Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

I believe it.

Max's has a great selection, and we live about 15-20 minutes away, but we seldom go there. Parking and the whole downtown scene is kind of a hassle.

What's sad is that grocery stores in CA have a better selection of craft brews than many local liquor stores.

For my fellow beer lovers, (and those who live nearby), we ought to organize a "field trip" to the Clipper City Brewery for one of their tours. They're relatively close, (exit 9 off of the Baltimore beltway). They offer two tours every Saturday. The tours are free or $5.00 if you want a pint glass and 6 samples. They're typically entertaining, informative and fun.

I'll be tied up over the next few Saturdays, but if any of you guys are up for it, shoot me a PM and I'll get all of the info and throw it together. I think that if we get enough interest, (10+ people maybe?), that we can get a private tour.

I love Max's. I'm actually going down there this Saturday!

Max's is awesome. It is trouble though. I keep seeing beers that I want to try and it gets expensive. I live in Canton, so it is a short taxi ride to get there.

Yeah its definitely not cheap. I live in North Baltimore so a cab ride isn't as cheap lol. I think when we went down there a few weeks ago it was like $40 for a cab ride one way. Its insane! But Max's does have a great selection!

Yeah its definitely not cheap. I live in North Baltimore so a cab ride isn't as cheap lol. I think when we went down there a few weeks ago it was like $40 for a cab ride one way. Its insane! But Max's does have a great selection!

Damn straight.

For the price of 2 of those cab rides, I can by an entire keg of craft-brewed beer.....

That is crazy. Did the taxi driver take the fastest route? You have to be careful with the taxi drivers in Baltimore. I have had to correct a couple of them before. The taxi ride isn't bad from my house since I live right off of Eastern Ave.

That is crazy. Did the taxi driver take the fastest route? You have to be careful with the taxi drivers in Baltimore. I have had to correct a couple of them before. The taxi ride isn't bad from my house since I live right off of Eastern Ave.

Yeah we went right up 83 so its not like we sat at traffic lights. I can't remember the last time I've taken a cab downtown and not paid at least $30

Max's is awesome. It is trouble though. I keep seeing beers that I want to try and it gets expensive. I live in Canton, so it is a short taxi ride to get there.

Big Ass Beer Happy Hour is where it is at! Every Friday from 5-8, 32oz of all most any beer is only 6 bucks. Of course, this just compounds the need for a taxi.

If you have ever been to St. Lucia you know, but Peton beer is awesome. Its the sweet necter of heaven in a bottle. Too bad they ddon'texport to the USA

We spent a week in St. Lucia and they served Piton all over the place in both draft and bottles. It was pretty good, but I chalk that up to temps being in 90's while we were there, so it was very refreshing.

Is Clipper City Pale Ale any good? I'd love to go on a field trip, it's been like 10 years. But in the mean time I could pick up a 6'er.

Yes...it's pretty good.

That being said, (and I'm a big fan of Clipper City beers), I prefer Sierra Nevada Pale Ale over the Clipper City.

I have a couple of vacations coming up, but I'll start a thread for a Brewery tour in March/April

My g/f and I just went to Total Wine in Alexandria to get a 6-pack of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot and we ended up leaving with:

5 different six packs

two bottles of Champagne

one bottle of wine

Some of the highlights:

a mixed 6 pack with:

21st Amendment Watermelon Wheat

Clay Pipe Brewing Hop-Ocalypse IPA

Rogue Ale Mocha Porter

A****er Block Vanilla Java Porter <---lol to the profanity filters catching that (at-wa-ter in case you're wondering...not a bad word)

Anchor Steam Beer

Sea Dog Apricot Wheat

and of course:

noname-1.jpg

My g/f and I just went to Total Wine in Alexandria to get a 6-pack of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot and we ended up leaving with:

i am just going to have to break down and get a 6er of bigfoot. i read a few reviews and the hop factor i keep hearing is enough to make me try it out. of course, i read the same thing about the flying dog raging ***** and that was over the top. i'm not a big fan of syrupy or fruity beers. just getting ready to fishing my second 6er of SV torpedo in 2 weeks. good stuff.

5 different six packs

two bottles of Champagne

one bottle of wine

Some of the highlights:

a mixed 6 pack with:

21st Amendment Watermelon Wheat

Clay Pipe Brewing Hop-Ocalypse IPA

Rogue Ale Mocha Porter

A****er Block Vanilla Java Porter <---lol to the profanity filters catching that (at-wa-ter in case you're wondering...not a bad word)

Anchor Steam Beer

Sea Dog Apricot Wheat

and of course:

Please post and let us know what you think of the Bigfoot. I've never had it. I've only ever tried one Barley Wine style ale. Clipper City Heavy Seas Below Decks.

BelowDecks-303_0.jpg

I'm a hop-head and this stuff has strong malt flavors. Honestly, I can only drink them once in a while. It has an ABV of 10% and is definitely a winter beer. It's a seasonal beer with a very limited release. It ages very well. It's actually amazing how the flavors evolve over time.

I have a couple of bottles of 2006, a couple of bottles from 2008 and a couple of 4-packs from 2007.

I haven't had the Bigfoot since I was in New Orleans a few years ago and I'd already had a lot to drink at that point. But I do remember liking it a lot.

I would've tried one last night but they didn't have any in the cooler so I had to buy all of my beer from the sales floor.

I'll have an update later on tonight.

I'm a hop-head too, but I do remember liking the Bigfoot Ale a lot. It has an ABV of 9.6% and I remember it having a strong dark, malt flavor to it. I'll let you know for sure tonight once I get home.

Just tried one of the Bigfoot Ales. It's a dark amber color with a strong smoky smell that reminds me of being around a campfire drinking (a good thing IMO). It's pretty crisp and smooth despite the high ABV but you can definitely taste the 'alcohol-ness' at the finish.

I'm not very experienced with Barleywines but I can taste some definite hoppiness and I like it a lot. It's a slow-drinking beer but it hits the spot after a long day. IMO, another great beer from Sierra Nevada.

I tried Green Flash's Hop Head Red Ale last night at Brickskeller and I just want to say that this beer is probably now in my top 5 list. Anyone who is into hops will love this stuff. It was recommended by a friend and it delivered. Very hoppy beer with a slightly sweet and crisp aftertaste. I poured it into my glass and it smelled like someone opened a bag of weed in the room (not that I know anything about that :paranoid:). Very hoppy/herbal smell, nice amber color and despite all of the wonderful hoppiness, it manages to keep a pretty balanced taste with just enough malts, so enjoying more than one isn't going to get old with your tastebuds.

green-flash-hop-head-red-ale.jpg

Tried 2 more beers:

Loose Cannon Hop3 Ale: This beer is ridiculously delicious. It smells like flowers and has such a sweet hoppy taste. A hint of caramel also if I had to guess....let's just say there's a hint of awesome in it. It's so balanced and has the best tasting hops I've ever had. Granted, I'm still exploring. What a freakin' fantastic beer this is. It'll make you want some when you wake up to take a piss at night.

Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss: From reviewing a juggernaut of a brew to this is like reviewing Marvin Hagler's resume compared to the Amber-lamps guy. Holy shnikies is this beer awful. I mean yeah, it's geared towards women, but this makes those Smirnoff Ices seem like Sam Adams Millenniums. First off, you can taste the alcohol outright, and the Berry is overly-tart. This crap doesn't taste like beer what-so-ever. I am actually a fan of Leinie's Sunset Wheat and Summer Shandy (aka Fruit Loops and Lemonade), but this stuff is just putrid.

Bigfoot is a good one. It's one of a couple of barleywine type ales I've tried over the past few years. I don't consider myself a beer snob or anything,(but by the time one is my age,one has had a lot of beer),so take it for what it's worth.

Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss:[/color] From reviewing a juggernaut of a brew to this is like reviewing Marvin Hagler's resume compared to the Amber-lamps guy. Holy shnikies is this beer awful. I mean yeah, it's geared towards women, but this makes those Smirnoff Ices seem like Sam Adams Millenniums. First off, you can taste the alcohol outright, and the Berry is overly-tart. This crap doesn't taste like beer what-so-ever. I am actually a fan of Leinie's Sunset Wheat and Summer Shandy (aka Fruit Loops and Lemonade), but this stuff is just putrid.

every beer Leinenkugel's makes is the abomination you describe above...I know lots of folks like it I just dont see why this gimmickey brewery is so popular with people. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Warpath11

Went to Frisco Grille in Columbia for the first time this past weekend. Draft magazine voted it one of the top 150 beer bars in America. The selection isn't huge - but is very good. Had the Evolution IPA (very good!) and the Boulder Beer Mojo IPA on nitro (also quite tasty). Want to go back and try the food in the near future.

• 2 weeks later...
Anybody ever been to one of the Dogfish Head Alehouses? Thinking about going tonight, but it'll be a dinner thing, too. They have decent grub there? Are the prices of the beer lower, higher or the same as they normally are anywhere else?

I'm sure if you check my post history I've recommended that place at least 8-10 times on here.

It's my favorite casual restaurant in the area. Foods great, beer's even better. I highly recommend it.

The beer is about standard for what you'd pay for a premium beer on tap at a bar. Their selection is always rotating so they'll probably have some good seasonals. They usually have some good high-alcohols there too. I recommend the sampler, you get to try 6 or so 4 oz glasses of what they have on tap for like $8. It's definitely worth it IMO.

I've had a lot of different food items there too, mostly appetizers and sandwiches but everything's been delicious. I like their BBQ cheddar burger or the roast beef dip sammich. :drool: