these before and enjoyed them, but after mowing the grass, a(or a few) nice crisp freezing cold miller lite is hard to beat.

You beer snobs should try it some time. ;)

Harpoon IPA

The look and aroma of this beer lead me on, but I'm just not feeling it too much. I really love IPAs, so excuse me if I'm being too harsh.

C- (71)

i think i'm with you on the harpoon. i bought a mixed 12 pack of harpoon and the IPA was by far the best, but as an IPA its not that great. their others beers i've tried were like water.

Picked up three 6'ers of Raging *****, a 6'er of Flying Dog IPA, a sixer of Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, and a 18 pack of Miller Lite for the beach this weekend.

The only beer they had warm was the miller lite. So I just finished mowing the grass, had a couple glasses of water, and I am having a Cherry Wheat. I have had these before and enjoyed them, but after mowing the grass, a(or a few) nice crisp freezing cold miller lite is hard to beat.

You beer snobs should try it some time. ;)

you might be the only person i know who likes miller lite and those other beers :)

i'm not really a beer snob- i drink busch light if i'm playing disc golf (or generally during the daytime). i drank coors light on the ball golf course today, too. miller lite, to me, has an extremely bland flavor that i cant get into. i feel like i'm drinking carbonated water. but i think its more like that in the bottle or can as opposed to draft.

you might be the only person i know who likes miller lite and those other beers :)

t.

Still can't get into Flying Dogs Raging *****?

I think its a great beer and by far one of my favorites. The majority of people I talk to really like it and are disappointed with its limited production in 6 packs. You should try it again.

Their Snakedog IPA is decent, it just doesn't have a ton of after taste. As for the Cherry Wheat, it will be really good with sausage gravy and biscuits this weekend. :)

Harpoon IPA

widget_aQN3D7v8jdqzZk5tN8OsVA.jpg

It's a fairly dry mouthfeel, it all equals out to be a pretty chalky beer.

C- (71)

I've only ever had it on draft and it was good, but not definitely not "kegworthy" The bitterness is just not enought to warrant even a six-pack purchase.

That being said, I will admit that I had a few in Vermont, and the brewery is in New England, so maybe it was really fresh?

The liquor store closes on Saturday so I went in today and the manager sold me beer for 30% off.

Got two sixers of Heavy Seas Loose Cannon for a $6.99 each. Got a four pack of Sam Adams Doublebock for $6.50, and a six of Birra Moretti La Rossa Doppelbock for $7.20.

That's a damn good price on the Loose Cannon.

I'm looking forward to your review of the Birra Moretti. I didn't realize that they even brewed a dopplebock. My curiosity is peaked.

I lived in Naples, Italy, for 4 years, (albeit it was a while back), and thought I tried every beer that Moretti had to offer.

:whoknows:

I prefer the Lagunitas IPA...

I'll get that next time I go to the store I got the Maximus at.

I like it better than the Blackberry.

Same here :ols:

I've only ever had it on draft and it was good, but not definitely not "kegworthy" The bitterness is just not enought to warrant even a six-pack purchase.

Yeah, not a lot of bitterness, they seemed to substitute bitterness with blandness.

That's a damn good price on the Loose Cannon.

I'm looking forward to your review of the Birra Moretti. I didn't realize that they even brewed a dopplebock. My curiosity is peaked.

I lived in Naples, Italy, for 4 years, (albeit it was a while back), and thought I tried every beer that Moretti had to offer.

:whoknows:

This will be the first Moretti I've had, did you like their stuff? I had 3 Loose Cannon's for dinner yesterday and called it a night. I must say that it's my favorite IPA, the only problem being that I drink it too fast. It's one of those beers that is so scrumptious that every time you look at the glass you realize it's almost time for a refill.

Still can't get into Flying Dogs Raging *****?

I think its a great beer and by far one of my favorites. The majority of people I talk to really like it and are disappointed with its limited production in 6 packs. You should try it again.

Their Snakedog IPA is decent, it just doesn't have a ton of after taste. As for the Cherry Wheat, it will be really good with sausage gravy and biscuits this weekend. :)

i've bought the raging ***** twice, and i've convinced that both times, i've gotten a bad batch. i can tell that theres a beer in there, though, that i'd like. it just had a bizzare, plastic like, band aid taste. even my dad said the same thing, and he likes many of the same beers i like.

i've gotten at least one other bad sixer from flying dog (the classic pale ale- tasted sort of 'moldy', not like a band aid like the raging *****, and i've had that stuff many times) i just finally got more flying dog the other day- the IPA- after not wanting to get any for awhile. no problems with this batch.

Edited by grego

I haven't reviewed this since I've learned about the complexities of beer, so here goes..

Heavy Seas Loose Cannon Hop3 IPA

photo1-225x300.jpg

Transparent dark orange. Off-white head with fantastic lacing. Fine bubbles slowly make their way up.

Aroma is an extremely delightful whiff of citrus and flower hops and caramel malt. Easily one of the most pleasant aromas I've come across in the beer world.

Taste is citrus and flower hops with a caramel undertone. Mouthfeel is slightly thick and carbonation is medium. The taste of hops is present from start to finish. The aftertaste fades in to a very subtle caramel malt and hop bitterness that only makes you want to take another sip.

Before reviewing this I told myself not to be biased because of how much I seem to favor it. It's always been a sipper for me, not something I try to dissect. But it passed the test. While it's not extremely complex, it's certainly awesome at satisfying the taste buds. I honestly can't find anything questionable about this beer, great look, mouth watering aroma, great taste. There are other beers out there that impress with complexity more than this one, but this beer does what it's supposed to do, taste amazing.

A (95)

I got married in St. Lucia in Jan, had "Peton" beer. Loved it! Double, have you ever had one? They don't export them to America due to cost, but you can get them shipped.

Went to St. Lucia for two weeks a few years ago and had plenty of Peton. Pretty good beer. One of my favorite things from St Lucia is that yellow Barons hot sauce.

Went to St. Lucia for two weeks a few years ago and had plenty of Peton. Pretty good beer. One of my favorite things from St Lucia is that yellow Barons hot sauce.

My father in law brings a bunch of the barons back with him every time he goes. They have a 3 bedroom 3 full bath condo in Marigot Bay that they rent out. I love that hot sauce myself. Id see little kids on the street drinking the Peton Shady drinks (like a Mikes hard Lemonade, but not as much alcohol)

If anyone wants to take a vacation down there, send me a PM and I can get you an awesome,awesome deal on the Pelican House, in Marigot Bay. (My father in laws house) Google "Pelican House, St. Lucia and PM me if it interests you.

But yeah, love drinking a cold Peton on the beach.

Birra Moretti La Rossa Doppelbock

LA+Rossa.jpg

Pours transparent mahogany with off white head, not much lacing.

Pretty light aroma of caramel malt, bread, toast, dark fruits and chocolate.

Taste is a *****-smack of very sweet caramel with a touch of dark fruits and a slight hop bitterness to finish it off. Medium body and medium/high carbonation.

This beer ain't bad, but a few sips in to my second helping and I'm admittedly sick of it. A consistent onslaught of caramel makes even a healthy child get a stomach ache. Add alcohol and age to the mix and you got a bad combo. Not to say this isn't good, but it gets old pretty quickly.

C+ (79)

Samuel Adams Imperial Double Bock

Sam_Adams_Double_Bock_200.jpg

Dark brown and maroon with a small off-white head that goes away fast with no lacing.

Aroma is a dank whiff of dark fruits, with caramel and roasted malts right there with it. Smell is pretty darn hefty, and I like it.

Taste is roasted malts and caramel right away, with dark fruit being the backbone. The initial taste goes away pretty quickly. A slight touch of hops slowly comes forward and the malt settles real nicely. Body and carbonation are medium, it's very drinkable.

I really enjoy this beer. It has that strong double bock caramel roasted malt kick, but it doesn't last long. The aftertaste is subtle, perhaps a little too subtle, but it's what makes it drinkable. My opinion is that this should be a little cheaper, but it's nonetheless tasty.

B+ (88)

I'll get that next time I go to the store I got the Maximus at.

Same here :ols:

Yeah, not a lot of bitterness, they seemed to substitute bitterness with blandness.

This will be the first Moretti I've had, did you like their stuff? I had 3 Loose Cannon's for dinner yesterday and called it a night. I must say that it's my favorite IPA, the only problem being that I drink it too fast. It's one of those beers that is so scrumptious that every time you look at the glass you realize it's almost time for a refill.

The Moretti is like most Italian beers that I've had. Refreshing lagers, but not real memorable.

I got married in St. Lucia in Jan, had "Peton" beer. Loved it! Double, have you ever had one? They don't export them to America due to cost, but you can get them shipped.

I'm not Double, but I drank a lot of it when we stayed in St. Lucia. It's pretty good, but there's something about the Caribbean that makes most beers taste good. Must be the heat, humidity and the sunshine.

BTW, one of my most memorable dives, was at the base of the Pitons. At approximately 110', the base of one of them meets the ocean floor. The visibility is superb and it was teeming with life. I saw the biggest school of barracuda that I've ever seen above us, there were hundreds 'em. It was kind of eerie. I also saw a huge grouper. Truthfully, the grouper made me more nervous. It was huge and very close.

Back to the beer. It seems to me that beers that taste great in the Caribbean, aren't so great when you have them stateside. Part of the reason is that vacation mode that seems to make everything good...and the other reason, IMO, is the way that the beer was handled. I'm sure that a lot of it is exposed to heat and light, which is a sure-fire way to ruin it...

Gimme a Samichlaus please;

6245.jpg

Samichlaus Bier

“Samichlaus” beer is brewed once a year, in each case on December 6th, and stored and matured afterwards for over 10 months before it is bottled. "Samichlaus” beer can mature for many years in the bottle; older vintages obtain a complexity and receive their creamy warm aftertaste. This beer can be served with heavy meals and desserts, particularly with chocolate - or as digestive and meditations drink. According to the Guinness Book of Records, it is the strongest lager beer in the world with 14 % alcohol