Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

• 3 weeks later...

Texas Beer Is the Best Beer

The Brewers Association held its biannual World Beer Cup in Nashville, Tennessee last night, and Texas breweries won big—bringing home eleven medals. Austin’s Pinthouse Pizza won three of those medals, two of them for their Burnet Road brewpub and another for the South Lamar location. One of those medals was in the American-Style India Pale Ale (IPA) category, by far the largest category in the competition at 377 entries. 

Click on the link for the full article

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Maine Dinner keg is getting tapped at Downtown Crown at 5 pm today. Line up for tickets starts in 15 mins. Ive never heard of a Dinner making it outside the MBC brewery tap room, let alone this far down south so it is something special. Wish I could be there. 

RAR 1st meal stout is available for growler fills at Perfect Pour.

Cheers!

4 hours ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Maine Dinner keg is getting tapped at Downtown Crown at 5 pm today. Line up for tickets starts in 15 mins. Ive never heard of a Dinner making it outside the MBC brewery tap room, let alone this far down south so it is something special. Wish I could be there. 

Cheers!

Funny you posted this... first time I had MBC was a few months ago. Lunch on tap at a bar in National Harbor. Started looking for it after that and have grabbed a bottle of Peeper here and there.

Anyway, I visited Portland last weekend and on my “must stop” list was Maine Beer Company. They have a massive expansion underway, quadrupling their production. We’ll get a lot more of it our way soon. Their beer is REALLY good, even better on tap fresh at their facility. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2018 at 8:25 PM, skinsfan_1215 said:

Funny you posted this... first time I had MBC was a few months ago. Lunch on tap at a bar in National Harbor. Started looking for it after that and have grabbed a bottle of Peeper here and there.

Anyway, I visited Portland last weekend and on my “must stop” list was Maine Beer Company. They have a massive expansion underway, quadrupling their production. We’ll get a lot more of it our way soon. Their beer is REALLY good, even better on tap fresh at their facility. 

Nice. Peeper is alright. At 7.99 a bottle I pretty much only buy "lunch" or "another one". Their stout is pretty good. I heard from the main guy at perfect pour that they are greatly increasing their production line. I just want lunch and another one available 365 with a 5.99 price point.

RAR 1st meal - wow, amazing freaking stout, lots going on. I put it as slightly better than Praire Bomb. It should be in BA top 250 imo.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Wawa yesterday to console myself with alcohol after the tough loss, and went into the beer cooler they have there and everything is all IPA now. What gives? This IPA revolution has gone too far. Don't they got any other beers that ain't hopped up? Why can't we drink something normal? 

There was like one case of Leinenkuegel's berry shandy left. So your damn options in America are IPA, Bud Light, Mexican Cerveza and shandy 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

I went to Wawa yesterday to console myself with alcohol after the tough loss, and went into the beer cooler they have there and everything is all IPA now. What gives? This IPA revolution has gone too far. Don't they got any other beers that ain't hopped up? Why can't we drink something normal? 

There was like one case of Leinenkuegel's berry shandy left. So your damn options in America are IPA, Bud Light, Mexican Cerveza and shandy 

Wawas beer selection is going to be limited to mass produced drinking beers like budweiser or a shandy or some used to be craft beer now bought out by budweiser like devils backbone. IPA = instant profit (something) .. I forget what they call the A. Trendy, tasty ... IPAs sell. If i want to drink 3-6 beers in a sitting, its an IPA or a pale ale or a pilsner.

Stouts, gose, sours, farmhouses, barrell aged, instant fermenting beers .... they have their time and place but they arent an any time type beer. 

CBS - snagged a bottle from perfect pour. really excited. maybe thanksgiving, maybe christmas eve.

Maine lunch and another one - continue to be on the shelf, i continue to buy them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Kilmer17 said:

My local growler store has CBS on tap today!!!!

WOOHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leaving work shortly!

On tap? I didnt even know it came in kegs down here. Do you live up north? While were a it .. i  need an address and know whether i should bring my own glass.

Bells barrell aged their expedition stout and i grabbed a 4 pack. Expensive at $30/4 but beer advocate has it right there with CBS and others and I love me some expedition stout. I also like that it came in 4 12oz bottles ... I got the big bottle of CBS and I feel like I gotta wait until Im in the mood to drink 23 plus oz of BA high ABV stout.

• 2 weeks later...

So this is pretty cool.  Chico, California-based Sierra Nevada Brewing Company was close to the path of the devastating Camp Fire in California.  While the brewery itself was spared, up to 10 percent of its workforce lost homes. 

To raise funds for fire relief for all victims of the Camp Fire, Sierra Nevada has created an IPA called Resilience.

ResilienceButteCountyProudIPA-FEATURE.jp

100 percent of the proceeds will go to the Camp Fire Relief Fund. 

Here's an even cooler part to the story. Sierra Nevada's founder, Ken Grossman, has asked every craft brewer in America to join the effort by brewing the beer, and donating proceeds, and is openly sharing the recipe. 

The response so far has been amazing. Almost 600 brewers have agreed to join the effort so far.  Seven malt suppliers and and five hops suppliers have agreed to donate raw materials for the brewing. 

So look for Resilence on shelves in early 2019, and raise a glass to help the victims of the Camp Fire.

https://www.craftbeer.com/editors-picks/hundreds-of-breweries-tell-sierra-nevada-were-in-on-wildfire-relief-beer

Here's a list of participating brewers and suppliers:

https://www.sierranevada.com/resilience-butte-county-proud-ipa

Edited by Dan T.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

See where the almost $800,000 in PLCB grant money is going to help the Pa. beer industry

Gov. Tom Wolf earlier this week announced the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board (PLCB) has approved grants totaling $791,412 for 12 projects to increase the production of Pennsylvania-made malt and brewed beverages and enhance the Pennsylvania beer industry through promotion, marketing, and research-based programs and projects.

“Increasing the quality, production, and sale of malt and brewed beverages produced in Pennsylvania is vital not only to our growing beer industry, but these improvements also enhance agricultural and tourism opportunities in the Commonwealth,” Wolf said in press release. “These grants will explore how agriculture can better support brewers, give new tools and resources to beer makers, and ultimately help improve the craft beer experience for Pennsylvania consumers.”

• 2 months later...

Ohio man to drink only beer during Lent

NEWTOWN, Ohio (WKRC) — The season of Lent means Christians are fasting and giving up certain pleasures or vices.

One Ohio man is taking a page from history.

For 46 days, Del Hall is drinking only beer.

“I’m going to have all styles of beer,” the Fifty West worker said about the fast.

Beer will be the only thing on Hall’s menu and he won’t have solid food until Easter Sunday.

Hall says he’s taking a nod from monks in the 1600’s that would fast during the season by a bock beer diet.

“Being master brewers, they decided they would take a popular style of beer in Germany, bock beer, make it extra hearty and that would be their liquid bread and that’s what they call it,” Hall said. “So the monks in Bavaria, they would call doppelbock liquid bread and basically it would sustain them through the 46 days of Lent.”

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Reel-y? New beer can double as motion picture film developer

ROCHESTER, N.Y. (AP) — Kodak says a new beer hitting the market can be used to develop its Super 8 movie film.

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery in Delaware created its SuperEIGHT beer after a conversation with people at Kodak, the upstate New York technology company most famous for its photographic roots.

Dogfish learned from Kodak that heightened levels of acidity and vitamin C in certain beers could make them a processing agent for film. That inspired the brewery to design such a beer. Kodak helped by testing it.

Dogfish founder Sam Calagione says he’ll document his summer travels on Super 8 film that will be developed in SuperEIGHT beer and turned into a short film.

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

Okay I am bummed.  Bell's Two Hearted Ale is pretty much my go-to favorite beer.  My nearby Giant stopped carrying it.  So I went to the Bell's web site beer locator.  W! T! F! ... They've  totally stopped shipping to Virginia.

Orange below means Bell's. Gray means no Bells.  Look at Virginia.  No Two Hearted.  No Oberon Ale.  No Lager of the Lakes.  Why, Bell's Why?  I called them to ask.  I'll report back if/when I get an answer.

BellsNationalTerritoriesMap_GOLD-01.png

14 hours ago, Dan T. said:

Okay I am bummed.  Bell's Two Hearted Ale is pretty much my go-to favorite beer.  My nearby Giant stopped carrying it.  So I went to the Bell's web site beer locator.  W! T! F! ... They've  totally stopped shipping to Virginia.

Orange below means Bell's. Gray means no Bells.  Look at Virginia.  No Two Hearted.  No Oberon Ale.  No Lager of the Lakes.  Why, Bell's Why?  I called them to ask.  I'll report back if/when I get an answer.

https://www.abc.virginia.gov/enforcement/virginia-codes-and-regulations/legislative-update

Given the timing (and the odd hole in shipping), it seems it might have something to do with one of the new alcohol laws. Maybe the one adding records requirements?

*EDIT* No, it's legal, but not that...

https://www.brewbound.com/news/bells-brewery-to-cease-beer-shipments-to-virginia

Edited by techboy

Thanks Techboy.

So it's a distribution beef.  Bell's wanted out of its Virginia distribution agreement with Richmond-based Loveland Distribution prior to Loveland's acquisition by Premium Distributors, a subsidiary of the Reyes Beverage Group.  Legal wrangling commenced, and in the meantime, Larry Bell said I'm pulling out of Virginia.  Sucks.

Apparently Larry Bell has something against Reyes Beverage Group..  A similar situation occurred in Illinois in 2006 when a distributor of Bell's was purchased by Reyes.  Bell pulled out of Illinois and stayed out for two years.

• 7 months later...

BEERS MEANS YEARS Drinking beer daily ‘can nearly DOUBLE a man’s chances of hitting 90 compared to teetotallers’

A study has found that men who drink half a pint of beer a day nearly double their chance of hitting 90.

Those on half a pint of beer a day are 81 per cent more likely than teetotallers to reach a tenth decade.

Women who drink similar amounts increase by a third their chance of reaching that landmark.

Even blokes who consumed three nips of whisky or two pints daily — double the recommended NHS maximum — are two-thirds more likely to live to that ripe age when compared to abstainers.

The booze habits of 5,500 people were tracked by researchers from Maastricht University in Holland for over two decades.

Lead researcher Prof Dr Piet van den Brandt said: “Our analyses show significantly positive associations between alcohol and longevity in men and women.”

One theory is moderate drinking is good for heart health. But too much booze can be toxic, explaining why bingers do badly.

Miller Lite Is Offering Everyone a Free Case of Beer for Leap Day

There's a whole extra day this year. What are you going to do with it? It's easy to feel left out on Leap Day. Those folks who have birthdays on February 29 are getting free food everywhere they turn, and they'll probably throw a party since they only get one once every four years. But what do you get?

Free beer. That's what you get. To celebrate a bonus 24 hours on a Saturday for the first time since 1992 (even if that's an awfully subjective way to look at things), Miller Lite is offering a free 24-pack of beer. These kinds of things happen from time to time, and you often have to be in the right city or jump through more hoops than a circus lion in a silent film. Weirdly, Miller Lite is making this available to everyone, and they've made it relatively easy to redeem. 

On February 29, Miller Lite will post a QR code to its Instagram and Twitter accounts. You have to scan the code, so you'll need to use a computer or someone else's phone. The code will take you to a site where you can submit a receipt for a 24-pack of Miller Lite purchased on Leap Day. The cost of your case will be refunded to your PayPal account.

• 2 months later...

Doorbell camera catches masked 'Beer Fairy' dropping off care package on woman's porch

The tooth fairy may not be real, but thankfully there’s a beer fairy.

A woman in Ohio was recently surprised to find a couple of mysterious care packages appearing on her doorstep. When she checked her doorbell camera to find out who dropped off the gifts, she probably wasn’t expecting to see what the cameras had captured: