Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

This is what I am drinking right now. It's freakin awesome! Clipper City/Heavy Seas makes some great brew

when i first had the loose cannon about 2 years ago, i said that it was the best beer i had ever had. good stuff.

had some at the frederick beer festival yesterday. had some barley and hops, fying dog (the raging ***** was good- no band aid taste this time :) ), franklins (looked kind of like a mom and pop operation, but the IPA was really good), some german type of breweries' stout, johannsons (or something like that- it was getting late and hazy when i found them), brewers alley kolsh and IPA, some kind of sweet ale (too sweet for me) from, i believe, duclaws, and a few others i cant recall.

Thinking about getting something from Southern Tier today...any suggestions?

Everything I've had from them has been fantastic.

Chokolat might be my favorite non-barrel aged stout

Unearthy is a great DIPA

Iniquity is an awesome black IPA

I have three more my brother sent me I haven yet to taste. I'll throw a couple in the fridge for tonight.

Delirium Pint+ bottle(white glass bottle, pink elephants, dragons and alligators) is quite the beer. Very fruity belgian pale ale. It packs a pretty heavy punch, when we head back to the beach, I will be feeling pretty good. :)

I'm really digging it.

The Moretti is like most Italian beers that I've had. Refreshing lagers, but not real memorable.

I'm not Double, but I drank a lot of it when we stayed in St. Lucia. It's pretty good, but there's something about the Caribbean that makes most beers taste good. Must be the heat, humidity and the sunshine.

BTW, one of my most memorable dives, was at the base of the Pitons. At approximately 110', the base of one of them meets the ocean floor. The visibility is superb and it was teeming with life. I saw the biggest school of barracuda that I've ever seen above us, there were hundreds 'em. It was kind of eerie. I also saw a huge grouper. Truthfully, the grouper made me more nervous. It was huge and very close.

Back to the beer. It seems to me that beers that taste great in the Caribbean, aren't so great when you have them stateside. Part of the reason is that vacation mode that seems to make everything good...and the other reason, IMO, is the way that the beer was handled. I'm sure that a lot of it is exposed to heat and light, which is a sure-fire way to ruin it...

I never thought of the handling intransport... very good point. As far as vacation mode goes, you might be on to something, but i just loved the taste of the Petons. It might be because they are more directly from the brewery then beer we get state side (for the most part) but yeah vacation mode may play a role. Drop me an email if you ever plan on going back. I can defget you a break on my father in laws place.

I did a bunch of dives in St. Lucia as well 13. We stayed at the Sandals Grand St.Lucian and dove mostly around Pigeon Island. In the 2 weeks we were there, we went out almost every day on the free dives the resort offered. The sand keys is one of my favorite places to dive because of the abundance of shark, St.Lucia offered tons of turtles, and octopus, which was really cool.

I did a bunch of dives in St. Lucia as well 13. We stayed at the Sandals Grand St.Lucian and dove mostly around Pigeon Island. In the 2 weeks we were there, we went out almost every day on the free dives the resort offered. The sand keys is one of my favorite places to dive because of the abundance of shark, St.Lucia offered tons of turtles, and octopus, which was really cool.

Caught a fifty pound Wahoo just east... i think, of pigeon island. My father in law is a Master Diver and he loves St. Lucia bc of the visibility and gentle current of the water. He says it is much better diving then the atlantic side, Im learning to dive so i cango out with them as well.

Not a beer, but did any of you guys try the Chairmans Rum from St. Lucia while you were there?

Yuengling Black and Tans tonight. Anybody else like these? Probably my favorite cheap beer.

Absolutely!

It is, hands down, my favorite cheap beer. I just can't bring myself to drink it when it's this hot & humid.

As this is being typed, I'm enjoying a Victory Hop Devil, on draft....

I never thought of the handling intransport... very good point. As far as vacation mode goes, you might be on to something, but i just loved the taste of the Petons. It might be because they are more directly from the brewery then beer we get state side (for the most part) but yeah vacation mode may play a role. Drop me an email if you ever plan on going back. I can defget you a break on my father in laws place.

Stew,

I sincerely appreciate that. We go to the Caribbean every year and loved St. Lucia. We're headed to Coz this year, but we haven't decided on next year. I'll shoot definitely drop you an e-mail if we go back to St. Lucia

Same here. As far as "resort dives" go, these were top notch.

Gimme a Samichlaus please;

“Samichlaus” beer is brewed once a year, in each case on December 6th, and stored and matured afterwards for over 10 months before it is bottled. "Samichlaus” beer can mature for many years in the bottle; older vintages obtain a complexity and receive their creamy warm aftertaste. This beer can be served with heavy meals and desserts, particularly with chocolate - or as digestive and meditations drink. According to the Guinness Book of Records, it is the strongest lager beer in the world with 14 % alcohol

Sounds good. Have you ever drank it? If so, whattya think?

Heavy Seas The Big DIPA

heavyseas_big_dipa.jpg

Amber, semi transparent with a little bit of sediment floating around. Fluffy off-white head with a lot of spotty lacing.

Great smell of citrus and pine hops with a strong caramel along with it.

Taste isn't a huge kick of hops as I anticipated, in fact I had to really move my tongue around a lot to get the hop level I expected. This beer has a huge caramel malt characteristic, which steals the spotlight from the hops, honestly. I'm also getting the numbing feeling of alcohol.

Palate is heavy bodied, which is a great combo with these malts.. The alcohol is very noticeable, it numbs your tongue a bit and heats the entire esophagus. Aftertaste is mostly a subtle hop tone.

Damn man, I'm actually quite torn on this one. It just doesn't have enough of an overall hop kick to it. I mean, I'd question if this beer is even an IPA, much less a DIPA. However, it's got a great malty taste backed by a nice hop undertone. So I have to judge it two ways, actually, make that three. One, it doesn't seem like a DIPA at all, two, it's actually a damn good malt powerhouse. Three...well...just judging it as a beer alone:

B (86)

Sierra Nevada Harvest Fresh Hop Ale 2010

Sierra%2BNevada%2BHarvest%2BFresh%2BHop%2BAle.jpg

Just a background on this brew: They use prime hops picked and dried in New Zealand and then rush them to the brewery in California. So let's see how these extremely fresh hops compare to other IPAs...

Pours a dark amber with a spongy yellow head. Lacing is thick, kind of like beached salt sediment when low tide hits.

Floral and citrus aroma with a subtle malt. Pretty good. It has been a few minutes and the head is still slow to subside; again, the lacing is fantastic.

Taste is an extremely bitter tone that I have to imagine comes from how fresh the hops are. Grapefruit skin, grass, pine, a small malt undertone to go along with it. The key here is that the taste isn't too heavy. Aftertaste is grapefruit hops all the way.

This beer is fantastic, very refreshing. It has a dominating characteristic of sharp bitterness, yet it's very drinkable. It's easy to appreciate the urgency put in to the freshness of the hops.

A (93)

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

This beer is easily in my top three, if you haven't tried it, check it out.

Ive had that before...its pretty good. I liked my Magic Hat no.9 a little more though :whoknows:

If you havent tried this already, I highly recommend it...one of the best beers I've ever had - Belhaven Scottish Ale

belhavenHor2.jpg

Edited by The Brave Little Toaster Oven

One of the worst beers I've ever had was the Magic Hat Wacko. Just ****ing burn your money and enjoy the fire instead of spending it on that.

Tonight I'm finishing up a Sam Adams Longshot Variety Pack (fabulous) and a couple of my absolute favorite beers, the Flying Dog Double Dog Double Pale Ale.

Just a note on the Flying Dog, I knew this beer was too good to be true...I saw it listed as having 300+ calories a 12 oz bottle. Good freakin' lord. They should include coupons for liposuction surgery.

Its impossible to like Magic Hat more than Delirium Tremons, lol.

What's wrong with you boy?

Never had the Scottish ale though, ill keep my eyes open.

:ols: I dont know, its kinda hard to remember, but I definitely thought it was good.

If you havent been to the Lost Dog Cafe in Arlington, I recommend it...good food, and Delirium beer as well as the Scottish Ale